• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason news

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't understand why so many Cowboys fans can't get behind this kid...
It's the nature of the beast in teh NFL and in Dallas in particular. Plus with him it's just to try to piss people off at this point I think.

Truth be told though Dak does need to be better than last year (but doesn't even need to be as good as year 1). But I worry if we don't do anything at WR he isn't going to have much of a chance because Garrett sure as heck won't change up his offense. Only so many times a game you can throw to a receiving corps that is a combination of slow, small, covered and drops too many and think you are going to complete more than a short yardage play on 3rd down very often. We need to change some of the patterns or some of the players running them because the combination needs an upgrade.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read Dallas is the only team that hasn't signed a FA yet. Not sure if true of not

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read Dallas is the only team that hasn't signed a FA yet. Not sure if true of not
They can't win either way. If the Patriots pass on big FA's, they are ahead of the curve, Dallas is missing the boat. If the Cowboys make a splash, they are mortgaging their future and headed to salary cap Hell. Personally, I think we have been the most well run organization in the NFL the last several years. The Cowboys cap was the worst in NFL history, the roster was old and getting older. The Cowboys have built a star filled team through the draft, they are much younger, the cap is in good shape going forward. I can't think of many FA's that have signed in the first week that I wish we had landed at the price they signed for. I wanted Hitchens back, but most people thought he was going to command $5-$6 million tops. When he goes for $9 million per, it's a good idea to sit that dance out

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe one of the 6 top rated QBs will be available when we pick in round one... :hope:
I think it's smart to draft a QB at least every other year, but if the Cowboys took one at 19 this season, I'd be pissed. I don't know which players out of Payne, Ridley, Vea, Sutton, Evans, Smith, Wynn or Hernandez will be there, but a couple of them will be, anyway. Why pass on a probable starter/possible star at a need position to draft a QB that will at best be a backup for the next few years? No sense at all to me.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can't win either way. If the Patriots pass on big FA's, they are ahead of the curve, Dallas is missing the boat. If the Cowboys make a splash, they are mortgaging their future and headed to salary cap Hell. Personally, I think we have been the most well run organization in the NFL the last several years. The Cowboys cap was the worst in NFL history, the roster was old and getting older. The Cowboys have built a star filled team through the draft, they are much younger, the cap is in good shape going forward. I can't think of many FA's that have signed in the first week that I wish we had landed at the price they signed for. I wanted Hitchens back, but most people thought he was going to command $5-$6 million tops. When he goes for $9 million per, it's a good idea to sit that dance out
My feeling is there is always another player. You can't fall in love with your own and you need to be willing to pass on guys when their price exceeds their value on the field (Hitchens fits both) and that happens a lot week 1 of FA.

But, in the short run there are only so many FAs available and you need to fill holes when they are big. The idea that getting LB "A" or OG "B" makes up for missing out on another player that you could have had isn't always true. So when there are guys out there you need to pounce and sometimes you need to overpay a little if the situation is right unless you are rebuilding. We are not the best run team by a mile. We still have a cap problem and we still need to restructure just to operate. We have a LT with a bad back that we owe a shitload of future unallocated cap $'s too. Restructuring guys like Scandrick in prior years is why we aren't saving $3M by cutting him, but half that. Our front office guys are good at math, not the cap. They find a way to get under and are still doing it. We haven't had a real big FA signing since 2012 and that is mostly because we aren't run right. That is crazy in the NFL and we don't have the luxury of Tom Brady and Belichick to make up for it. We need to start letting more of our own guys go so that we can bring in bigger needs if that is what it takes instead of being afraid to lose anyone and restructuring guys. Crawford could be a key guy off the bench or spot starter, but we need an OL more and he is absolutely not worth a $9M cap hit and he was not worth a $10M cap hit last year. But, yes, I 100% agree we have come a long way from where we were. The cap future and present is way better than what it was. We just need to cut the guys that aren't earning their cap $'s to complete the turnaround.

