• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49er QBs

Beetle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he's still on his rookie contract.

Didn't want to trade Lance myself, because there is nothing to indicate he's a bust. His progress got delayed almost a season but that isn't his fault. Finding a super surprise in Purdy is the 49ers huge gain, not a reflection of Lance's progress.
We disagree there. I think he‘s a complete bust and it sounds like every GM agrees with me if there was zero trade market for him. I dont think the other teams were buying the injury excuse. But what do I know

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We disagree there. I think he‘s a complete bust and it sounds like every GM agrees with me if there was zero trade market for him. I dont think the other teams were buying the injury excuse. But what do I know
If you disagree thats fine, thats what these boards are for. My guess is you're like most fans who expect instant success, and thats fine too.

Lance was drafted knowing he didn't have a lot of game reps, so they were even talking the possibility of sitting TWO years. He sat his 1st year and was the starter in year 2, but as we all know he got hurt early on, but NOT because he was playing like a bust.

So now its year 3 and he STILL doesn't have enough game reps, so on what basis is he a bust? There wasn't enough games to judge him by, either way.

If you watch Youtube, there are still notable names who don't think there's enough game reps to judge Brock Purdy?!

Beetle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you disagree thats fine, thats what these boards are for. My guess is you're like most fans who expect instant success, and thats fine too.

Lance was drafted knowing he didn't have a lot of game reps, so they were even talking the possibility of sitting TWO years. He sat his 1st year and was the starter in year 2, but as we all know he got hurt early on, but NOT because he was playing like a bust.

So now its year 3 and he STILL doesn't have enough game reps, so on what basis is he a bust? There wasn't enough games to judge him by, either way.

If you watch Youtube, there are still notable names who don't think there's enough game reps to judge Brock Purdy?!
Wastin 3 #1s and two years on atop 3 pick when you get instant success from a Mr irrelevant pick seems very wasteful and un 49er-like. I watched a couple of 49er pre season games and even a layman like me could see there was something there with Purdy even though pre season performance is not always a good indicator for success.
I was pleased to see they kept him but I also remember seeing a couple of 49er games two years ago and I saw nothing al all from Lance that showed me he could play. I think they are in pretty good hands with Purdy if he can recover from that devastating injury. Purdy Probably saved Shanahns job
Further, if there was no trade market for Lance I’m pretty confident he cannot play

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wastin 3 #1s and two years on atop 3 pick when you get instant success from a Mr irrelevant pick seems very wasteful and un 49er-like. I watched a couple of 49er pre season games and even a layman like me could see there was something there with Purdy even though pre season performance is not always a good indicator for success.
I was pleased to see they kept him but I also remember seeing a couple of 49er games two years ago and I saw nothing al all from Lance that showed me he could play. I think they are in pretty good hands with Purdy if he can recover from that devastating injury. Purdy Probably saved Shanahns job
Further, if there was no trade market for Lance I’m pretty confident he cannot play
A bust is about on field performance whereas bad trades fall on the GM and HC. Lance may or may not turn out to be a bad trade, we don't know yet.

The 2nd paragraph is about TWO games you saw Lance play, is that enough evidence to confirm he's a bust? Lance started one game in his rookie year (2 years ago) so not surprising he didn't play like Tom Brady.

Purdy's play is a HUGE bonus for we 49er fans, but its not a reflection on Lance. Purdy being so good is HIS on field performance, not Lance's.

A trade needs two parties to agree and i highly doubt the 49ers would take anything short of a 1st round for Lance. Other teams haven't seen enough on field play same was the 49ers, so they couldn't offer any 1st round picks for Lance, i wouldn't.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFT opined that if Purdy can't stay healthy this season, the Niners (along with the Rams) might go after Kirk Cousins in 2024. We all know that Shanny wanted Cousins before we traded for Jimmy. Cousins is very durable and has had some good seasons in both Washington and Minnesota. Still...not sure how I feel about Cousins.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PFT opined that if Purdy can't stay healthy this season, the Niners (along with the Rams) might go after Kirk Cousins in 2024. We all know that Shanny wanted Cousins before we traded for Jimmy. Cousins is very durable and has had some good seasons in both Washington and Minnesota. Still...not sure how I feel about Cousins.
IMO doesn't make sense to go after Cousins.

For this season and next, its Purdy and Lance, because they're both on rookie contracts. Granted, next off season they'll have to make a decision on Lance and his 5th year option. Since i don't expect Lance to "fall down" this season, i say they'll use that option.

The 3rd QB will be a vet on the level of Brandon Allen, and they'll have a rookie QB come in for a 'tryout'.

Don't think Darnold will get into any game, and will not be renewed. Didn't like this signing at all first because of the cap cost, next because of his INT's.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great for Purdy to be ahead of schedule, doesn't guarantee anything but beats missing half of TC.

