• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that was a fair comment a few years ago, but I think Buff has certainly matured since his boating DUI. Put it this way, I listened to guys like Andrew Ladd and Blake Wheeler yesterday and they certainly weren't rushing to Evander's defense. Also, it certainly sounds like this latest misstep by Evander is not an isolated incident and I think the team basically came to the conclusion that "enough is enough".

exactly i was just gonna mention that ... no one on the team is coming to Kanes defense here ... this is so far from being anything about bullying ... in fact they could have actually buried him completely by saying what he was doing when the team couldnt find him cause they all know where he was

interesting stuff from botch in the provies from a van perspective but gives insight about Kane off the ice

THE BEST OF KANE-TO-VANCOUVER

If ever there was a game that said “We need Kane,” this was it.

Outside of Winnipeg (and even that’s no sure thing), there is no team which has more information on Evander Kane and everything that accompanies him than the Canucks.

For years now, NHL circles have been dissecting the theory he wants out of Winnipeg.

It’s something which resonates in Vancouver, his hometown and a city long thought to be on the list of places he would like to play.

Also a city desperate for a dynamic, young top-six player.

So, in turn, it has long resonated with the Canucks, who have always had interest in Kane and collecting Kane intel.

It does come naturally to this organization. They have several ties to Winnipeg, where their AHL team once played, and to the Vancouver Giants, Kane’s junior team.

They also live in Vancouver, where just about everyone has a Kane story. Not many are good ones.

If there are Kane tales the Canucks don’t know, there aren’t many of them.

Up to this point, there’s been no push to come up with a plan directed toward acquiring Kane. The conclusion within the organization was that he is bad seed who will likely never change.

You can argue that point, but you don’t know 10 per cent of what the Canucks do.

The clown show which was Tuesday only underscores the concerns.

Added to the mix in the past year are a president who puts an emphasis on players’ off-ice habits, and a GM who is famous for his lack of patience with players who need to be babysat.

It’s why they’ve been trying to deal Kassian and his baggage. And why they have no interest in, say, Chris Stewart and his baggage.

So if they really are going to step up and make a serious bid for Kane, something which still remains a reach, they have a long way to come around on this guy.

That’s not to say the Canucks shouldn’t travel the distance. Young, dynamic players are more difficult to find than Ogopogo.

And teams like the Kings and Stars have had success buying low on notorious bad boys like Jeff Carter, Mike Richards and Tyler Seguin.

It just may be the fastest way to improve dramatically.

But how do the Canucks get there then?

I don’t believe ownership is going to be the one pushing Sir Bennington. Maybe last year. Then, Francesco was in Gilly’s office every day in the final months of the Gillis era. Literally.

But this year, Aquilini is rarely seen. Management met with him once very early in the year, and have not since.

(Suggests the family is either checking out or is deciding to let the hockey people be hockey people. Either way it shows you the pressure is not on this management group like it was the last one.)

A factor that could turn/is turning the Canucks around on Kane could be Willie. The Canucks coach has a lot of respect for Don Hay and Don Hay, in turn, is a coach who really, really liked Kane.

Another, and this is likely the most important factor, is Don Meehan. The Lord’s longtime agent also represents Kane.

If Kane really does want to come to Vancouver, there are few people who could influence the Lord more than Meehan can.

Do not underestimate Meehan.

There are some obvious selling points Meehan will lean on for a pitch. One, Kane’s camp can pin his behaviour on wanting out of Winnipeg.

Two, some believe Kane will be better off living near his father. That one’s pretty good.

Now, even if the Canucks come all the way around on Kane and decide to be a serious bidder, and they would have to decide to be all in, there still may not be a fit.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly i was just gonna mention that ... no one on the team is coming to Kanes defense here ... this is so far from being anything about bullying ... in fact they could have actually buried him completely by saying what he was doing when the team couldnt find him cause they all know where he was[/I]

Reading this article, I wouldn't want Kane near my team even if he was free. There are seriously that many stories of Evander Kane doing dumb shit?

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ruh-roh

Talbot is good, but he's not King Henrik. Don't know why more goalies don't wear that plastic shield to guard the neck. Probably would've save Lundy in this instance.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading this article, I wouldn't want Kane near my team even if he was free. There are seriously that many stories of Evander Kane doing dumb shit?