Our drafting has been great but the mentality of adding players in the draft for year one is way too risky. You absolutely can't go into the draft looking for a specific position and you can't count on your needs being filled and you can't count on players contributing year 1. The draft needs to be about finding the best players to set you up for the next 5 to 10 years. We forced DE in the first and he didn't play much. That pick certainly can pay off in the long run, but the point is that year one production is never a guarantee if with a good player.

Just one man's opinion of course

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's smart to draft a QB at least every other year, but if the Cowboys took one at 19 this season, I'd be pissed. I don't know which players out of Payne, Ridley, Vea, Sutton, Evans, Smith, Wynn or Hernandez will be there, but a couple of them will be, anyway. Why pass on a probable starter/possible star at a need position to draft a QB that will at best be a backup for the next few years? No sense at all to me.
Me too. If they literally were jumping out of their chairs because they felt the QB they took at #19 was worthy of a top 2 or 3 pick and we got him there I'd be OK with it, but the idea of needing to take a QB is crazy. Dak is going into his 3rd year and while year 2 wasn't great, year 1 was one of the best in the history of the NFL. Give him some weapons and a better line play and Zeke on the field and he is going to be much more than adequate, he's going to be very good

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Jerry got executive of the year 2 years ago that award most likely should have went to Will McClay. And IMHO we are not even close to the best ran Team in the NFL. Improvement from the old days 100% agreement. We still owe way to much against the cap in Dead money but that is slowly coming off the books but at some point you have to dare I say it pull a "Cleveland " and burn down the house and rebuild without the 20 years of bad decisions . That takes understanding from the top Brass to the fans that we are going to sux for 3-5 years then we will rebuild.
Not everybody would or could be on board and Jerry never would be.

JMHO

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Jerry got executive of the year 2 years ago that award most likely should have went to Will McClay. And IMHO we are not even close to the best ran Team in the NFL. Improvement from the old days 100% agreement. We still owe way to much against the cap in Dead money but that is slowly coming off the books but at some point you have to dare I say it pull a "Cleveland " and burn down the house and rebuild without the 20 years of bad decisions . That takes understanding from the top Brass to the fans that we are going to sux for 3-5 years then we will rebuild.
Not everybody would or could be on board and Jerry never would be.

JMHO
I think we can all agree that McClay has been fantastic and as a result our drafts as well.:suds:

On rebuild I can't agree with that at all. This team is close, young and talented. The arrow is pointing up and with 3 or 4 new starters/contributors off the bench we can be as good as anyone. I do feel we are very close. Heck, we were 13-3 two years ago and while I never thought we were a "13 win" team it proves we were close and we aren't that different from that team.

Read yesterday that the scouts wanted Watt over Taco last year. Not saying he will be the better player, but he sure was year one. Keeping McClay was a huge deal for this team. He and his whole group seem great.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carr had 4 ints last year and the only two years he didn't have any were with Dallas. Maybe it's more our defense than the players. Our DBs always seem so passive in coverage and with the ball. It seems they are always chasing. Other teams DBs act like they have a right to the ball and are in better position. Maybe it's the lack of deep help
Possible, but hasn't the problem existed through a few DCs?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible, but hasn't the problem existed through a few DCs?
Carr KC average 2 Ints per year
Carr with Cowboys before Marinelli two seasons, 3 Ints in both seasons.
Carr under Marinelli: three seasons; Ints: 0, 0, 1
Carr since Cowboys: one season 4 Ints

To be clear I'm not saying it is all Marinelli of course because I think he tries to stress turnovers, but to answer the question, no it hasn't existed through a few DCs for Carr. IMO it's more playing Heath, Church and Wilkins in a one deep scheme that gave no help to the CBs and that I have to blame at least in part on Marinelli

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it happens, this would hopefully be a no (or very little) guaranteed money signing to compete for the swing tackle spot, but hopefully get some decent competition going. I am always in favor of bringing in a guy that is your worst case scenario even if you are still trying to upgrade in the draft because if all else falls through at least you have him. I just don't see how they can go to Green again after last year's debacle. But bringing in a guy like this at least allows them to strengthen the bottom of the roster and maybe he impresses and wins the swing tackle job outright. Kick the tires and see what he's got and what he is looking for. I wonder if he has Guard flex?

