• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ohio States schedule is weaker than Bamas??

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of talk about OSU's bad schedule. Interesting stat I posted in another thread but thought it deserved more debate on its own. OSU's opponents are a combined 39-41, Bamas opponents are a combined 36-42. Yet Bama has played a "tougher schedule", does playing 1 or 2 quality teams equate to a tougher schedule than playing 4 or 5 good to very good teams?? Not answering my own question here. Just wondering what the board thinks.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why so many people dislike rankings. I'm not saying Ohio State's schedule is better. But "better" is always based on perception via the polls.

Ohio State's opponents have a better win/loss record and Ohio State has played more teams with a winning record. Bama on the other hand has played more ranked teams. Are those rankings warranted? Are those teams of better quality? Maybe. Many would even say definitely.

Welcome to the world of CFB, where perception and pre-season poll rankings can mean more than the product on the field.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of talk about OSU's bad schedule. Interesting stat I posted in another thread but thought it deserved more debate on its own. OSU's opponents are a combined 39-41, Bamas opponents are a combined 36-42. Yet Bama has played a "tougher schedule", does playing 1 or 2 quality teams equate to a tougher schedule than playing 4 or 5 good to very good teams?? Not answering my own question here. Just wondering what the board thinks.

:suds::agree:

Along with playing 3 OOC cupcakes, one next week, I found it quite interesting and convenient that bama only plays tenn. and kentucky in the SEC east......... how nice. Its just a coincidence that they miss Georgia, SC, and Missouri, or even florida.......in the regular season. :rollseyes::whistle: yes, I know they'll play one of them in the CCG.......

But rmilia nailed it, I wonder if any of the SEC fluffers at espn stopped to look up the stat that was brought up in this thread about opponents records??????? :L

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hate the whole SoS factor. It's calculated different ways by a multitude of sources. It's needed in the current system and from the looks of it it will be needed going forward as well. Theres heres just not enough data out there to say someone is better than someone else because they played a supposed tougher schedule. It's ridiculous.

But until we get a real playoff that's what we are going to be dealing with.

tOSU is in an AQ conference. One of the more powerful ones in the BCS era and they are likely going to go undefeated for the 2nd year in a row. To me, that means a lot. Unfortunately it's not going to matter to those that make the decisions.

:lame:

Last edited by a moderator:

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a conspiracy of biased computers!

I'm telling you man, they're all secretly Bama fans!

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is kind of like 2011 when Bama went ahead of OK State in the BCS despite OK States schedule being MUCH better. This years difference isnt nearly as big as 2011's but its still interesting how the SEC's success and reputation ( earned reputation BTW) effects the supposed strength of Bamas schedule. This is a reason that the playoff we have coming next year is so needed and IMO needs to be even further expanded. When perception doesnt match reality in other sports its OK because the outcome is determined via actually playing the games. In CFB we dont get that so we need to realistic and not vote on preconceived notions.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama has dominated 4 teams in Sagarin's top 30. Ohio had a 1-possession game with the only top 30 they faced. Ohio's schedule is definitely tougher.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a conspiracy of biased computers!

I'm telling you man, they're all secretly Bama fans!

Thats not what Im asking NA, Im just asking do you think a schedule is tougher when you play 1 or 2 really good teams or is it tougher to play 4 pretty good teams. I honestly dont know the answer. To me Id rather play the 1 or 2 really good teams because with the rest of my schedule being subpar it gives me prep time for the tougher games. I mean Bama could have been preparing for LSU since the Ole Miss game because realistically none of those teams they played in between had any chance to beat the Tide.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama has dominated 4 teams in Sagarin's top 30. Ohio had a 1-possession game with the only top 30 they faced. Ohio's schedule is definitely tougher.

How do you explain the raw data of opponents win pct then?? Im not really speaking to computer numbers or MOV or whatever. Just pure wins/losses. Of course stats can be skewed to whatever outcome you want..

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is kind of like 2011 when Bama went ahead of OK State in the BCS despite OK States schedule being MUCH better. This years difference isnt nearly as big as 2011's but its still interesting how the SEC's success and reputation ( earned reputation BTW) effects the supposed strength of Bamas schedule. This is a reason that the playoff we have coming next year is so needed and IMO needs to be even further expanded. When perception doesnt match reality in other sports its OK because the outcome is determined via actually playing the games. In CFB we dont get that so we need to realistic and not vote on preconceived notions.

I agree for the most part. I don't think oSu sos was much stronger, but yeah it was rated a bit higher. Going from memory though so maybe I'm wrong.

