• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49er QBs

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The San Francisco 49ers committed to Brock Purdy as their starter in 2023 on Monday. Trey Wingo explains why Purdy’s competence has become a “bailout” for the the 49ers following their Trey Lance draft blunder in 2021.

Don't agree.

Take Purdy out of the picture for now and just look at Trey Lance. We all knew Lance would need experience first, even as much as two seasons. So his rookie year he made good progress despite being the back-up to JG. I believe Lance played in two games his rookie season? Not two total solid games but he showed good PROGRESS.

In year 2 he's good enough to be the starter but was hard luck in the mud bowl. He couldn't show much under those weather conditions in Chicago. In game 2 he gets hurt because he was asked to run it up the gut. The injury is just one of those things in the NFL, not an indication Lance can't play. He lost almost the entire year 2 due to injury and couldn't continue his progress.

When looking at Lance to date, he's still on track to fulfill his potential, we've only given him a rookie season and 1-1/2 games in 2022. He's a shown some good stuff in real games, John Chapman (via Youtube) showed a clip of Lance throwing short routes too. We all know Lance can throw deeper and to the sidelines, and can break the pocket and turn a broken play into 12-15 yards. He MIGHT add things Purdy doesn't have.

But all of this is muddled now because of Purdy's success. We're TOTALLY glad for Purdy and its all gravy, not an indictment of Lance nor a bailout. We fans naturally compare them but that's unfair to Lance, GREAT for the 49ers but unfair to Lance because now fans EXPECT him to play like Purdy....NOW. Don't have a problem with Purdy remaining the starter soon as he's healthy, but all of this "gravy" shouldn't downgrade Lance.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know for sure if Lance is a bust or not. LIke Zack Wilson--we know. The same can't be said of Lance just yet. He needs playing time to get any better.

Still, the author isn't alone in his feelings on Lance. Ian Rapoport said that Sam Darnold will, more likely than not, be the week 1 starter for the team.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but If Darnold beats out Lance...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We don't know for sure if Lance is a bust or not. LIke Zack Wilson--we know. The same can't be said of Lance just yet. He needs playing time to get any better.

Still, the author isn't alone in his feelings on Lance. Ian Rapoport said that Sam Darnold will, more likely than not, be the week 1 starter for the team.

Yes, no one knows if Lance is a bust or not, but why is he being compared to Purdy? Purdy did extra EXTRA good and we're all happy about it, but it shouldn't reflect on Lance. IMO Lance's progress is still on track.

Darnold could end up the starter game 1, but for me its not likely. Assuming Purdy isn't quite ready, i'd put my money on Lance.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Sam Darnold could be the San Francisco 49ers' Week 1 starter should Brock Purdy not be medically cleared for game-day action. That certainly would not shock anyone. Darnold will compete with still inexperienced third-year quarterback Trey Lance. While Darnold has 55 NFL starts under his belt, Lance has just four, including this past season's Week 2 game in which Lance suffered a season-ending ankle injury early on.

While Darnold beating out Lance would not surprise most, one statement by a respected 49ers insider might come as a shock.

"Here's the deal. Sam Donald might be the most—can I say this—the most talented thrower of the football that the 49ers have ever had," NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco boldly stated Thursday morning on KNBR's Murph & Mac show."

Didn't like the Darnold signing and still don't, felt the level they should've signed was a 'Brandon Allen'. You then draft a later QB plus add an UDFA if necessary for camp purposes. Darnold is a turnover machine going all the way back to his college career, and it includes fumbling too. No matter how well you throw between the 20's, an INT kills everything and more. 'More' because it demoralizes the offense AND defense. To think Shannahan's scheme will fix it, is asking for the world. If Darnold can't see the field, then he can't in any scheme.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"The biggest issues for Lance during his first two seasons in San Francisco have been lack of accuracy and consistency.

Lance has all the potential in the world, and with Brock Purdy out while recovering from surgery on his throwing elbow, the door is open for the former first round pick to take over. He needs to go out and leave no doubt in the minds of his coaches and teammates that he deserves the starting job.

This is what we saw from Brock Purdy during the regular season. The rookie came in and instead of the offensive production slowing down, it improved to levels not before seen in Kyle Shanahan’s tenure with San Francisco.

It’s clear Lance has more than enough arm strength to hit every throw in the 49ers playbook. In addition to the big downfield throws, he needs to show he can consistently make the underneath throws which help keep the offense flowing.
"

Purdy has cranked up the time clock on Lance, he doesn't have much time before Purdy gets back to taking snaps. Anyway, Lance also needs to win over his teammates, not just Shannahan.

