• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oh Shit!

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I just don't understand how anyone could say anything that would actually cause me to get worked up enough to quit a site. I admit I like to feed the trolls from time to time and I'll get into no win shit storms of debate, but if I tire of it or of any particular poster I simply choose to not read their stuff and the problem is solved. Your mileage may vary.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello Osprey. You are going to fit right in here. Glad you moved over!

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it Wizardhawk,
You ignore them and do not understand why we just can't be like you..

Seems like most other people, like me, do not want to be tasked with ignoring them.

I know full well that I can choose to not step in dog shit, but I would much rather go to a park where there are consequences for allowing shitting dogs.

Sorry but it is wonderful to take a break from the "your an idiot" (intentional misspell) this guy and that team and sucks and A>B B>C...

Osprey 1984

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wizard and c adl, you're right it is a free country. and I shouldnt be sucked into these low brow discussions.

but if you don't invite him, that would be great too. or send him to Seahawks.net

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well this place has those consequences you speak of. That's the beauty of a moderated site vs the free for all on those other boards. If someone steps out of line and enough people complain they get tossed out.

And I don't expect anyone to be just like me. If I came off that way I apologize. I guess I was passing along the differences in dealing with idiots on a moderated board vs an open one for those who may not have had much experience with moderated forums. If it doesn't apply to you and you see things differently then so be it. The OP asked what others thought about this and I decided to chime in. I'll take your response to indicate my opinion is out there and it's time for me to move on.

Good day sir.

Osprey 1984

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello Osprey. You are going to fit right in here. Glad you moved over!
thanks buddy. I know I will disagree with you too. but at least I know you are a true Seahawks fan. and your place is coming from Seahawks love and not intended personal attacks.

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well this place has those consequences you speak of. That's the beauty of a moderated site vs the free for all on those other boards. If someone steps out of line and enough people complain they get tossed out.

:agree:

And I don't expect anyone to be just like me. If I came off that way I apologize. I guess I was passing along the differences in dealing with idiots on a moderated board vs an open one for those who may not have had much experience with moderated forums. If it doesn't apply to you and you see things differently then so be it. The OP asked what others thought about this and I decided to chime in. I'll take your response to indicate my opinion is out there and it's time for me to move on.

Good day sir.

Wizardhawk,
Just re-read my post and it certainly did not read the way I thought it would. It came across too harsh. For that, I apologize.
I was trying to give you a hard time for repeating yourself and it came out without the lighheartedness/humor that I was going for.
How ironic that on a post that deals with being an Idiot I end up being an Idiot... How is that for repeating myself?
I have made reference to your posts in the past, all speaking of agreement with and appreciation of your opinions. surprisingly enough, this will be yet another time. I do agree with your points.
Cheers,
Quinn

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are all good and I got that I had already more than ran my course on this topic and agreed. I've been known for being long winded and at times I at least try to limit it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are all good and I got that I had already more than ran my course on this topic and agreed. I've been known for being long winded and at times I at least try to limit it.

Hey don't worry about, we need input here so keep it coming!

:yahoo:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That kind of worries me.

I really enjoyed the debates/flaming we had between the 49ers fans and Seahawks fans on the CBS boards.

It seems like the 49ers fans and Seahawks fans on here get along a little too well for my liking. That needs to change.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for ignoring people, it's the internet, it's easy to ignore people. cottonmouth and I didn't see eye to eye and eventually I just refused to read anything he posted, at least with shock he didn't resort to creating entire threads just to post personal attacks, so I just took his opinion with a grain of salt and moved on.

Cotton is capable of insightful posts here and there. At least with Cotton his personal attacks were honestly really entertaining for me to read. But then again that's probably more of a reflection on my sense of humor than on his quality of posts...

I remember at one point the entire CBS board was just a big flame war between he and Kage. I stayed out of it because I had nothing against either of them, but they were honestly hilarious to read.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An example of this is briwas. that guy is a complete pessimist and a downer. however, he backs up his opinions with real analysis and doesn't really insult people. I disagree with stuff he says but I don't mind him because he presents his negative opinion in a normal way.

Briwas is a dude that has the potential to be a good, well-liked poster even if he's almost always negative, but his ego won't let it happen. Last year he thought he was smarter than 99.9% of the board and wasn't shy about saying so. If he thinks he's superior to you (and that applied to just about everyone), good luck having a productive conversation with him for very long. He may not insult you in an obvious way, but he'll certainly insult your intelligence as a fan anytime he can.

He's also gone through "internet tough guy" phases where he'd make sure to mention how big he was every chance he got to try to intimidate people or to mention his job as a security job or bouncer or whatever it was for some reason and he wasn't shy about challenge people to physical fights. I've seen him do it more than a few times over the years.

In short, I would rather he didn't come here, but if he did and this board has an ignore function, I wouldn't hesitate to use it the minute his superiority complex kicks in.

One other thing to know about EducAsian... his original screen name was so dirty, you couldn't even use it in a post if you were mentioning him or talking to him. My memory is on the fritz right now about names, but anyone that was on the ESPN board for more than the last few years knows what I'm talking about.