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carr had 4 ints last year and the only two years he didn't have any were with Dallas. Maybe it's more our defense than the players. Our DBs always seem so passive in coverage and with the ball. It seems they are always chasing. Other teams DBs act like they have a right to the ball and are in better position. Maybe it's the lack of deep help
You have a point but Orlando has horrible hands.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it happens, this would hopefully be a no (or very little) guaranteed money signing to compete for the swing tackle spot, but hopefully get some decent competition going. I am always in favor of bringing in a guy that is your worst case scenario even if you are still trying to upgrade in the draft because if all else falls through at least you have him. I just don't see how they can go to Green again after last year's debacle. But bringing in a guy like this at least allows them to strengthen the bottom of the roster and maybe he impresses and wins the swing tackle job outright. Kick the tires and see what he's got and what he is looking for. I wonder if he has Guard flex?
He played pretty well as a starter for N.E. once he got in the lineup. I think he would start at RT, they would flip Collins back to guard and kill two birds with one stone. I think they want to go stud defender or WR in the 1st 2-3 rounds

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the more important offseason news. The draft is of course where it is at and where we have excelled:

Cowboys pre-draft visits: WR Calvin Ridley, OG Kolton Miller, OG Will Hernandez scheduled

I don't know why, but I am not as high on Ridley as most.
We disagree on that one buddy. Looks at the QB Alabama ran out there the last two years...ran well, but makes Tim Tebow look like Aaron Rodgers...and he still put up big numbers. Give him a legit QB and some single coverage from time to time and he will be great

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My feeling is there is always another player. You can't fall in love with your own and you need to be willing to pass on guys when their price exceeds their value on the field (Hitchens fits both) and that happens a lot week 1 of FA.

But, in the short run there are only so many FAs available and you need to fill holes when they are big. The idea that getting LB "A" or OG "B" makes up for missing out on another player that you could have had isn't always true. So when there are guys out there you need to pounce and sometimes you need to overpay a little if the situation is right unless you are rebuilding. We are not the best run team by a mile. We still have a cap problem and we still need to restructure just to operate. We have a LT with a bad back that we owe a shitload of future unallocated cap $'s too. Restructuring guys like Scandrick in prior years is why we aren't saving $3M by cutting him, but half that. Our front office guys are good at math, not the cap. They find a way to get under and are still doing it. We haven't had a real big FA signing since 2012 and that is mostly because we aren't run right. That is crazy in the NFL and we don't have the luxury of Tom Brady and Belichick to make up for it. We need to start letting more of our own guys go so that we can bring in bigger needs if that is what it takes instead of being afraid to lose anyone and restructuring guys. Crawford could be a key guy off the bench or spot starter, but we need an OL more and he is absolutely not worth a $9M cap hit and he was not worth a $10M cap hit last year. But, yes, I 100% agree we have come a long way from where we were. The cap future and present is way better than what it was. We just need to cut the guys that aren't earning their cap $'s to complete the turnaround.

Our drafting has been great but the mentality of adding players in the draft for year one is way too risky. You absolutely can't go into the draft looking for a specific position and you can't count on your needs being filled and you can't count on players contributing year 1. The draft needs to be about finding the best players to set you up for the next 5 to 10 years. We forced DE in the first and he didn't play much. That pick certainly can pay off in the long run, but the point is that year one production is never a guarantee if with a good player.

Just one man's opinion of course
I agree with you on the last part for sure, other than QB or RB, I wouldn't mind any position in round 1 if the Cowboys feel he is BPA

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never draft for need, always draft the best player available.