• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason news

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
So far this offseason has been meh. We lost out on fullback swaps. Hitchens being replaced by the new signing is not an improvement.

Will reserve judgement, but we have not gotten better thus far. Key will be draft and healthy Zeke. I think Dez is done unless he takes a big pay cut. I don’t see other teams paying him a ton but you never know. A mercurial receiver whose production is down and who is aging is not where most teams will invest at a high price. A contender could take as a flyer.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far this offseason has been meh. We lost out on fullback swaps. Hitchens being replaced by the new signing is not an improvement.

Will reserve judgement, but we have not gotten better thus far. Key will be draft and healthy Zeke. I think Dez is done unless he takes a big pay cut. I don’t see other teams paying him a ton but you never know. A mercurial receiver whose production is down and who is aging is not where most teams will invest at a high price. A contender could take as a flyer.
There is no doubt about that, but in a cap world giving Hitchens $9M/year long term would have been a very risky move and while I love Hitchens I am glad we let him go elsewhere. Simple fact is Jaylon Smith is the one that is supposed to replace Hitchens and this is the year that he should be healthy and show us what he's got and the year to judge the draft pick on. You need to look at the Smith signing as more a replacement for Durant, Wilbur, etc and I'm glad to see those guys gone. So from that perspective I am optimistic about this signing

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying its a bad signing, just on the surface I don't see this as a win/loss changing signing. I do think it's funny when our resident GB fan chimed in with him being a Starter in GB.
maybe the plan is that he is filling a hole in the LB slots and we draft someone like Rashaad Evans as the starter. we also lost Wilber too so we're really thin at LB: Lee, Smith and Wilson and fodder. so Thomas fills a need

Last edited:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe the plan is that he is filling a hole in the LB slots and we draft someone like Rashaad Evans as the starter. we also lost Wilber too so we're really thin at LB: Lee, Smith and Wilson and fodder. so Thomas fills a need
I do think thats what it is and again I'm not against the signing because as I stated earlier it's not cap busting. Jarnnt said it perfectly right before you, in the cap world, I'd rather have Thomas and his contract vs. Hitchens and his contract.
Again not against it just thought it was funny with all the complaints about the lack of FA signings they sign a ST guy.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think thats what it is and again I'm not against the signing because as I stated earlier it's not cap busting. Jarnnt said it perfectly right before you, in the cap world, I'd rather have Thomas and his contract vs. Hitchens and his contract.
Again not against it just thought it was funny with all the complaints about the lack of FA signings they sign a ST guy.
agree but not counting the Ladouceur re-sign and the Thomas signing we only have $6747082 available so signing anyone is difficult. the Orlando Scandrick release frees up 3000000 after June 1. so unless we restructure and/or release we can't even cover our rookie pool right now

Last edited:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played OK for Buffalo last year. I guess If an average at best WR and LB leaves us enough money to sign a potential starting OL going into the draft, I'll be happy

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those of you that wanted speed:
Jim Caldwell upbeat about Deonte Thompson, a 4.23 speedster

although he went undrafted out of the University of Florida, Thompson ran the 40-yard dash between 4.23 seconds and 4.33 seconds at his campus Pro Day workout for a composite time of 4.31 seconds.

The 6-foot, 203-pounder also bench pressed 225 pounds 20 times and registered a 36 1/2 inch vertical leap and a 10-5 broad jump.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played OK for Buffalo last year. I guess If an average at best WR and LB leaves us enough money to sign a potential starting OL going into the draft, I'll be happy
have to think that the Cowboys are getting ready to clear salary and the first name that comes to mind is Dez. either by reworking the contract, by restructuring or by releasing. then comes Tyron. then after that the releases

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have to think that the Cowboys are getting ready to clear salary and the first name that comes to mind is Dez. either by reworking the contract, by restructuring or by releasing. then comes Tyron. then after that the releases
Why would they restructure Smith? He already has a crap load of dead money and he has a bad back. What benefit do they get from restructuring him? I don't think they are going to sign anyone that would require that move and it would be a horrible "kick the can down the road" move.:2cents:

And this move, in and of itself, does not impact Dez at all IMO

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those of you that wanted speed:
Jim Caldwell upbeat about Deonte Thompson, a 4.23 speedster

although he went undrafted out of the University of Florida, Thompson ran the 40-yard dash between 4.23 seconds and 4.33 seconds at his campus Pro Day workout for a composite time of 4.31 seconds.