We fans just want him to show progress beginning now, he doesn't HAVE to practice perfectly. Just show improvement on every facet which he should be able to do. Whether he plays much or little during the regular season, the more he shows, the more trade value he becomes.

JimBob

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The San Francisco 49ers committed to Brock Purdy as their starter in 2023 on Monday. Trey Wingo explains why Purdy’s competence has become a “bailout” for the the 49ers following their Trey Lance draft blunder in 2021.

Don't agree.

Take Purdy out of the picture for now and just look at Trey Lance. We all knew Lance would need experience first, even as much as two seasons. So his rookie year he made good progress despite being the back-up to JG. I believe Lance played in two games his rookie season? Not two total solid games but he showed good PROGRESS.

In year 2 he's good enough to be the starter but was hard luck in the mud bowl. He couldn't show much under those weather conditions in Chicago. In game 2 he gets hurt because he was asked to run it up the gut. The injury is just one of those things in the NFL, not an indication Lance can't play. He lost almost the entire year 2 due to injury and couldn't continue his progress.

When looking at Lance to date, he's still on track to fulfill his potential, we've only given him a rookie season and 1-1/2 games in 2022. He's a shown some good stuff in real games, John Chapman (via Youtube) showed a clip of Lance throwing short routes too. We all know Lance can throw deeper and to the sidelines, and can break the pocket and turn a broken play into 12-15 yards. He MIGHT add things Purdy doesn't have.

But all of this is muddled now because of Purdy's success. We're TOTALLY glad for Purdy and its all gravy, not an indictment of Lance nor a bailout. We fans naturally compare them but that's unfair to Lance, GREAT for the 49ers but unfair to Lance because now fans EXPECT him to play like Purdy....NOW. Don't have a problem with Purdy remaining the starter soon as he's healthy, but all of this "gravy" shouldn't downgrade Lance.
I totally, but respectfully, disagree with you on Lance. He doesn’t get it. He has an arm but is incredibly slow in his defense reads and decision making. He has “bust”written all over him
I am interested though to see how Sam Darnold does with finally some good coaching and a system that seems to be a good fit for his skill set
Having said that, I’d like to see Purdy keep the job

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I totally, but respectfully, disagree with you on Lance. He doesn’t get it. He has an arm but is incredibly slow in his defense reads and decision making. He has “bust”written all over him
I am interested though to see how Sam Darnold does with finally some good coaching and a system that seems to be a good fit for his skill set
Thats fine if you disagree, differing opinions are good for discussion.

I'm sure there are more than a few fans who no longer believe in Lance, but remember it was well known he needed more experience which he hasn't gotten yet. Last year's injury delayed his 'experience' almost an entire season, not his fault. I cannot say he'll pan out to his draft status but he should be given every opportunity now to show improvement. OTA, TC, and Pre-Season aren't the same as regular season games, but in this case everything counts.

Anyway, my opinion is we don't know yet if "He doesn't get it"?

Then Purdy came along which was a HUGE positive for 49er fans, but Purdy is just that.....a huge positive. Lance shouldn't be judged against Purdy's performance last season, much different college experiences.

JimBob

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats fine if you disagree, differing opinions are good for discussion.

I'm sure there are more than a few fans who no longer believe in Lance, but remember it was well known he needed more experience which he hasn't gotten yet. Last year's injury delayed his 'experience' almost an entire season, not his fault. I cannot say he'll pan out to his draft status but he should be given every opportunity now to show improvement. OTA, TC, and Pre-Season aren't the same as regular season games, but in this case everything counts.

Anyway, my opinion is we don't know yet if "He doesn't get it"?

Then Purdy came along which was a HUGE positive for 49er fans, but Purdy is just that.....a huge positive. Lance shouldn't be judged against Purdy's performance last season, much different college experiences.
I gotta disagree again. If they do give Lance “every opportunity” then that retards the growth of Purdy who has shown that he is head and shoulders ahead of Lance. Lance, at the expense of Purdy is not a good option in my opinion. And I bet, though they cannot admit it publicly, that Shanahan and Lynch agree with me

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I gotta disagree again. If they do give Lance “every opportunity” then that retards the growth of Purdy who has shown that he is head and shoulders ahead of Lance. Lance, at the expense of Purdy is not a good option in my opinion. And I bet, though they cannot admit it publicly, that Shanahan and Lynch agree with me
Is it true what some are saying about that "new account" of yours in the Warriors/Lakers playoff series thread?...and even is some of the threads in the PF as well ??