The QB situation is now muddled but not complaining too much, months ago no one knew Purdy's status come TC. BTW - I said from the beginning Darnold was a bad signing, i felt it should've been Purdy, Lance, a vet who at the time, didn't know it was Brandon Allen, and a rookie QB. It really appeared the 49ers were going to trade Lance but apparently, there was no decent offer? Else why would Darnold and Allen want to sign on?

Anyway, you now bring Purdy along so as not to re-injure or swell his elbow. Next, i think Shannahan needs to lean to a No. 2 by end of next week. This No. 2 will get the most reps in scrimmages and Pre-Season games, as opposed to Lance, Darnold, and Allen sharing evenly.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"The San Francisco 49ers ended a short-lived era when they traded former No. 3 overall pick Trey Lance to the Dallas Cowboys for a 2024 fourth-round pick, moving forward with Brock Purdy as their starter and Sam Darnold as the backup.

The 49ers have now officially punted on the Lance experiment, giving up on the player they traded three first-round picks to acquire in the 2021 NFL Draft after just four starts.

Did the 49ers make the right move in trading Lance away?

On ESPN's "Get Up" show, reporter Jeff Darlington had some bold words for the 49ers' handling of Lance, proclaiming the organization as "idiots" for their evaluation of Lance, given the outcome.

"Kyle Shanahan is more incentivized than anybody on this planet to make Trey Lance succeed as an NFL quarterback," ESPN's Jeff Darlington said on the "Get Up" show. "The 49ers and Shanahan look like idiots when it comes to their evaluation of Trey Lance because he failed and they gave up so much for him."

Darlington believes that the 49ers shutting the door on Lance, given Shanahan's quarterback pedigree, is quite telling, especially with the timing of the trade.

"They gave up on him," Darlington said. "That tells me all I need to know. I trust Shanahan's on-field assessment more than most people in the NFL. He gave up on Trey Lance. Him giving up on him now is far more significant than him doing it last year."

With Lance now on the Cowboys, the 49ers are rolling with Brock Purdy, Sam Darnold, and Brandon Allen for the 2023 season, with the hopes of winning a Super Bowl, despite starting a different quarterback for the third consecutive season."

No way around it, they are idiots regarding this Lance fiasco. I'm referring to frst the trade and second the selection of Lance.

How it went after the draft is up for a little debate.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The San Francisco 49ers ended a short-lived era when they traded former No. 3 overall pick Trey Lance to the Dallas Cowboys for a 2024 fourth-round pick, moving forward with Brock Purdy as their starter and Sam Darnold as the backup.

The 49ers have now officially punted on the Lance experiment, giving up on the player they traded three first-round picks to acquire in the 2021 NFL Draft after just four starts.

Did the 49ers make the right move in trading Lance away?

On ESPN's "Get Up" show, reporter Jeff Darlington had some bold words for the 49ers' handling of Lance, proclaiming the organization as "idiots" for their evaluation of Lance, given the outcome.

"Kyle Shanahan is more incentivized than anybody on this planet to make Trey Lance succeed as an NFL quarterback," ESPN's Jeff Darlington said on the "Get Up" show. "The 49ers and Shanahan look like idiots when it comes to their evaluation of Trey Lance because he failed and they gave up so much for him."

Darlington believes that the 49ers shutting the door on Lance, given Shanahan's quarterback pedigree, is quite telling, especially with the timing of the trade.

"They gave up on him," Darlington said. "That tells me all I need to know. I trust Shanahan's on-field assessment more than most people in the NFL. He gave up on Trey Lance. Him giving up on him now is far more significant than him doing it last year."

With Lance now on the Cowboys, the 49ers are rolling with Brock Purdy, Sam Darnold, and Brandon Allen for the 2023 season, with the hopes of winning a Super Bowl, despite starting a different quarterback for the third consecutive season."

No way around it, they are idiots regarding this Lance fiasco. I'm referring to frst the trade and second the selection of Lance.

How it went after the draft is up for a little debate.
Hell, it could be said that Shanny and Lynch have mismanaged the QB position ever since they got here.
--They took S.Thomas instead of a QB--Shanny didn't even scout Mahomes)
--They traded for Jimmy rather than wait until that offseason to get Cousins
--They reportedly passed on signing Tom Brady when he hit free agency
--They traded a fortune to move up to #3, instead of sitting tight for Fields or Jones
--They took Lance at #3
--They botched the Jimmy trade possibility
--They get fall-down lucky with Purdy
--They then wait to trade Lance until his value is at an all-time low

Their track record at the Qb spot is far from good.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hell, it could be said that Shanny and Lynch have mismanaged the QB position ever since they got here.
--They took S.Thomas instead of a QB--Shanny didn't even scout Mahomes)
--They traded for Jimmy rather than wait until that offseason to get Cousins
--They reportedly passed on signing Tom Brady when he hit free agency
--They traded a fortune to move up to #3, instead of sitting tight for Fields or Jones
--They took Lance at #3
--They botched the Jimmy trade possibility
--They get fall-down lucky with Purdy
--They then wait to trade Lance until his value is at an all-time low

