• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing evaluation of QB Brock Purdy

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has made some plays I haven't seen from Grop. I think with his extended College experience, for now he seems to read the field better than Lance, his (Lance) limited College experience as a factor. To me he looks like he might be starter capable, but as usual Short Sample Size and no film to exploit. We will see going forward.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has made some plays I haven't seen from Grop. I think with his extended College experience, for now he seems to read the field better than Lance, his (Lance) limited College experience as a factor. To me he looks like he might be starter capable, but as usual Short Sample Size and no film to exploit. We will see going forward.

It certainly helps having a stellar team around you with a kick ass running game. But ya, the dude looked fantastic and sure looked confident. Confidence like that in his first NFL start against the GOAT will likely translate into a solid career.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Purdy did what he needed to do, distribute the ball. Yes, having a stellar team around you makes it look easier. Get them the ball on time and let them do their thing. The O-line did a good job including McGlinchey. While he did throw an INT (called back), he still exceeded expectations because of the two 'deep' throws for TDs. JG wouldn't even be looking for these passes over 15 yards.

so NOW the expectations for Purdy are even HIGHER, yikes!

I don't think there were any miscommunication type breakdowns (O-line/TE/RBs)? Except for Hufanga on the Evans TD (called back), don't think there were miscommunication breakdowns in the Secondary?

Also, felt the 49ers got the better end from the zebras, on both calls and non-calls.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good Brock Purdy breakdown by Johnnydel

JT Osullivan's look at Purdy's start against the Bucs:

Last edited:

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy is doing the same thing we ask of Jimmy. Distribute the ball. Don't make mistakes. Only We've seen Purdy do a few things that Jimmy doesn't do--throw outside the numbers and show some mobility. It's only been 2 games, but he's shown a lot of promise. His play reminds me a little of Jeff Garcia. Again, if Trey played any games like this, we'd all be thrilled, so there's no reason not to be excited.

I've been amazed that the kid has played so well, but you can tell that the game isn't too big/fast for him. All his 3.5 years of experience as a starter in college is really showing. He's spotting coverage changes and making quick, correct reads (for the most part). Maybe playing at a smaller school with lesser talent has taught him to throw into smaller windows (a problem for a lot of young QBs).

This week against Seattle will be a big test for him. His first road game in a tough stadium and a divisional game where the division title is up for grabs. More pressure than usual, but so far, he looks up to it.

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think we fans are getting WAY ahead of Purdy? I see on Youtube all the QB projections for NEXT season, when we have four games left?! Seems we need to give Purdy more time (larger sample size) to "settle into" his actual level of play? While he has clearly exhibited things JG doesn't do, he may or may not 'settle' back over time? Mullens had a huge first game too, but he slowly settled back into his real level of play.

Just trying to be realistic, not negative. :-)

How can we project next season's QB status after two games by Purdy?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I see on Youtube thoughts of trading Trey Lance? My opinion is........ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! NO WAY, don't trade him.

Yes, Lance still needs more game reps but he's shown he can play, and is only improving.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st QB in NFL history to get a win in his first career start against Tom Brady!!!

That's a real stat I heard them say on ESPN this week. Jesus fucking christ! I'm not a stats guy but there can't be that many people "in the history of the NFL" that have had their first career start against Tom Brady. What a stupid waste of time that stat is. The next guy to do it will probably be the first QB in NFL history to get his first win against Tom Brady in his first start when the game started at 4pm and was an overcast sky and below 60 degrees and a bird flew over the stadium before kickoff. Stop wasting your breath and my time trying to make up stuff to make it sound important or impressive.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see how he looks in his first NFL road game (and vs a tough division rival). Thursday will be a great test to see what he might be.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Let's see how he looks in his first NFL road game (and vs a tough division rival). Thursday will be a great test to see what he might be.
Yes, after already passing two huge tests, here comes another. Not to mention the short week of preparation.

All QB's eventually have bad games, so we can't expect Purdy to remain 'perfect'. :-)

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough game and another test ahead for Brock Purdy.
1st road game. Hostile venue. Division rival.
No Deebo Samuel. (but he has other weapons)
Short week. (for both teams)
Seahawks will be angry & ready following a loss at home to the 4-8 Panthers. (now 5-8)

That said.....SF is favored by 3...with the O/U at 44.

I got the Niners 27-23.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, after already passing two huge tests, here comes another. Not to mention the short week of preparation.

All QB's eventually have bad games, so we can't expect Purdy to remain 'perfect'. :-)
He's played well against 2 playoff level teams. The kid's poise in teh pocket and ability to process information and read defenses quickly has been very impressive. It's also clear that he's got some physical limitations (he's short and he's got average-at-best arm).

Having said that, I agree that the hype train is getting ridiculous. Yes, he's played well, but it's just 2 games. The idea of trading Lance b/c of Purdy is just crazy. Talk of making him a franchise QB is WAY premature.