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Whoa......it wasn't clear so let me say my opinion is to give every opportunity to Lance UNTIL Purdy is able to return. Don't want it to be a competition between Lance and Darnold now.

While Purdy is on track to start throwing in July, no guarantees he'll be quite ready game 1.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The biggest issues for Lance during his first two seasons in San Francisco have been lack of accuracy and consistency.

Lance has all the potential in the world, and with Brock Purdy out while recovering from surgery on his throwing elbow, the door is open for the former first round pick to take over. He needs to go out and leave no doubt in the minds of his coaches and teammates that he deserves the starting job.

This is what we saw from Brock Purdy during the regular season. The rookie came in and instead of the offensive production slowing down, it improved to levels not before seen in Kyle Shanahan’s tenure with San Francisco.

It’s clear Lance has more than enough arm strength to hit every throw in the 49ers playbook. In addition to the big downfield throws, he needs to show he can consistently make the underneath throws which help keep the offense flowing.
"

Purdy has cranked up the time clock on Lance, he doesn't have much time before Purdy gets back to taking snaps. Anyway, Lance also needs to win over his teammates, not just Shannahan.

We fans just want him to show progress beginning now, he doesn't HAVE to practice perfectly. Just show improvement on every facet which he should be able to do. Whether he plays much or little during the regular season, the more he shows, the more trade value he becomes.
I knew Lance was in trouble when he struggled to hit the short, easy throws--the hitch, the shallow cross, the WR screen.

I am still somewhat amazed at how well Purdy played. And so quickly. He seemed to fit within the scheme right off the bat.

No doubt, Purdy's quick, competent grasp of the offense put a ton of pressure on Lance. It's put up or shut up time for him. With Purdy likely to miss some regular season time, Lance has his chance and if he can't beat out Darnold that'll tell us all we need to know.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I knew Lance was in trouble when he struggled to hit the short, easy throws--the hitch, the shallow cross, the WR screen.

I am still somewhat amazed at how well Purdy played. And so quickly. He seemed to fit within the scheme right off the bat.

No doubt, Purdy's quick, competent grasp of the offense put a ton of pressure on Lance. It's put up or shut up time for him. With Purdy likely to miss some regular season time, Lance has his chance and if he can't beat out Darnold that'll tell us all we need to know.
The way i look at it is Lance is still on track from what everyone knew, that he'd need time to gain experience. He's still on track but delayed one year due to injury. If you look at his progress its fine and John Chapman's Youtube showed he has even progressed at throwing short passes. Chapman made a Youtube with all of the short throws Lance completed, it showed progress for sure.

However, Lance's "image" is now skewed because Purdy came in the played like Tom Brady. So naturally fans are now expecting Lance to play just like Purdy. This isn't fair to Lance who is on track and working hard to improve.

Purdy needs to start when he's ready, but Lance still has a chance to pan out very good.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Kyle Shanahan believes Brock Purdy will be even better after he comes back from his elbow injury, and that could be in training camp.

Purdy has worked diligently during the early phases of the 49ers' offseason program, two months after undergoing surgery on the ulnar collateral ligament in his throwing arm, and Shanahan gave an update on the 49ers quarterback's progress Wednesday night.

As long as Brock’s elbow heals right, he will be the exact same guy,” the 49ers coach said during the Dwight Clark Legacy Series event at the California Theatre. “And when you have a clean break like that, or tear, it will be. You can’t have a setback and you can’t have something heal wrong, but everything has been completely on pace.

“Just watching him now, he’s doing all the same drills all the other quarterbacks are doing. He’s just using a towel to throw. But still doing violent motions, still moving it, but he’s just not doing it with a football. He will get closer to that, and as long as there’s not a setback, we think he will be there in training camp [in July], but he can get so much better right now.

Ok good, so far Brock is doing well with his recovery. IF there's no setback and he's back for TC, then he'll be given the most reps. Unfortunately, Lance won't be able to show as much but that's life.

Obviously, we want Purdy to keep it up so we don't start the season so slow. We need to win more games early on to give ourselves a chance at the #1 seed.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Barrows wrote this about the rookie minicamp. Apparently, one of the rookie QBs had the same injury and surgery as Purdy did and just a year later, the rookie is throwing just fine. That is a good signal for Purdy.

