• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing evaluation of QB Brock Purdy

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things I keep hearing about Purdy and my responses:

It’s the system and the talent around him.
--then why is he playing as well or better than Jimmy did?
--was it the system and the talent around Jimmy that made Jimmy as good as he was?
--if it’s the system and the talent, does Purdy’s play means Jimmy was overrated?

Purdy hasn’t played anybody.
--He played against 3 playoff teams in his first 3 games (Miami, Tampa, @seattle).

He’s got a low ceiling.
--People are acting like this is the best Purdy can ever be. That’s just nonsense.
--Why can’t he improve from where he is now? Timing, accuracy, mechanics, reads, etc.
--The Niners don’t ask their QB to be Maholmes, so it doesn't matter that he'll never be Maholmes.
--The QB just has to be better than Jimmy, which so far, Purdy has shown himself to be

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if JG is ready for the play-offs, there is NO way you insert him now.
Like the Wentz and Foles debate.

The kid is riding on confidence right now, he may not be able to spot trouble like say, Brady. I'd play him and why? because what's around him hasn't changed

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Things I keep hearing about Purdy and my responses:

It’s the system and the talent around him.
--then why is he playing as well or better than Jimmy did?
--was it the system and the talent around Jimmy that made Jimmy as good as he was?
--if it’s the system and the talent, does Purdy’s play means Jimmy was overrated?

Purdy hasn’t played anybody.
--He played against 3 playoff teams in his first 3 games (Miami, Tampa, @seattle).

He’s got a low ceiling.
--People are acting like this is the best Purdy can ever be. That’s just nonsense.
--Why can’t he improve from where he is now? Timing, accuracy, mechanics, reads, etc.
--The Niners don’t ask their QB to be Maholmes, so it doesn't matter that he'll never be Maholmes.
--The QB just has to be better than Jimmy, which so far, Purdy has shown himself to be
Draft-niks projected the same things about Purdy's ceiling, they had it much lower due to measurements. But what no one can measure are the intangibles and Purdy has a lot of it. His intangibles far out outweight his lack of measurables, just have to look at the results. People find it easier to critique than to compliment in life, and its not just football.

In the history of the NFL, a lot of the top players fell into the right "system", fell into it at the right time. Likewise, many a top players never panned out because of falling into the wrong system, at the wrong time. Purdy's success IS enhanced by the quality of this team, but its a smalleer factor, not THE factor.

In the beginning of the season, If someone has said we'd have to insert Purdy in game 13, NO ONE would expect this result. So appreciate the results as opposed to wanting even more from him.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, but how will Purdy play in the playoffs? The teams will be better and the defenses will be better.

So far, the answer to that is "pretty well."

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy has played great.

The 9ers have a great team around him and a stellar defense that keeps the team in any game, which is a huge help as it is not all on his shoulders to win games.

The answers regarding Purdy will come next season when every team has tape on him, and the team around him changes.

Like Shaun King, another rookie that was thrust into starting due to injury and played well because the team was solid and the defense was stellar.

Then, the team lost some players, teams had game tape on him and he wasn’t able to replicate his early success.

Next season will tell the tale regarding Purdy, but the script is going well so far.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Purdy has played great.

The 9ers have a great team around him and a stellar defense that keeps the team in any game, which is a huge help as it is not all on his shoulders to win games.

The answers regarding Purdy will come next season when every team has tape on him, and the team around him changes.

Like Shaun King, another rookie that was thrust into starting due to injury and played well because the team was solid and the defense was stellar.

Then, the team lost some players, teams had game tape on him and he wasn’t able to replicate his early success.

Next season will tell the tale regarding Purdy, but the script is going well so far.
Yes, its going well so far and hopefully its enough for the whole shebang. The talent and momentum are there so need to strike when the opportunity arises. I mean this game to game and NOT assuming anything more, every game has its own surprises.

Yes, next season Purdy continues building his track record and so we'll see? The teams to test him the most are the NFC West teams, they know each other best. No guarantee he continues at this level of play and its a given the team will change, not for the better. We traded away draft picks and it catches up to you.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really like the breakdowns that JT does
Yea, Johnnydel has a better grip on our playcalls and the route combinations, but JT has more knowledge of the nuances of playing QB. He's focused on just that one position. Always a good watch.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, Johnnydel has a better grip on our playcalls and the route combinations, but JT has more knowledge of the nuances of playing QB. He's focused on just that one position. Always a good watch.
Totally... in terms of pure QB breakdown, I'm a JT fan. Kyle Posey of ninernation does some pretty good all-22 breakdowns as well. More akin to Johnnydel.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for the "Purdy only throws the ball short" narrative:

Purdy finished third in Week 1 among all QBs in average completed air yards. It’s one game, but Purdy had more attempts and completions beyond 15 yards than he did at or behind the line of scrimmage.

Thirteen of Purdy’s 29 attempts were over ten yards. He had nine attempts over 15 and a few more over 20. And this all came in a blowout, without the 49ers really needing to throw the ball at all in the second half.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for the "Purdy only throws the ball short" narrative:

Purdy finished third in Week 1 among all QBs in average completed air yards. It’s one game, but Purdy had more attempts and completions beyond 15 yards than he did at or behind the line of scrimmage.

Thirteen of Purdy’s 29 attempts were over ten yards. He had nine attempts over 15 and a few more over 20. And this all came in a blowout, without the 49ers really needing to throw the ball at all in the second half.
The dude checks all the boxes so far... just gotta keep him healthy (fingers crossed). He's clearly the QB Shanahan has been waiting for. Anyone that wants to nit pick his game is welcome to do so, but I ain't gonna go there.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Purdy's throws with timing so most times - not all - the receiver looks 'wide' open. Even without the zip, he throws it on time so he doesn't rely on zip.

He can move around on some plays to keep it alive, soething Russell Wilson used to kill us with. even if Purdy throws it away, it avoids a sack or lost yardage. Kaepernik used to run out of bounds and lose yards.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy's throws with timing so most times - not all - the receiver looks 'wide' open. Even without the zip, he throws it on time so he doesn't rely on zip.

He can move around on some plays to keep it alive, soething Russell Wilson used to kill us with. even if Purdy throws it away, it avoids a sack or lost yardage. Kaepernik used to run out of bounds and lose yards.
More than anything, I think his decision-making and confidence to make "the throw" are off the charts for his experience level

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
seems to be picking up where he left off last regular season that means plus things for the 49ers.
No doubt and to me this is him and there's no need to keep "seeing more track record". I wouldn't label him a 'Franchise QB' because IMO a Franchise QB can make any team's offense work. We simply haven't seen that yet and hopefully never do. :-)

But Purdy is GOOD and possesses a lot of intangibles.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt and to me this is him and there's no need to keep "seeing more track record". I wouldn't label him a 'Franchise QB' because IMO a Franchise QB can make any team's offense work. We simply haven't seen that yet and hopefully never do. :-)

But Purdy is GOOD and possesses a lot of intangibles.
never expected mr irrelevant to be such a good qb