• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ohio State 2012 had way less of an argument than Utah in 2008

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to play for a national title, even if they had been eligible.

First, let's just be honest about Ohio State's 2012 season; They did not beat (or lose to) a top 20 opponent. They did not beat a top 25 team on the road or at a neutral site. They had a few close calls against some pretty mediocre competition, but also soundly beat some decent teams. After the dust settled, here were the best wins for Ohio State
#24 Michigan (26-21)
#25 Nebraska (63-38)

They also defeated Wisconsin on the road, 21-14 (in overtime). Though Wisconsin finished the year 8-6, I feel like they were probably a little bit better than their record indicated so I feel this win is worth mentioning. Ohio State's not so hot moments have been well-documented here... their escape against Purdue, their defense surrendering 49 points to Indiana (though they were never really in serious danger of losing this game).

Basically, what we have is a team that seems to be a little bit better than teams ranked in the 20-40 range; They didn't wow anybody, but despite their close calls, they didn't lose any games. It also needs to be noted that if they had played in the Big 10 championship game, they would have faced Nebraska again for the conference championship. Even if we assume Ohio State wins this hypothetical game, I don't think they really would have legitimized their season much more than it already was seeing as how they already handled Nebraska with relative ease. Also, in many cases these undefeated mid-majors did not get their marquee wins until bowl season, something Ohio State was not elgible for last year, and something that happens after the national championship game selection is made.

So the question becomes... would have and should have Ohio State gone to the BCS national title game over a 1 loss SEC champion? Well, we have seen in the past mid-majors go undefeated and been passed over (in some cases, not even really that close) to teams with losses. Let's examine these teams one at a time

Utah, 2008
13-0 (12-0 regular season, plus a solid 31-17 victory over SEC runner-up, #6 Alabama in the Sugar bowl)
Interestingly enough, it seems as if this Utah team was more accomplished than Ohio State and it really isn't that close. Besides defeating #6 Alabama, they also snagged three other quality wins over #7 TCU, #18 Oregon State and #25 BYU. Even still, this team was passed over in favor of two one-loss teams, Florida and Oklahoma. Perhaps Utah has a legitimate gripe for not getting a chance to play for the championship, perhaps they don't. However, it seems clear that Utah in 2008 definitely had a better resume than 2012 Ohio State, even at the time of the final BCS standings.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i+sense+butthurt+_ea0a078a3ac792b549fbfd784bd07a02.jpg

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had they done it right, like Thee U, they would have been in the ncg

Captain+Hindsight.png

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree caneman, idk why the fuck we didn't just eat a bowl ban in 2011...

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh yeah, borrowing from TigerBait

George-Bush-Didnt-Read-It-Dance.gif

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
disney thread in disney

Imagine basically this same thread, expect carbon-copied 20 times, with other threads about Oregon being overrated and (insert below average SEC team) being better than (insert top team from other conference) in there and you have the front page of the ESPN CFB Message Boards from 2010 - the end. It's horrible, and sakau was one of dumber ones (though not as frequent of a poster). Looks like he finally slithered this way.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree caneman, idk why the fuck we didn't just eat a bowl ban in 2011...

isn't it funny how people in positions of power make incredibly idiotic decisions??? Should've been common sense to take a self imposed bowl ban in '11.........:L:doh::gaah:

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine basically this same thread, expect carbon-copied 20 times, with other threads about Oregon being overrated and (insert below average SEC team) being better than (insert top team from other conference) in there and you have the front page of the ESPN CFB Message Boards from 2010 - the end. It's horrible, and sakau was one of dumber ones (though not as frequent of a poster). Looks like he finally slithered this way.

nu.bmp

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2008 Utah cancelled the game with #2 Texas.

I think they only have themselves to blame for that mistake.

I suspect the winner of that game would have definitely gone in over both Florida/Oklahoma.

Both lost out to OU/UF because of minute Strength of Schedule issues.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @ everyone thinking i'm all butthurt but i just showed you objectively why Utah 2008 had a better argument than Ohio State 2012 to play for a title. alabama was ahead of ohio state in every human poll and most computer polls that they were both ranked in. pretty comical that people just assume ohio state would have magically been ahead of alabama had they been eligible. did anyone really think ohio state was a better team than alabama last year?

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @ everyone thinking i'm all butthurt but i just showed you objectively why Utah 2008 had a better argument than Ohio State 2012 to play for a title. alabama was ahead of ohio state in every human poll and most computer polls that they were both ranked in. pretty comical that people just assume ohio state would have magically been ahead of alabama had they been eligible. did anyone really think ohio state was a better team than alabama last year?

:wtf2:

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone really think tOSU was better than Miami in 02?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to play for a national title, even if they had been eligible.

First, let's just be honest about Ohio State's 2012 season; They did not beat (or lose to) a top 20 opponent. They did not beat a top 25 team on the road or at a neutral site. They had a few close calls against some pretty mediocre competition, but also soundly beat some decent teams. After the dust settled, here were the best wins for Ohio State
#24 Michigan (26-21)
#25 Nebraska (63-38)

They also defeated Wisconsin on the road, 21-14 (in overtime). Though Wisconsin finished the year 8-6, I feel like they were probably a little bit better than their record indicated so I feel this win is worth mentioning. Ohio State's not so hot moments have been well-documented here... their escape against Purdue, their defense surrendering 49 points to Indiana (though they were never really in serious danger of losing this game).

Basically, what we have is a team that seems to be a little bit better than teams ranked in the 20-40 range; They didn't wow anybody, but despite their close calls, they didn't lose any games. It also needs to be noted that if they had played in the Big 10 championship game, they would have faced Nebraska again for the conference championship. Even if we assume Ohio State wins this hypothetical game, I don't think they really would have legitimized their season much more than it already was seeing as how they already handled Nebraska with relative ease. Also, in many cases these undefeated mid-majors did not get their marquee wins until bowl season, something Ohio State was not elgible for last year, and something that happens after the national championship game selection is made.

So the question becomes... would have and should have Ohio State gone to the BCS national title game over a 1 loss SEC champion? Well, we have seen in the past mid-majors go undefeated and been passed over (in some cases, not even really that close) to teams with losses. Let's examine these teams one at a time

Utah, 2008
13-0 (12-0 regular season, plus a solid 31-17 victory over SEC runner-up, #6 Alabama in the Sugar bowl)
Interestingly enough, it seems as if this Utah team was more accomplished than Ohio State and it really isn't that close. Besides defeating #6 Alabama, they also snagged three other quality wins over #7 TCU, #18 Oregon State and #25 BYU. Even still, this team was passed over in favor of two one-loss teams, Florida and Oklahoma. Perhaps Utah has a legitimate gripe for not getting a chance to play for the championship, perhaps they don't. However, it seems clear that Utah in 2008 definitely had a better resume than 2012 Ohio State, even at the time of the final BCS standings.

2/10

Rather Be Fishin'

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You didn't show anything.

And Ohio State would have played Alabama, not ND. Pretty sure OSU would have given Alabama a better game than ND did.

But yeah, you sure showed us.