"Thorson's arm strength is newsworthy considering he suffered an elbow injury nearly a year ago while playing for the USFL's Houston Gamblers — in a game against the Philadelphia Stars — and had the same 'internal brace' procedure that Brock Purdy had in March. Thorson did not appear to be hindered in Friday's session."

This is excellent news for Purdy and the 49ers, especially if Purdy can recover as Thorson has. Same injury. Same surgery. Same city (ironically). And Thorson is throwing the ball well.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At this point, agree with the below....its not that complicated.

"There’s an air of uncertainty around what the 49ers are going to do under center this season. Quarterback Brock Purdy is still recovering from offseason elbow surgery, and QBs Trey Lance and Sam Darnold are duking it out for positioning on the depth chart. While there may be a lack of clarity going into training camp, there isn’t much complexity.

Purdy is going to start whenever he’s healthy. Head coach Kyle Shanahan and general manager John Lynch called him the leader in the clubhouse for the starting job. Now Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer and NBC Sports Bay Area’s Matt Maiocco are reporting Purdy will be the team’s starter in 2023. San Francisco is putting Purdy on a recovery track that puts him in line to play the season opener.

So, that’s the extent of the 49ers’ QB situation. Purdy will start with the winner of the Lance-Darnold battle landing as the backup. This is the team’s plan.

There are caveats here.

Perhaps Purdy has a physical setback or struggles with the mental hurdles of returning from a catastrophic injury to his throwing elbow. That would throw a wrench into things.

Lance did workout with Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes this offseason. Shanahan at the NFL owners’ meetings did leave the door open for one of Lance or Darnold to jump into the conversation for the starting spot, but it’s hard to envision that happening unless Lance becomes Mahomes or Darnold becomes the greatest quarterback in 49ers history.

Those caveats aren’t necessarily realistic though, and the decision makers in Santa Clara are very publicly high on Purdy after he went 7-1 as a starter last season with his lone loss coming in the NFC championship game.

There may be fans who want to see someone other than Purdy under center. They may want Lance to get a real chance to start games. Maybe some Darnold fans are pounding the table for him to be QB1 in red and gold. Brandon Allen, anyone? Okay, moving on.

Clarity is at a minimum with Purdy’s injury and the Lance-Darnold battle. Those are things we won’t know until we get through training camp. What we do know from what the 49ers have said publicly though is that Purdy is in line to be the team’s starter whenever’s he’s ready to play football again. It’s not much more complicated than that.
"

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The kid has played 5 games in 3 years between college and the pros. What exactly are you basing your observation on? And how funny that you discount Lance after 4 games but are "interested to see" how Darnold, who has sucked for full ass seasonS, as in plural, does in our system. The same system that you say couldn't develop Lance. Please make it make sense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The kid has played 5 games in 3 years between college and the pros. What exactly are you basing your observation on? And how funny that you discount Lance after 4 games but are "interested to see" how Darnold, who has sucked for full ass seasonS, as in plural, does in our system. The same system that you say couldn't develop Lance. Please make it make sense.
Agree.

NOT rooting for Darnold to fail BUT, his track record going back to USC is full of INT's. After five (5) years in the NFL, you don't "all of a sudden" get it. I'm sure Shannahan's scheme and the surrounding talent will help him look better, but deep down he is what he is.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's seriously look at Purdy's injury from a football standpoint. He had an injury that is rare in QBs, which means we have a limited scope of knowledge of his true abilities to bounce back by comparing it to other QBs who dealt with the same injury. The only success story is Delhomme from CAR years back and even that was a lukewarm review. On a player like Purdy, whose weakness was already arm strength, I don't see a rush is needed to get Purdy back on the field by Week 1. We can simultaneously allow Purdy to FULLY recover from his injury while allowing Lance, who we invested plenty of capital towards, a true opportunity to prove that he is ready to surpass the production that Purdy has done. This seems like a no brainer that can happen organically.

Beetle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Adam Shefter reported that there was no trade market at all for Lance. No one wants him. At least for now I think it’s not so bad for your team because he’s still fairly cheap even for a third string QB behind Purdy and Darnold

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Shefter reported that there was no trade market at all for Lance. No one wants him. At least for now I think it’s not so bad for your team because he’s still fairly cheap even for a third string QB behind Purdy and Darnold
Yes, he's still on his rookie contract.

Didn't want to trade Lance myself, because there is nothing to indicate he's a bust. His progress got delayed almost a season but that isn't his fault. Finding a super surprise in Purdy is the 49ers huge gain, not a reflection of Lance's progress.