• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason news

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Decent move I guess. Competition for t WIll for sure. Not a threat to dez at all. Just a guy. These seems like an upgrade over Butler. Will be interesting to see what we do in draft. Need a Dez pay cut.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the signing of Thompson and the visitation as a strong negotiating tool with Dez. While I personally would just like to see him traded (even if we have to eat some of his contract to get it done), the Cowboys acquisition of and indication of interest in other WRs tells Dez his days are numbered in Dallas if he doesn't take a significant cut. Good luck getting a #1 WR salary anywhere else.
This has 0 effect on Dez LOL. Like others have said, on T-rex maybe. I am just glade you are not our GM. If you think this possible Butler replacement has any effect on Dez or the Cowboys getting rid of Dez.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell you what, go ask on the pats board if I ever rooted for them.

One thing thats true is, you aint the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Much sharper than you are and that is a fact.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think it's funny when our resident GB fan chimed in with him being a Starter in GB.
What's funnier is you knowing how many games he started at LB last season when you pretend to be a Cowboys fan.

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas Cowboys' 2018 free agency: Deonte Thompson marks start at WR

HMM!!! Almost an hour after I posted my comments for which you ridicule me, there are others who see the exact same thing I said.

Maybe it's not so absurd after all. Huh?
Maybe I'm confused as to what you are saying. I thought you said that signing Thompson could have an impact on Dez. The article (posted below) clearly states he is more a Butler type replacement and infers that because it's such a low level deal it doesn't take them out of the Hurns market. Then it states signing Hurns could have an effect on Bryant's future. I think everyone would agree that signing both guys COULD impact Dez, but that is more because of Hurns than Thompson.
From your article:

The move does not take the Cowboys out of the market for Allen Hurns, which could have an effect on Dez Bryant's future with the team. Right now, Thompson can be looked at as a replacement for Brice Butler, who is a free agent.

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm confused as to what you are saying. I thought you said that signing Thompson could have an impact on Dez. The article (posted below) clearly states he is more a Butler type replacement and infers that because it's such a low level deal it doesn't take them out of the Hurns market. Then it states signing Hurns could have an effect on Bryant's future. I think everyone would agree that signing both guys COULD impact Dez, but that is more because of Hurns than Thompson.
From your article:

The move does not take the Cowboys out of the market for Allen Hurns, which could have an effect on Dez Bryant's future with the team. Right now, Thompson can be looked at as a replacement for Brice Butler, who is a free agent.

I guess you are misunderstanding my initial post, and maybe that's because I didn't make it as clear as I could have. Perhaps if I embolden the parts in which I am referring to Hurns it will make more sense:

I see the signing of Thompson and the visitation as a strong negotiating tool with Dez. While I personally would just like to see him traded (even if we have to eat some of his contract to get it done), the Cowboys acquisition of and indication of interest in other WRs tells Dez his days are numbered in Dallas if he doesn't take a significant cut. Good luck getting a #1 WR salary anywhere else.

Obviously, neither "the invitation" nor "indication of interest in other WRs" by themselves would be sufficient to be a negotiating tool. My intent was an invitation and interest that would actually lead to a signing.

I was told a long time ago, if people misunderstood what you wrote, then you didn't write clearly enough. My bad!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone hear how the meetings with Fleming and Waddle went?
LaAdrian Waddle - T - Patriots

Patriots re-signed OT LaAdrian Waddle to a one-year contract.

Waddle, 26, made five starts at right tackle for last year's Patriots, struggling mightily as a pass blocker and eventually losing his job to Cameron Fleming after Marcus Cannon's year-ending ankle injury. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport called Waddle an "option" to replace Nate Solder as the Patriots' starting left tackle. New England would be smart to add competition in April's draft.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From your article:

That i agree with. If they sign Hurns, i think that will have an effect what they do with Dez.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaAdrian Waddle - T - Patriots

Patriots re-signed OT LaAdrian Waddle to a one-year contract.

Waddle, 26, made five starts at right tackle for last year's Patriots, struggling mightily as a pass blocker and eventually losing his job to Cameron Fleming after Marcus Cannon's year-ending ankle injury. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport called Waddle an "option" to replace Nate Solder as the Patriots' starting left tackle. New England would be smart to add competition in April's draft.

Looks like a chance Fleming could sign with Dallas. Put him at RT, move Collins to LG and then draft a couple OL for depth/competition and I'll be happy.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like a chance Fleming could sign with Dallas. Put him at RT, move Collins to LG and then draft a couple OL for depth/competition and I'll be happy.
I think adding a WR and OT would add up Defense in the first couple of rounds...

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, hypothetical here...let's say we add Hurns and we also pick a WR in the first round. Does that mean Dez is done here immediately?

There would be little benefit to cutting him immediately IMO because there would be really nothing to use his cap dollars on. So my guess is we would wait to see how the two new guys looked in the offseason and then make a decision after 6/1. I think the easy decision is to say yes we cut him, but what if he looks great or injury strikes somewhere, or one or both of the new guys don't look good, etc. I'd put the decision off until the Summer. This could also be related to me not loving Hurns though. If I liked him more it would be an easy post draft call I guess.
At this stage I believe Dez starts the season as a Cowboy.

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Eagles sign Mike Wallace. Cowboys sign Thompson. Not sure we have net upgraded anyone and Eagles adding complimentary pieces. We better hit it out of the park during draft. Does look like Dez will be around for a while.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wallace is interesting at this point. Is he still any good? IMO no. I said Torrey Smith wasn't going to do much for them and I'll say the same for Wallace. Maybe he is better than Smith, but I'm not sure. If you gave me the choice I would take Thompson over both of them. It's not that I am expecting much from him either, but at this point I think he is better than both Wallace and Smith

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this stage I believe Dez starts the season as a Cowboy.
At this point I would guess he not only starts the season for Dallas but also does not restructure his contract in any way - subject to change pending the draft and the rest of the offseason.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pryor to the Jets. Damn, that's the guy I wanted. A shitload of potential and probably not getting a lot of guaranteed money so if he doesn't pan out it doesn't leave much of a mark.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you are misunderstanding my initial post, and maybe that's because I didn't make it as clear as I could have. Perhaps if I embolden the parts in which I am referring to Hurns it will make more sense:

Obviously, neither "the invitation" nor "indication of interest in other WRs" by themselves would be sufficient to be a negotiating tool. My intent was an invitation and interest that would actually lead to a signing.

I was told a long time ago, if people misunderstood what you wrote, then you didn't write clearly enough. My bad!
I like the signing and would love to add another wide either through FA or the first 2 to 3 rounds in the draft. I agree it should have an impact on Dez. Not so much in this guy taking snaps away from Dez but giving the defense a speedy wide to prepare for which should benefit Dez if this guy can stretch the field and make some plays. That can only help Dez more.

I tell you what I like best of all. The fact that Dez has hired a route running coach with his own money. They interviewed this coach on local radio the other day and I was impressed. He talked how Dez should be able to run the route tree and do it from all three wide receiver positions. He said it was little things he hopes to improve such as his hand placement when he's being pressed and his hips when he makes his cuts. I think this is a pretty good sign Dez understands he wasn't all that good and has received the message. Maybe....just maybe

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was torn on that. It can't hurt and can only be a good thing of course, but I also took it as possibly just a preemptive strike and not really something he'll listen to. Lord knows the coaches should be telling him this stuff over and over and over. Maybe now he realizes he better start listening and he isn't all he thought he was.

I wonder if this guy can remind him how to catch also...