Anyway... those guys are downright delightful compared to the guy we had on the ESPN board last season who hated Pete Carroll with a passion and was more than a little racist in general. He was so sure that the Seahawks were gonna suck last year that he made a bet that if the Seahawks won a certain number of games, he'd leave the board. Sure enough, the Hawks breezed past that number and he ended his tenure on the board with a long diatribe that ended with a line that suggested the Seahawks would never win with Wilson as the starting quarterback, and he did so by including a racial slur in reference to Wilson. I'm pretty sure you can figure out which one. The guy was a total dick and a loser that nobody liked and while it was short-lived due to the number of trolls populating the board still, his departure was celebrated.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That kind of worries me.

I really enjoyed the debates/flaming we had between the 49ers fans and Seahawks fans on the CBS boards.

It seems like the 49ers fans and Seahawks fans on here get along a little too well for my liking. That needs to change.

I too was kind of worried as I've been on sites that were over moderated and people were getting banned for seemingly minor things. There have been plenty of fur flying trolling posts on the college football board and I have not seen a single post removed or poster warned. Several posts/posters have been over the top so my best guess is if no one complains there likely isn't any action coming for just about anything you typically saw on cBS that wasn't from one of the people we all agreed should have been banned. The topic requires a lot more latitude than most other forms of fan sites. Sports talk is full of smack talk and taunting so you would hope those running that type of site get that and allow anything not over the top like racial slurs or actual threats to other posters.

I have ran a few different boards in my day mostly related to video games and one had over 200 posters a day and several million page hits. It was rare we ever had to ban anyone. We would rewrite posts that violated our ToS to leave their message in tact while making it compliant. If we had someone that required editing more than once we would PM them and discuss it. It was rare we had to do more than that. We also had to deal with the other side of that and let the constant whiners know they can simply not read posts by people they don't care for or put people on ignore. They are just pixels on a screen and can only hurt you if you choose to let it. I'd say we dealt more with the complainers than the trolls.

While I've seen plenty of boards that over moderate this one so far hasn't, but then I haven't personally seen it really tested. I think most of the worst trolls from cBS/ESPN know they can't get away with it on a moderated board and either aren't coming here or are on much better behavior because of it. Only time will tell.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know my first account on CBS actually got banned due to some of the conversations I was having with 49ers fans. It was mostly a mix of debates and insults but honestly it was all in good fun and I thought it was a bit ridiculous that I did get banned considering I could just as easily make a new account.

I never really had any problem with anyone on CBS and I would personally only ban someone under the most extreme circumstances. A heated debate with a few insults exchanged is not something I'd end, personally.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And so far I haven't seen any signs they are looking to get involved in high spirited debates. Even the ones with insults that appear heated. There was a thread on the main college board where a poster who admits he starts trolling people just for fun called all women whores and made some rather distasteful comments about another posters cousin who is a cheerleader and nothing happened. Another poster was asking someone he was pissed at to come meet him and it was kind of obvious that meeting might not end up being too civil and nothing was done. Why? I'm sure it is because those situations burned themselves out and no one complained. If it would have ended up in a flame war they would have locked the thread and had people complained about the over the top troll the mods might have spoken to him. But they didn't. I just wouldn't worry about over active moderation. Stir up some shit and taunt all you want. Until we see otherwise it's all good.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing in my :2cents:, I say let him in.
If he gets way out of line, it will run it's course.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...perhaps he'll stay over on ESPN, haven't heard or seen him here and its been a few days.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a post by a mod and his feelings on reporting posters.

New Policy Regarding Reporting Posts

The next time someone abuses the Report Post feature to tattle about someone being "rude" to them, we're going to post the full report for everyone to see. Please pass the word, especially among the CBS NBA guys.

As you can see mods do not want to referee very little squabble. In my opinion the best way to keep complaints about other posters is to say no thanks to infamous major idiots in the first place. You know they are just going to lead to a boat loads of reports.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are not the same thing. I said above that whiners were more of a problem for the mods on my sites than trolls and real assholes. They aren't saying if you have a real problem with someone we are going to embarrass you and post it to everyone. They said ABUSE which means the whiners.

You just can't bother the mods every time you are offended. And anyone looking for someone who offended them to be booted probably shouldn't be on a site like this to begin with.

Now that you are a mod Harold, you should have the ability to deal with the very scourge you fear. Give them a warning and if they don't listen ask one of the other mods what they would do and if they just can't follow some basic decency then boot them. It's just not as bad of a problem as some of you fear.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I encourage real fans to debate to there heart content. That's a good thing. I love a good debate. However I've experience what having major idiots do to a board, it's the reason I came to SportsHoopla for god sakes. It's the reason so many ESPN posters have moved over. I admit we need some back and forth with other fans because that is what helps make for an interesting thread, but what we don't need is to become what ESPN has become...a board where threads turn into some nasty name calling garbage. I see no reason what so ever for allowing infamous idiots on board.

We can get some good back and forth from real football fans from the other boards. I put up a sticky to encourage the very thing. Believe me we'll start having some spirited debates soon with 49ers, Rams, and hopefully down the road Card fans. We do not need to get desperate and invite the scum of the earth on broad.