My problem with BAMA going was that they didn't even win their conference. I think that should count for a lot when you play in an AQ conference.

I remember a comment from one of the pollsters saying the reason they voted bama was because the other conferences havent proven they can beat the SEC. That was a lot of their reasoning...

How retarded is that? They havent beaten them before so lets not give them the chance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why so many people dislike rankings. I'm not saying Ohio State's schedule is better. But "better" is always based on perception via the polls.

Ohio State's opponents have a better win/loss record and Ohio State has played more teams with a winning record. Bama on the other hand has played more ranked teams. Are those rankings warranted? Are those teams of better quality? Maybe. Many would even say definitely.

Welcome to the world of CFB, where perception and pre-season poll rankings can mean more than the product on the field.

Try checking your math again...your stat would be more meaningful if it were actually true...in fact try checking all your fucking facts, because everything you've said here is bullshit.

Ohio State's opponents are a combined 35-55 and you have not played more teams with a winning record.

Ohio St. has played Wisconsin(7-2), Iowa(6-4) and Penn St.(5-4) everybody else is below .500...Alabama has played Virginia Tech(7-3), A&M (8-2), Ole Miss (6-4) and LSU (7-3).

and Alabama's opponents are a combined 42-45.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course stats can be skewed to whatever outcome you want..

Well, there's something you've said that is actually factual...and if you can't skew them to the outcome you want, you can just do what you did and make shit up.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try checking your math again...your stat would be more meaningful if it were actually true...in fact try checking all your fucking facts, because everything you've said here is bullshit.

Ohio State's opponents are a combined 35-55 and you have not played more teams with a winning record.

Ohio St. has played Wisconsin(7-2), Iowa(6-4) and Penn St.(5-4) everybody else is below .500...Alabama has played Virginia Tech(7-3), A&M (8-2), Ole Miss (6-4) and LSU (7-3).

No thats completely incorrect man. LOL. Check your numbers again. :)

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wisconsin, Iowa, PSU, Buffalo, and SDSU all have winning records ... That's 5.
Vtech, A&M, Ole Miss, and LSU. That's 4.

So please explain to me how I was wrong.

Way to make a point in a douchebag way ... only to prove yourself wrong.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair I was half wrong. Bamas opponents are 42-45, must have not counted Ole Miss in my original numbers. Either way its irrelevant because the numbers are still very similar and as already posted OSU has played 5 teams with winning records not 3...

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you explain the raw data of opponents win pct then?? Im not really speaking to computer numbers or MOV or whatever. Just pure wins/losses. Of course stats can be skewed to whatever outcome you want..

That stat is easily skewed with a couple of 1-9 nobodies on the schedule. I've always looked at how a team fared vs the top 5 or 6 teams on the schedule.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin, Iowa, PSU, Buffalo, and SDSU all have winning records ... That's 5.
Vtech, A&M, Ole Miss, and LSU. That's 4.

So please explain to me how I was wrong.

Way to make a point in a douchebag way ... only to prove yourself wrong.

I blame it on Fbschedules.com...Ohio State's opponents are not all sticky like they are for every other team...so clicking on Buffalo gets you last year's 4-8 team...not this year's team

Fact remains though if you want to claim Buffalo and SDSU as quality wins you are welcome to them...playing either of them you should have as much chance of losing as Bama does to Colo St.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got 39-45 for OSU
Buffalo 7-2
SDSU 5-4
Cal 1-9
FAMU 3-7
Wis 7-2
NW 4-5
Iowa 6-4
Penn St. 5-4
Purdue 1-8

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That stat is easily skewed with a couple of 1-9 nobodies on the schedule. I've always looked at how a team fared vs the top 5 or 6 teams on the schedule.

This is what people fail to get about RPI in basketball. So much of the rankings is based on whether or not good teams schedule a team that goes 8-22 in the Summit League or 17-14. Realistically, the good team is gonna beat the shit out of either, so it really doesn't matter,

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I blame it on Fbschedules.com...Ohio State's opponents are not all sticky like they are for every other team...so clicking on Buffalo gets you last year's 4-8 team...not this year's team

Fact remains though if you want to claim Buffalo and SDSU as quality wins you are welcome to them...playing either of them you should have as much chance of losing as Bama does to Colo St.

NOBODY claimed them as "quality wins". You were wrong. Admit and move on. Putting words in peoples mouths in a thin veiled attempt to disguise your errors won't fly.

Moral of the story: Before bashing others on their fact checking (in a rude manner no less), perhaps you should do the same.