Their track record at the Qb spot is far from good.
You make some valid points and I don’t completely disagree with you on this post. However this team is in good position right now and may have the strongest QB room since Kyle has been here.
- The Thomas/ Foster 1st round draft picks were horrendous and missing on Mahomes was bad but the game plan was go from Hoyer to Cousins with Beathard as a backup. Kyle was clear about that.
- The trade for Jimmy for a 2nd was solid and a much better option then Cousins IMO. Jimmy helped turn things around by helping them win those 5 games at the end of 17. The injury in 18 was brutal but led to Bosa so it’s tough to get upset with that outcome. Jimmy helped the 49ers to a 38-17 regular season record and 4-2 as a starter in the playoffs. Jimmy wasn’t the difference maker like a franchise QB should be,however he beat the Packers and Aaron Rogers twice and helped them beat the Cowboys. The fact that Rogers never beat the 49ers in the playoffs is a big plus with me.We all know that he just couldn’t stay healthy and because of that they needed to go to plan B which was the Lance trade.
- I am ok with them not signing Brady after the Super Bowl appearance. Who knows if Brady would have had the same success with the 49ers
-I am also OK with the them passing on Fields and Jones.
- They would have received @ 3rd round comp for Jimmy this year that was canceled out by Hargraves.Also ok with no trade last year
- Whether they got “lucky” with Purdy is debatable. It’s amazing how little credit Kyle gets in his development and they way he handled him and used him last year.
- Yes the Trade for Lance will be debated and criticized for awhile and it should be. I liked Trey but also realized his lack of playing football for those 3+ years hurt him. He just didn’t look like he processed things quickly
Since the trade was made for Lance the 49ers have been to back to back NFC championship games, they are in good shape this year and next year have a boatload of draft picks to play with. Having a starting QB with a rookie cap number allows the 49ers to sign other players they would have never been able to keep with Jimmy

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Having a starting QB with a rookie cap number allows the 49ers to sign other players they would have never been able to keep with Jimmy"

Yep, its pro and con because a 'Franchise QB' takes up a lot of cap space. JG wasn't a franchise QB so saying this in general.

So you 'trade off' a franchise QB with say 4 or 5 lesser starters, thats the 'con'. If not this many starters, then you can sacrifice depth all around. Not saying you now have 4 or 5 scrubs, but these spots have lower quality players. I guess you can get really lucky in the draft (later rounds) and sustain quality, but typically not enough cap space to re-sign better players.

The 49ers have so many top players now the cap is a huge problem anyway. Something has to give next season because Bosa's contract will kick in and then there's Aiyuk. No choice but to trade or cut good players - Juice, Armstead, TW?

Or they can re-structure to the hilt IF the team is still SB quality, we'll see?

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know for sure if Lance is a bust or not. LIke Zack Wilson--we know. The same can't be said of Lance just yet. He needs playing time to get any better.

Still, the author isn't alone in his feelings on Lance. Ian Rapoport said that Sam Darnold will, more likely than not, be the week 1 starter for the team.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but If Darnold beats out Lance...
did,nt look like a bust last year,the 49ers would have won in phlly if he had not got injured imo.lance always looked bad from last years chicago game to the raiders game in the preseason he was awful.darnld was not that bad last year in carolina,i think he,s more than a capable backup.just be glad lance is no longer a 49er and he,s dallas.s headache now.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
did,nt look like a bust last year,the 49ers would have won in phlly if he had not got injured imo.lance always looked bad from last years chicago game to the raiders game in the preseason he was awful.darnld was not that bad last year in carolina,i think he,s more than a capable backup.just be glad lance is no longer a 49er and he,s dallas.s headache now.
Considering how few reps Lance has taken period, IMO he's come a long way. He's still not ready to be a good starter but he still has a reasonable chance to do well. Any other QB in his position had no chance whereas he still does. However, Lance still faces a similar issue in Dallas, getting game reps.

The NFL now knows it takes too long to develop a QB with so few college reps. To me even a college QB with one year of starting experience in college, needs time in the NFL. Too many Trubiskys and Zach Wilsons facing huge challenges tranisitoning into the NFL. Not their fault that fans don't have patience and hence, neither does the team.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners are working out a QB Ian Book. The question is why? Are we thinking of replacing Allen at #3 or is there an injury we don't know about? I do remember seeing Darnold come out at the end of the Steeler game for some kneeldowns, so there better be nothing wrong with Purdy. He sure seemed healthy and upbeat after the game. Maybe it's just Allen and churning the bottom of the roster or perhaps they want Book on the PS?