• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread- what we need to do & thoughts

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with your entire assessment of Smith. Who the fuck is Scott Tolzien? (I know who he is) but who the fuck is Scott Tolzien? Alex Smith is a veteran QB who led us to our 1st playoff victory (in dramatic fashion) in forever and he threw for 2 TDs today. Ran all over the place too. Nobody was open on any of those rollouts as far as I saw. He has completed plenty of long balls over the past few weeks I'm not worried about his accuracy at all. They should definitely sign him. No question.

Thats too bad if your not worried about his accuracy. All is forgot with 3 deep passes in the past couple of weeks. It is expected for fans to get over excited about a game like the Saints game and feel that Alex arrived, that's expected, I don't fault you. I didn't once say that someone else should be appointed the started right away, I'm just saying that I hope that if they sign him and whatever his asking price is, I hope they make sure he's that much better than CK and Tolzien (who I think is the best qb on the squad).

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep Smith and give him some actual weapons. He'll be much better if you do. I'd honestly take any three of the Giants WRs over Crabtree. Manningham is the only close call but at least he's capable of getting separation.

No kidding. I mean, I'm not blind to Alex Smith's flaws... but you'd have to be the best QB who ever played this game to put up Pro-Bowl numbers with the group of WRs that the 49ers have.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats too bad if your not worried about his accuracy. All is forgot with 3 deep passes in the past couple of weeks. It is expected for fans to get over excited about a game like the Saints game and feel that Alex arrived, that's expected, I don't fault you. I didn't once say that someone else should be appointed the started right away, I'm just saying that I hope that if they sign him and whatever his asking price is, I hope they make sure he's that much better than CK and Tolzien (who I think is the best qb on the squad).

It's not just the Saints game, he hit two today for tds - yes he missed one 2/3 ain't bad on deep balls. How many passes did Eli miss today? 26 incompletions is alot. In fact Smith got better and better as the season went along on deep balls.

So it's not just about the Saints game, Smith has improved his game. Period.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to get gore a real backup too. Kendall's a nice change of pace and Dixon is just too slow and easy to bring down.

Wouldn't mind Ricky Williams if he didn't resign with the ravens

jonas gray is gonna be the steal of the draft. he ended up being the mvp for the irish this year on offense, which is saying something with floyd there.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just the Saints game, he hit two today for tds - yes he missed one 2/3 ain't bad on deep balls. How many passes did Eli miss today? 26 incompletions is alot. In fact Smith got better and better as the season went along on deep balls.

So it's not just about the Saints game, Smith has improved his game. Period.

especially on a wet field with a wet ball. eli seemed a lil high with his long throws as well

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta give it up to Smith. He's surpassed my expectations this season and has played within fairly well within the system. He didn't have a lot of open receivers to throw to today so his poor performance is not all on him. That said, even though I doubt we don't bring him back, I personally wouldn't resign him.

It's also clear to me that Crabtree isn't going to cut it. WR is still a big we need after we draft Crabtree 10th overall in 2009. That's a problem, considering Hakeem Nicks and Kenny Britt both were drafted after him that first round.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem is the same as last offseason. who replaces smith? i'd love to upgrade, but smith has raised the bar and i dont see anyone available that can hit it. a healthy manning obviously, but that's taking a big risk.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem is the same as last offseason. who replaces smith? i'd love to upgrade, but smith has raised the bar and i dont see anyone available that can hit it. a healthy manning obviously, but that's taking a big risk.

We'll never move on if every off-season you don't thinnk anyone can do as good of a job in this offense as Smith. Kaepernick can replace him. While he'll likely committ more turnovers, I also feel like he can make more plays. Maybe a guy like Matt Moore. Kyle Orton.

There are some names out there. Or is the only way we replace Smith is if we're drafting 1st overall and take a QB?

He did an awesome job this year under the circumstances. But it's time to move on.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the grass isn't always greener, we did go 13-3 with smith. he might not have had to do a lot, but he stepped up almost everytime we needed him to. i honestly think clausen would be an upgrade over moore. moore got outplayed by clausen on a horrible panthers team. orton has potential to put up jaw dropping games, but i don't think we make the playoffs with him. he's really hot and cold.

kap needs to sit and develop. i'd hate to rush him, especially when we don't have to.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the grass isn't always greener, we did go 13-3 with smith. he might not have had to do a lot, but he stepped up almost everytime we needed him to. i honestly think clausen would be an upgrade over moore. moore got outplayed by clausen on a horrible panthers team. orton has potential to put up jaw dropping games, but i don't think we make the playoffs with him. he's really hot and cold.

kap needs to sit and develop. i'd hate to rush him, especially when we don't have to.