This next game will be the toughest he's had imo--a dog fight against a division rival on the road on a short week. It'll be a BIG test.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A film breakdown of the Bucs game. Some good stuff on Brock in there...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good performance again and certainly passing this test. Purdy may or may not drop down in play but he's not going down a cliff. After these three games, he just looks too comfortable in this offense. This scheme and talent around him is obviously a big help.

Still not looking to next year with Purday, just enjoying this ride. When we were 3-4 after getting blitzed by the Chiefs, football couldn't have been more miserable. Let's just enjoy it now.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, while i don't want to get too far ahead of Purdy, he's already shown he can make the same passes as JG. He can run the offense just as good as JG was doing. Why does he need to do well in the play-offs, JG didn't do a lot in the play-offs?

However, Purdy ADDS movement in the pocket to avoid some sacks. He also adds the longer passes downfield and outside the numbers. So these two things essentially pushes him above JG. Now Shanahan can call for receivers to 'release' downfield, as demonstrated in the last two games.
I read this somewhere and think it fits. So far, Purdy is what Jimmy-lovers think Jimmy is.

From what we've seen, Purdy IS Jimmy plus a little extra. And you're right on Jimmy in the playoffs. There is no doubt that Jimmy has a good record in the playoffs (4-2), but His per game playoff stats aren't much:
2019, 3 games, averaged 12 of 19 for 142yds, 0.7TDs, 1 INT
2021, 3 games, averaged 14 of 25 for 178yds, 0.7TDs, 1 INT

It's early on Purdy, but very promising. So far, he's answered the questions.
Can he play well in the NFL?
How does he do as a starter?
Well, what about on the road?
Yea, but what has he done in the playoffs?...we'll find out in a few weeks. Looking at the stats above, I like his chances.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I read this somewhere and think it fits. So far, Purdy is what Jimmy-lovers think Jimmy is.

From what we've seen, Purdy IS Jimmy plus a little extra. And you're right on Jimmy in the playoffs. There is no doubt that Jimmy has a good record in the playoffs (4-2), but His per game playoff stats aren't much:
2019, 3 games, averaged 12 of 19 for 142yds, 0.7TDs, 1 INT
2021, 3 games, averaged 14 of 25 for 178yds, 0.7TDs, 1 INT

It's early on Purdy, but very promising. So far, he's answered the questions.
Can he play well in the NFL?
How does he do as a starter?
Well, what about on the road?
Yea, but what has he done in the playoffs?...we'll find out in a few weeks. Looking at the stats above, I like his chances.
Yes, thats how i view it too, Purdy is a better JG because he brings a few more things to the offense. Purdy will not become an elite NFL QB but he'll continue to operate THIS offense. With time he'll throw less 'obvious' INT's.

The key now is avoiding major injuries.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, yea, it's still "early", but Brock has played against several playoff or playoff-level teams, and he's been shockingly good. Not Maholmes good, but easily Jimmy-good. So far, Brock's numbers match up pretty well with Jimmy's, here are some I found online:

PPF passing grades, 69.0 to 69.5
Passer rating: 103.2 to 103
Yds per attempt: 7.9 to 7.9
Completion rate: 67.0% to 67.2%

Those #s are Brock then Jimmy. It's really shocking how well Brock is playing when his play this season is compared to Jimmy's this season. Brock's numbers on things like TDs/game and INTs/game actually look even better if you only include these last 4 games (the Brock games since Jimmy went down). It'll be hard for his playoff numbers to be worse than Jimmy's and I''m sure he'll have a bad game here or there, but it's getting hard not to see this guy as the starter going forward.

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep, Brock is doing the same thing JG did and then some.

JG does have a long track record so in that way he's proven to be consistent with these stats. Brock will likely continue around these levels as long as the O-line is playing like this. Yes, he'll have a bad game sooner or later same as all QB's, but don't see why he wouldn't sustain these levels over time (regular season)?

The two things Brock has added over JG are downfield throws which everyone sees (highlight plays); and his ability to avoid sacks. He doesn't avoid all of them but seems like he avoids most. Avoiding negative yards is good by itself but most times he gets positive yards too.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy has exceeded my expectations in a very good way,the game isn't over around 7 minutes left in the game. I would rather Purdy start in the playoffs even if Grop is available as he has earned it. He does more things than Grop while being Grop in Grop's good ways. :D:bounce::rockon:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Purdy has exceeded my expectations in a very good way,the game isn't over around 7 minutes left in the game. I would rather Purdy start in the playoffs even if Grop is available as he has earned it. He does more things than Grop while being Grop in Grop's good ways. :D:bounce::rockon:
Purdy has exceeded EVERYONE's expectation by a mile, at least a mile. He has also taken pressure off the defense, which will face better offenses shortly.

Even if JG is ready for the play-offs, there is NO way you insert him now.