• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing evaluation of QB Brock Purdy

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
boy, the left side of the line had some issues too, at least from the plays that JT picked. Highlighted some of the accuracy issues we saw as well. Still, overall a solid outing.
Very good point on the Oline. They were having issues when faced with multiple rushers. Too many free runners. Still Brock stood there and delivered the pass. And did it pretty well.

Another good video of Brock b/c he went over several of his missed throws.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very good point on the Oline. They were having issues when faced with multiple rushers. Too many free runners. Still Brock stood there and delivered the pass. And did it pretty well.

Another good video of Brock b/c he went over several of his missed throws.
Something i saw on Youtube which I haven't noticed..............opponents have been blitzing Purdy since LAST season. Blitzing by all opponents at a higher rate than NFL average. This season the blitzing has only been carrying over and it makes sense, what's a defense to do? Defenses pick the lesser of the 2 evils and pressuring Purdy with mixed blitzes, makes more sense than letting him scan and throw.

Looked at it from the 49ers side, all these blitzes have given the O-line experience. Doesn't mean individual linemen won't have breakdowns, but the communication should be good. Communication between linemen but also with TE's and RB's. If someone gets beat then i can buy it, don't like it but sometimes good defensive players make plays. But mistakes due to miscommunication is hard to accept.

To start the game, Purdy wasn't just missing, he was missing badly. So it made us fans think he had a horrible GAME. ie we're now spoiled. :-)

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta admit that Purdy looks pretty good in this graphic...

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to wonder why Purdy is still so doubted.

--"yea, but wait until defenses get some tape on him"--that's DOA. Defenses have plenty of tape on him at this point.

--"next year will really determine if he's any good"--his performance this years is just as good as last season

--"it's the Shanny system that makes him look like this"--it's true that he fits really well in this system and that he probably wouldn't be nearly as good in other systems, but he IS in this system and he DOES look this good

--"anyone could succeed at QB in SF"--tell that to Trey Lance, Nick Mullens, CJ Beathard, etc.

Honestly, if you put Justin Herbert on the Niners and he produced identical stats to Purdy's, he'd be in the MVP discussion.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to wonder why Purdy is still so doubted.

--"yea, but wait until defenses get some tape on him"--that's DOA. Defenses have plenty of tape on him at this point.

--"next year will really determine if he's any good"--his performance this years is just as good as last season

--"it's the Shanny system that makes him look like this"--it's true that he fits really well in this system and that he probably wouldn't be nearly as good in other systems, but he IS in this system and he DOES look this good

--"anyone could succeed at QB in SF"--tell that to Trey Lance, Nick Mullens, CJ Beathard, etc.

Honestly, if you put Justin Herbert on the Niners and he produced identical stats to Purdy's, he'd be in the MVP discussion.
Yeah... it's totally a "show me" league right now. If Purdy continues to perform as he has, and develops even more (the dude is still less than a season into his professional career), folks will collectively get onboard. Anyone who has watched the 9ers for a few decades can see with their own two eyes that Purdy is the best QB they've had since Jeff Garcia. Probably even better than Garcia. When I listen to a lot of the former-player talking heads (the guys who have played the game), for the most part, they say he's a stud. I take a lot from that. Former players know fakes when they see them. There are a few former-player critics, but they always seem to say the same thing - "let's see what he does when the team is down by 7 with 3 minutes remaining."... which is fine, but with the body of work he's put out there and the games that he's played on the schedule, he's already crushing it. So I discount that take a little bit. The body language of his teammates tell the story too. At the end of the day, he's directing the SF offense at an elite level given the positions they are actually in. If they don't want to call him "good", I could give two shits as long as the team keeps winning with him at the helm.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After watching a lot of Youtube breaking down Purdy, its clear to me he's a top NFL QB. If someone argues its because he's in SF, that's fine but his processing, accuracy, and timing is already proven. Youtube includes former NFL QB's breaking it down, and they comment on how QB's must read certain defensive players for different plays. They also comment of how a QB needs to process thru the route tree and Purdy has demonstrated this too. They show lots of plays where Purdy "throws them open".

Not ready to say he's a Franchise QB, but right now he's a top NFL QB. IMO a Franchise QB is able to win even without as much talent around him.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through 17 games Purdy is 14-3 as a starter. Here are his numbers:

69.7 percent completion rate
4,283 passing yards
34 touchdown passes
8 interceptions
9.4 yards per attempt
116.9 passer rating

I think it's just this season, but Brock is completing 72.9% of his passes on 3rd down while converting on 47.9% of them with 6 TD's, 0 INT's and a 132.4 passer rating. 6 TD's on 48 attempts is a 12.5% TD rate.

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Through 17 games Purdy is 14-3 as a starter. Here are his numbers:

69.7 percent completion rate
4,283 passing yards
34 touchdown passes
8 interceptions
9.4 yards per attempt
116.9 passer rating

I think it's just this season, but Brock is completing 72.9% of his passes on 3rd down while converting on 47.9% of them with 6 TD's, 0 INT's and a 132.4 passer rating. 6 TD's on 48 attempts is a 12.5% TD rate.
Really REALLY good numbers, he's making it look easier than it is. Its been a long time since i felt confident in each pass he throws. Not since Montana and then Young.

BTW - IMO Purdy is the leader in the clubhouse for NFL's MVP. As great as CMC is playing, Brock is the straw that stirs the drink. A lot of season left so just to this point.