How are we EVER gonna know if the grass is greener or not if we NEVER try? We had, after the Tim Tebows, the worst passing offense in the league this year. It was eventually gonna bite us in the ass and it did big time today. Is it that unfathomable that, you know, we can get better in that department?

Let's give Smith his due credit and respect. And he isn't the only one at fault for a poor passing game. But it really is time to move on.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll never move on if every off-season you don't thinnk anyone can do as good of a job in this offense as Smith. Kaepernick can replace him. While he'll likely committ more turnovers, I also feel like he can make more plays. Maybe a guy like Matt Moore. Kyle Orton.

There are some names out there. Or is the only way we replace Smith is if we're drafting 1st overall and take a QB?

He did an awesome job this year under the circumstances. But it's time to move on.

Of course as we all know he's coming back... I would say he did an awesome job under any circumstances - and especially under those he faced this season - he helped lead the NIners to a 13-3 record and the NFC Championship game. He threw for 5 TDs in the playoffs ran for another and turned it over just once. All without the benefit of a decent group of WRs. I'm interested to see what he can do with Morgan/Williams/Crabtree and hopefully a new dude with some skill. Of all the offseasons he has survived so far this is the one he should survive.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my line of thinking is unless there is a clear upgrade i'd rather keep smith around and develop other qb's to eventually take over.

smith hasn't had the same coordinator for consecutive seasons. put some actual talent on the offense and we should see much better execution next season as smith has a full offseason to digest the playbook.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course as we all know he's coming back... I would say he did an awesome job under any circumstances - and especially under those he faced this season - he helped lead the NIners to a 13-3 record and the NFC Championship game. He threw for 5 TDs in the playoffs ran for another and turned it over just once. All without the benefit of a decent group of WRs. I'm interested to see what he can do with Morgan/Colston/Crabtree and hopefully a new dude with some skill. Of all the offseasons he has survived so far this is the one he should survive.

there i fixed your post. you can thank me later

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course as we all know he's coming back... I would say he did an awesome job under any circumstances - and especially under those he faced this season - he helped lead the NIners to a 13-3 record and the NFC Championship game. He threw for 5 TDs in the playoffs ran for another and turned it over just once. All without the benefit of a decent group of WRs. I'm interested to see what he can do with Morgan/Williams/Crabtree and hopefully a new dude with some skill. Of all the offseasons he has survived so far this is the one he should survive.

I disagree.

Let's just leave it at that.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my line of thinking is unless there is a clear upgrade i'd rather keep smith around and develop other qb's to eventually take over.

smith hasn't had the same coordinator for consecutive seasons. put some actual talent on the offense and we should see much better execution next season as smith has a full offseason to digest the playbook.

When is there ever a clear upgrade at QB in FA? Either you're a franchise QB, a stop-gap QB, or a backup. How long are you willing to stay stagnant at the QB position waiting for a clear upgrade? What if the clear upgrade is sitting on our bench and you're too afraid to give him a chance?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is there ever a clear upgrade at QB in FA? Either you're a franchise QB, a stop-gap QB, or a backup. How long are you willing to stay stagnant at the QB position waiting for a clear upgrade? What if the clear upgrade is sitting on our bench and you're too afraid to give him a chance?

The only way anyone else is QBing for the Niners next year is if A) Smith regresses badly and he becomes a turnover machine and we start off 0-4 or B) Smith gets hurt and CK or Tolzien or whomever steps in lights it up and brings the offense to a new level and replaces him.

I doubt either of those things will happen. I think C) - Smith continues playing well and in fact takes it to a new level and brings us back to the playoffs - happens. I'd rather not mess with that right now.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way anyone else is QBing for the Niners next year is if A) Smith regresses badly and he becomes a turnover machine and we start off 0-4 or B) Smith gets hurt and CK or Tolzien or whomever steps in lights it up and brings the offense to a new level and replaces him.

I doubt either of those things will happen. I think C) - Smith continues playing well and in fact takes it to a new level and brings us back to the playoffs - happens. I'd rather not mess with that right now.

I already said let's agree to disagree.

Why are you trying to turn this into an argument?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

smith hasn't been stagnant. he's improved over the past couple seasons and should continue to improve.