The 6-foot, 203-pounder also bench pressed 225 pounds 20 times and registered a 36 1/2 inch vertical leap and a 10-5 broad jump.
Sounds great if he can catch. Those measurables makes me think he might have DB hands. You know those who wanted to be WRs but a few HS games in coach says, "Hey, go change your number, were moving you to safety".

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the signing of Thompson and the visitation as a strong negotiating tool with Dez. While I personally would just like to see him traded (even if we have to eat some of his contract to get it done), the Cowboys acquisition of and indication of interest in other WRs tells Dez his days are numbered in Dallas if he doesn't take a significant cut. Good luck getting a #1 WR salary anywhere else.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the signing of Thompson and the visitation as a strong negotiating tool with Dez. While I personally would just like to see him traded (even if we have to eat some of his contract to get it done), the Cowboys acquisition of and indication of interest in other WRs tells Dez his days are numbered in Dallas if he doesn't take a significant cut. Good luck getting a #1 WR salary anywhere else.
I'd rather keep Dez just for his RedZone presence, but at a reduced cost.
I stand by my belief a speed WR who can catch will be the biggest addition this O needs.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that one. I kind of see Dez laughing at the fact that Thompson is a threat to him and the reason he better take a pay cut "or else".

On the pay cut, it's only happening IMO if we guarantee him the salary for this year and probably next year and I don't want to do that, so if I'm GM, I'm going to just leave him alone until July or August and then figure out if we are a better team with him or without him once and for all

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, hypothetical here...let's say we add Hurns and we also pick a WR in the first round. Does that mean Dez is done here immediately?

There would be little benefit to cutting him immediately IMO because there would be really nothing to use his cap dollars on. So my guess is we would wait to see how the two new guys looked in the offseason and then make a decision after 6/1. I think the easy decision is to say yes we cut him, but what if he looks great or injury strikes somewhere, or one or both of the new guys don't look good, etc. I'd put the decision off until the Summer. This could also be related to me not loving Hurns though. If I liked him more it would be an easy post draft call I guess.
I think the guy in danger of being cut is TWIll

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the guy in danger of being cut is TWIll
Problem is his guaranteed salary for 2018. So zero cap benefit. If he is cut it will be in August IMO. If we cut him pre-6/1 his cap hit actually increases $2.5M to $7.25M. If we cut him post 6/1 it remains unchanged from where it was if we keep him.

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that one. I kind of see Dez laughing at the fact that Thompson is a threat to him and the reason he better take a pay cut "or else".

Of course, the addition of Thompson alone doesn't provide any leverage with him, but if we were to bring in Hurns, that definitely says something and it is definitely a bargaining chip.

I also agree with UK - TWill is in danger as well.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds great if he can catch. Those measurables makes me think he might have DB hands. You know those who wanted to be WRs but a few HS games in coach says, "Hey, go change your number, were moving you to safety".
A great situation for a guy with great speed. Teams like to load the box against Zeke and double team Beasley while matching their lockdown corner on Dez. That leaves the other corner locked up on a 4.3 guy with no safety help. Hmm...

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they restructure Smith? He already has a crap load of dead money and he has a bad back. What benefit do they get from restructuring him? I don't think they are going to sign anyone that would require that move and it would be a horrible "kick the can down the road" move.:2cents:

And this move, in and of itself, does not impact Dez at all IMO
well they have already restructured Frederick which why we have $6747082 in cap room and we have exhausted a good portion of that with the Ladouceur, Olawale, Thomas and Thompson additions. so moves have to be made, what would you do?