• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Iggy and 210 tried to go.
Linesmen were bombarded with boos when they stepped in the way.

that woulda been a good'un

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eberle and PK Petry to the Leafs for 210 and Booth and they swap first rounders in 15. (e4)

Did anyone catch Dreger's suggestion for an Eric Staal deal? Kadri, Gardiner and a 1st. Jesus Christ man, I think I could go to hfboards and find a more fair deal than that. But I suppose that still doesn't mean that Nonis isn't stupid enough to do it...

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone catch Dreger's suggestion for an Eric Staal deal? Kadri, Gardiner and a 1st. Jesus Christ man, I think I could go to hfboards and find a more fair deal than that. But I suppose that still doesn't mean that Nonis isn't stupid enough to do it...

Seriously? You gotta throw Bozak in as well.

:D

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? You gotta throw Bozak in as well.

:D

He actually mentioned that Bozak could be substituted for Kadri, but it would include one of those two.

I mean I'd rather deal Bozak, Gardiner and a 1st than Kadri, Gardiner and a 1st, but either of those packages would be crazy. But as I said before, that's no guarantee that Nonis won't do it.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes I think Eric Staal is older than he is (probably because it feels like he's been in the dang league forever), but I do wonder about how much productivity he has left. And he's only signed one more year I think ($8.25M), so it just seems...I dunno...like a horrible, horrible idea. I don't think "giving up" on Kadri is a good idea. Primed to breakout.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes I think Eric Staal is older than he is (probably because it feels like he's been in the dang league forever), but I do wonder about how much productivity he has left. And he's only signed one more year I think ($8.25M), so it just seems...I dunno...like a horrible, horrible idea. I don't think "giving up" on Kadri is a good idea. Primed to breakout.

I don't mind if guys are moved for a centre, but not that centre.

My preference is still a tank job but playing against teams who seemingly do not know how to play defence is really throwing a wrench into that plan.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westhead: Why Montreal is the worst NHL city...when it's tax time - Article - TSN

This makes me wonder why it's been so hard for Nashville to splash the cash when their cash is worth more than almost everybody else's cash.

I think Nashville is the American version of the Oilers EIG (Edmonton Investment Group) who used to own the Oilers before Katz bought them out. They don't have a single owner or entity per se and thus need to get majority approval before doling out more funds towards player salary.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westhead: Why Montreal is the worst NHL city...when it's tax time - Article - TSN

This makes me wonder why it's been so hard for Nashville to splash the cash when their cash is worth more than almost everybody else's cash.

This is only focusing on tax issues from the players' standpoint. Hard to say what type of taxation issues might be on the other side. I.e., what the owners are paying on payroll, property, income, etc.

I don't know it to be the case at all, but Tenn. might make up for their lack of personal income taxes by hitting the employers more.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is only focusing on tax issues from the players' standpoint. Hard to say what type of taxation issues might be on the other side. I.e., what the owners are paying on payroll, property, income, etc.

I don't know it to be the case at all, but Tenn. might make up for their lack of personal income taxes by hitting the employers more.

Very true. I'm also not sure what their building lease and take from parking/concessions is like.

EDIT: Their local TV contract is probably shit, too.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also found it interesting that they specifically talk about Lundqvist too. I don't know his family situation, but if he made his same salary in Sweden he'd pay between 54 and 62% income tax (probably closer to 50% when you factor in deductions). He'd also be subject to anywhere from 6% (bread, milk, etc.) to 25% (cars, TVs, restaurants) sales/VAT tax when he spends his money.

So he's doing better, even in NYC, than he would at home.

Same for all the other Swedes and the Finns.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true. I'm also not sure what their building lease and take from parking/concessions is like.

EDIT: Their local TV contract is probably shit, too.

Yeah, I don't know. I know the city/county own the arena, but I don't know any of the revenue breakdowns.

I'm sure if you factor in average ticket prices plus merch. sales, etc., it would have a big impact too, just like their TV deal.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could an NHL player declare Monte Carlo as his residence and avoid significant taxes? I know a lot of professional tennis players go that route.

/Much easier for tennis players due to them having to travel to where the tournaments are being held.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could an NHL player declare Monte Carlo as his residence and avoid significant taxes? I know a lot of professional tennis players go that route.

/Much easier for tennis players due to them having to travel to where the tournaments are being held.

I'm thinking both the US and Canadian tax-men would take issue with that.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking both the US and Canadian tax-men would take issue with that.

speaking from the cdn perspective, the person would have to cut any significant ties to canada ... plus there is that whole deemed non resident thing about how many days you can spend in canada without having to pay cdn income taxes

I envy my brother in law in seattle who can always pull this excuse out of the bag to avoid my wifes family get togethers

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:thumb:

[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]522398342580424704[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
speaking from the cdn perspective, the person would have to cut any significant ties to canada ... plus there is that whole deemed non resident thing about how many days you can spend in canada without having to pay cdn income taxes

I envy my brother in law in seattle who can always pull this excuse out of the bag to avoid my wifes family get togethers

I'm thinking that would mean no World's or Olympics, among other things.

Seems like a HUGE price to pay for most Canadians.

/I think they'd be allowed to keep all their extra u's though.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently now Nashville is hosting the All Star Game Buffalo was hosting the year before they were originally hosting the one the Leafs wanted to host? :gaah:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canadian dollar at a 5 1/2 year low, that could have a significant impact on NHL revenues (and the salary cap) if it stays low.

Status
Not open for further replies.