I was shootin the shit with my bro and dash's favorite cesspool employee who is a flames fan (lol) and a scenario was floated out there

if Kane played for the Canucks during the 2011 cup final, he would have probably left the bench when bergeron scored the half breakaway goal in game 7, got tanked and joined the riot that was going on outside

83% chance that would have probably happened

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was shootin the shit with my bro and dash's favorite cesspool employee who is a flames fan (lol) and a scenario was floated out there

if Kane played for the Canucks during the 2011 cup final, he would have probably left the bench when bergeron scored the half breakaway goal in game 7, got tanked and joined the riot that was going on outside

Christ. Winnipeg will be lucky to get David Clarkson for this guy.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ruh-roh

Talbot is good, but he's not King Henrik. Don't know why more goalies don't wear that plastic shield to guard the neck. Probably would've save Lundy in this instance.

Definitely would have helped lessen the impact. Maybe he'll return with the plastic shield (or maybe the team will mandate it).

Edit: As evolver points out below, look like Henrik already dons the shield. Just caught him in a bad spot.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely would have helped lessen the impact. Maybe he'll return with the plastic shield (or maybe the team will mandate it).

Goalies are nuts(sorry 43), and I can kinda understand not wanting that shield shifting around because it's just tied onto the mask, but taking a puck in the neck could be life-threatening. Not wearing that shield is downright scary, IMO.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ruh-roh

I'm not sure it would've, simply because his mask was lifted in the air exposing his neck by someone's stick. Really can't prevent those circumstances. I'm still putting my money on it being hyoid related.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure it would've, simply because his mask was lifted in the air exposing his neck by someone's stick. Really can't prevent those circumstances. I'm still putting my money on it being hyoid related.

I retract my previous. ^^^This vid seems to show he does wear the guard.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look forward to AV whipping this goalie injury situation with the Rags into a CONTROVERSY!!!

tumblr_m35ot3rwhx1rrylmeo1_250.gif

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I retract my previous. ^^^This vid seems to show he does wear the guard.

I was gonna say I thought he wore a shield.

Hope he recovers fast. Never had the pleasure of taking one high. But I was terrified of it happening every time I played. I usually moved my face down on rising shots so it would hit my face instead.

/goalie through and thorugh

Re: Kane/Buff. I realize that Buff has matured, but there's still something I don't like about the guy. Like he thinks his shit doesn't stink. And I didn't hear any of the interviews with teammates since I am in US media markets (Did you hear footballs got deflated once?). I don't doubt Kane has baggage. All I am saying is with his talent level, I'd take a chance on it only being a scenery change needed. Not a lot of Bruins were rushing to defend Seguin either. Likewise Flyers and Carter/Richards.

Hell, if Emery can become a (relatively) functioning member of society, anyone can.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 0:25, replace, "Screw you, you're fired!" with "Screw you, I'm out!" says Evander Kane

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: Kane/Buff. I realize that Buff has matured, but there's still something I don't like about the guy. Like he thinks his shit doesn't stink. And I didn't hear any of the interviews with teammates since I am in US media markets (Did you hear footballs got deflated once?). I don't doubt Kane has baggage. All I am saying is with his talent level, I'd take a chance on it only being a scenery change needed. Not a lot of Bruins were rushing to defend Seguin either. Likewise Flyers and Carter/Richards.

Hell, if Emery can become a (relatively) functioning member of society, anyone can.

I'd take Kane on the Pens in a second. He's 23 years old!! I think the change of scenery route is what's needed most for him.

I look at the Perron trade as a recent example. There were rumblings that he wasn't a 'team guy' in the lockerroom, and was unhappy being there (who wouldn't be). And look at him now! He's flourished since the trade, and has become everything Rutherford hoped he would be.

I think Kane could do something similar if given a new opportunity in a new city. Obviously, it won't happen this season, but I'm sure in July he will be a commodity at the draft.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do we know he didn't participate in the riot to begin with?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kane would work on the Pens for a couple of reasons:

1. Crosby will always be the alpha-male on that team and take the brunt of media attention.

2. Penguins still play second fiddle to the Steelers, so Evander can get away from the constant attention.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the Evander Kane situation is interesting for sure. Got to think he's out of there sooner rather than later but what team would take him on given how big a head case he is?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Crosby will always be the alpha-male on that team and take the brunt of media attention.

2. Penguins still play second fiddle to the Steelers, so Evander can get away from the constant attention.

agreed ... if he finds himself on a team with strong veteran presence he would excel and mature very fast

As jeff Oneill pointed out yesterday, there arent many teams like that though ... Its not like it was when he came into the league and 35 year old guys with a solid resume were on the team to smack a kid when he got out of line

its a young mans league now ... guys coming out of their ELC are now getting PAID like they made it and have arrived ... so instead ... in winnipeg you had a 23 year old in Kane whom jets management was looking for to actually be THE veteran influence in the room

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Crosby? Alpha male? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.