• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread- what we need to do & thoughts

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. I still see much of the same old Smith - just less turnovers.

i think he's shown much more pocket awarness. he takes control of the offense now instead of just being the guy who happens to take the snaps.

a full offseason with a few moves could help the offense gel more next season. the top offenses have been together for years. i don't think we'll get to that point, but with our d, we won't need 4500+ yards through the air.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think he's shown much more pocket awarness. he takes control of the offense now instead of just being the guy who happens to take the snaps.

a full offseason with a few moves could help the offense gel more next season. the top offenses have been together for years. i don't think we'll get to that point, but with our d, we won't need 4500+ yards through the air.

Again, I disagree, and I think it would be a mistake to resign Smith.

Can we move on?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I may be in the minority here, but if Rogers wans Cromartie-like money I say let him walk. The Niners missed their chance to sign him to a longer deal; the day he was signed I was upset it was for 1 year.

In fact I would argue re-signing Brooks is more important than re-signing Rogers.

Last edited by a moderator:

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The defensive players are higher priority to re-sign... and also if it came down to signing Smith or a top FA WR I might lean towards the WR.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I may be in the minority here, but if Rogers wans Cromartie-like money I say let him walk. The Niners missed their chance to sign him to a longer deal; the day he was signed I was upset it was for 1 year.

In fact I would argue re-signing Brooks is more important than re-signing Rogers.

in the long view, yeah i agree with this.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after rogers became cruz's bitch i doubt he'll be asking for that much. he's a smart vet who i hope we can resign, but hopefully he was sincere in saying he wants to resign.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after rogers became cruz's bitch i doubt he'll be asking for that much. he's a smart vet who i hope we can resign, but hopefully he was sincere in saying he wants to resign.

The same Cruz that got pretty much shut down in the 2nd half?

I'd also like to point out for all those bashing Alex that our offense technically out scored the Giants 17-10. That's right Alex actually beat Eli in terms of leading his offense on scoring drives.

The only reason the Giants won was thanks to Kyle Williams handing the ball twice inside our 30 yard line. That ended up being the 7 points they needed to take a 17-14 lead. That was huge because their offense was not able to move the ball on us in the 2nd half. Those 7 points were the only points they scored in the 2nd half. I ask you to sit and let that sink in for a bit. We on the other hand scored 10 points in the 2nd half by actually driving the football down the field.

Then after twice failing to drive the ball into scoring range in OT it was once again Kyle Williams how handed the game to the Giants inside our 30 again when all they needed was a FG to win the game.

Anyone trying to dig deeper into why we lost this game is a fool. We out played the Giants on offense and defense but still lost thanks to 1 player making 2 huge mistakes with the football on special teams.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to the fullest , and its what makes this loss so hard to swallow. I love how the NFL media couldnt wait to rain praise down upon Eli makes me sick. If the Niners won im sure it would have been all about how the Giants messed up and didnt live up to there potential. This is one of those cases where I thnk the better team actually lost. And ya I know the offense struggled quite a bit but we did put up enough points to pull out the win if only Williams could field a damn kick.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
get a franchise qb. spend whatever it takes. guaranteed super bowl

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resign our defense, maybe upgrade Brooks spot but bring back Goldson and Rogers.... hopefully not expensive.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Smith might do better with a few weapons. I would like to see him with another year under his belt. However, I do think that were there a different option like Kaep progresses amazingly, one of the big QBs Fall to us, or Brees is available lol then I wouldnt mind throwing in on something like that

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resign our defense, maybe upgrade Brooks spot but bring back Goldson and Rogers.... hopefully not expensive.

Definitely resign rogers and goldsen. What about Aldon filling brooks, with an offseason to better the pass coverage?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely resign rogers and goldsen. What about Aldon filling brooks, with an offseason to better the pass coverage?

IMO, Brooks was the weaker LB out of my "starters".... his pass rush was average for most of the season IMO BUT he did play a very good game yesterday... so it's hard to dog him on it.

Like, if Brooks & Goldson are asking for money more than we necessarily want to sign to, I would approve more so to Goldson than Brooks right now for my preference.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Eli should get a bit of credit because under immense pressure he did not turn the ball over, and he was able to hit all 3 of his receivers.

Alex did not turn the ball over, but the only one he could hit was Vernon.

The top offseason priority is to re-sign the guys on defense and preserve the defense. This is a championship caliber defense.

Alex has improved alot this year, and I like the way he's minimized turnovers, but he's not an irreplaceable QB. Ask yourself how many QBs in the league could do what Alex did in his position? I think there's probably at least 10-15 QBs.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eli should get a bit of credit because under immense pressure he did not turn the ball over, and he was able to hit all 3 of his receivers.

Alex did not turn the ball over, but the only one he could hit was Vernon.

The top offseason priority is to re-sign the guys on defense and preserve the defense. This is a championship caliber defense.

Alex has improved alot this year, and I like the way he's minimized turnovers, but he's not an irreplaceable QB. Ask yourself how many QBs in the league could do what Alex did in his position? I think there's probably at least 10-15 QBs.

1)Eli did not have a good game at all. Twice he threw terrible balls that we would have picked off if Goldson didn't lay the smack down on our own guys. He also threw several other balls that could have been picked off or were just bad throws. 26 incompletions is a shit-ton.

2)The only one who was open was Vernon (and Gore).

3) BS. There are few guys in the league that would end a season with 5 INTs. Rodgers/Brees maybe Brady. Alex did what the Niners needed him to do I would trust maybe 5 or 6 guys to be so careful with the ball. Not turning it over is WAY more important than some of you guys seem to think - especially with the type of team we have.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would institute a no celebrating rule if I was Harbaugh. How many excessive celebration penalties have we gotten this season? I have said this before.... as much praise as the coaching staff deserved this year, they also deserve some criticism. We had far too many penalties, and dumb ones at that. A lot of drive killing mental mistakes.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would institute a no celebrating rule if I was Harbaugh. How many excessive celebration penalties have we gotten this season? I have said this before.... as much praise as the coaching staff deserved this year, they also deserve some criticism. We had far too many penalties, and dumb ones at that. A lot of drive killing mental mistakes.

I give em more praise we still coulda/shoulda won. And they transformed the team into what I think will be a contender for at least a few years. Almost took it to the house in Year 1 is good enough for me.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give em more praise we still coulda/shoulda won. And they transformed the team into what I think will be a contender for at least a few years. Almost took it to the house in Year 1 is good enough for me.

Don't get me wrong... I love the staff and they did an exceptional job. But to have guys getting 15 yard penalties for dancing on the field is unacceptable. Vernon climbing up the camera tower?? Although I liked that and it shouldn't have been a penalty. Lambeau Leap grandfathered in is bullshit.

RhojiF

Rhoji
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We need to re-sign our free agents, and go after a true #1 WR. I'd like to re-sign Morgan as well and have him stay at the #2 spot. I think Crabs should be on the trading block while he still has some value, but if we keep him he should be our slot WR.

I'm hoping we make a play for Dwayne Bowe. I think he is the perfect fit for what we need at WR. He is a big physical blocker as well as a tall athletic endzone threat. My guess is the Chiefs tag him though.

This right here. For once, in the past 8 years, I feel very confident about Baalke. That has a lot to do with Harbaugh. They're good together.

It was rough for us last night, but for the first time in a while I can honestly say the few years will be competitive. It's just rough because this was our year. I don't care what anyone says and biased aside, The 49ers look like the best team in the NFL.