• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ohio State 2012 had way less of an argument than Utah in 2008

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are lots of instances where teams had better resumes but didnt play in the BCS title game ( ie OK State vs Bama in 11, USC in 08 or 03 for that matter, Auburn in 04). I think Utah in 08 was a better team than 2012 OSU BUT if OSU had been eligible last year they would have been in without a doubt.

based on what? they were behind alabama in the computers and polls.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
based on what? they were behind alabama in the computers and polls.

They werent really behind in the poll that would have counted since they were not eligible to receive votes in the coaches poll/ harris poll and Im sure alot of the writers didnt vote them as high as they normally would have because of the sanctions. An unbeaten OSU would have gone ahead of Bama based off the polls. I believe that 100%, now when it comes to the computers I cant really say but since the polls are 2/3 of it I think they would have been in

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Notre Dame would have won a national title last year.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool OSU is losing even mythical matchups now.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You've got a long way to go to match Wisconsin, who wins games that they actually lose in real life.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not saying its a guarantee, but I just think ND was better last year, nothing to far fetched IMO. ND played a better schedule,had better wins, and would have been favored. Does that guarantee victory? No.

Chicago-Bama

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They werent really behind in the poll that would have counted since they were not eligible to receive votes in the coaches poll/ harris poll and Im sure alot of the writers didnt vote them as high as they normally would have because of the sanctions. An unbeaten OSU would have gone ahead of Bama based off the polls. I believe that 100%, now when it comes to the computers I cant really say but since the polls are 2/3 of it I think they would have been in

:agree: This sums it up well.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's 2013, we can play the if game all day. It doesn't really matter.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: This sums it up well.

Thanks man. That, in a nutshell, is the inherent problem with any championship that is based off of opinions as opposed to playing it out in a tournament setting. I mean how does one vote in a poll?? Do you pick the teams based off of who you think the better team is or based of which team has had the actual better season based on results?? Often those 2 are not the same. In 2011 I think almost everyone would have said that Bama was a better team than OK State but the results of the year suggested ( and rightly so ) that OK State had the better season. That makes it difficult to have consistency in voting when half the people are voting one way and half the other. Add to that the bias that coaches /SID's have when voting and it creates a big problem. I for one would be more in favor of just basing it off the computers as long as we could all agree of the right variables. A tournament isnt even really the answer because all that tells us is who is best at the end of the year. Not who had the BEST year ( for instance USC in 02 IMO was far and away the best team in the country at the end of the year but had 2 early losses, that team would have won a CFB playoff I think but would they really have been the best team based on an entire years body of work??)

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i showed that alabama was ahead of ohio state in the human poll that included ohio state (fact), i showed that alabama was ahead of ohio state in the computers that ranked them (fact), and i showed that undefeated teams with better resuems had been passed over for 1 loss teams in the past (utah, 2008)

lol @ ohio state.

They knew tOSU was going to be not bowl eligible at the beginning of the year. If it actually came down to it and tOSU was eligible the human polls would of helped OSU bc they were undefeated in a major conference and this non-eligible thing wouldn't be in people's minds. I doubt they would put Bama ahead of OSU.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much summed up rmilia's post. Didn't see it.

The fact that they couldn't receive votes in some and everyone knew they weren't bowl eligible really changed the whole voting situation.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to play for a national title, even if they had been eligible.

First, let's just be honest about Ohio State's 2012 season; They did not beat (or lose to) a top 20 opponent. They did not beat a top 25 team on the road or at a neutral site. They had a few close calls against some pretty mediocre competition, but also soundly beat some decent teams. After the dust settled, here were the best wins for Ohio State
#24 Michigan (26-21)
#25 Nebraska (63-38)

They also defeated Wisconsin on the road, 21-14 (in overtime). Though Wisconsin finished the year 8-6, I feel like they were probably a little bit better than their record indicated so I feel this win is worth mentioning. Ohio State's not so hot moments have been well-documented here... their escape against Purdue, their defense surrendering 49 points to Indiana (though they were never really in serious danger of losing this game).

Basically, what we have is a team that seems to be a little bit better than teams ranked in the 20-40 range; They didn't wow anybody, but despite their close calls, they didn't lose any games. It also needs to be noted that if they had played in the Big 10 championship game, they would have faced Nebraska again for the conference championship. Even if we assume Ohio State wins this hypothetical game, I don't think they really would have legitimized their season much more than it already was seeing as how they already handled Nebraska with relative ease. Also, in many cases these undefeated mid-majors did not get their marquee wins until bowl season, something Ohio State was not elgible for last year, and something that happens after the national championship game selection is made.

So the question becomes... would have and should have Ohio State gone to the BCS national title game over a 1 loss SEC champion? Well, we have seen in the past mid-majors go undefeated and been passed over (in some cases, not even really that close) to teams with losses. Let's examine these teams one at a time

Utah, 2008
13-0 (12-0 regular season, plus a solid 31-17 victory over SEC runner-up, #6 Alabama in the Sugar bowl)
Interestingly enough, it seems as if this Utah team was more accomplished than Ohio State and it really isn't that close. Besides defeating #6 Alabama, they also snagged three other quality wins over #7 TCU, #18 Oregon State and #25 BYU. Even still, this team was passed over in favor of two one-loss teams, Florida and Oklahoma. Perhaps Utah has a legitimate gripe for not getting a chance to play for the championship, perhaps they don't. However, it seems clear that Utah in 2008 definitely had a better resume than 2012 Ohio State, even at the time of the final BCS standings.

1230937027008866348057.gif