• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, this is a relief : Emmanuel Burriss Opts For Free Agency: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Emmanuel Burriss Opts For Free Agency

Giants infielder Emmanuel Burriss has elected free agency after being outrighted to Triple-A last Tuesday, according to the MLB.com transactions page. The Giants' 2006 first-round draft pick was to be arbitration eligible for the first time and MLBTR's Matt Swartz predicted a salary of $600K.

Burriss, who will turn 28 in January, played 60 games for the World Champion Giants posting a batting line of .213/.270/.221 while playing every infield position, except first base, and even making an appearance in right field. Burriss also played 29 games at Triple-A Fresno in 2012 with a .274/.342/.377 slash line.

During his five-year career with the Giants, Burriss was a .243/.304/.269 hitter.

Now we don't have to worry that he might take "the last spot on the roster" another time. I never understood the Giants organization's love for Manny.

Yep. I want my 25th guy to have a slash line of at least .243/.304/.324.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Although I was thinking only about the pick a team would have to forfeit, the compensation a team receives is not contingent on that player signing with another team. I did not know that. :yo:

I guess that's why I was not making myself understood.....should not have used the word "compensation" when I meant the pick the signing team would have to forfeit.

I don't think that's right. I think the comp pick is awarded only if the FA signs with another team. If he tears his ACL playing basketball in November and doesn't sign by the '13 draft, the original club gets no pick.

Again, assuming the deadline is the next draft. It may be earlier.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
El Lefty Malo's take on the decision not to give Pagan a QO:

The Giants can still re-sign Pagan, but if they don't, no extra draft pick. It was a weird decision. Pagan almost certainly wasn't going to accept the offer. And even if he did, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a slightly overpaid Pagan on board for 2013. My only guess is the Giants had some hint that he might accept it, and they absolutely couldn't fit that particular $13.3 M into their budget. Both ends of that scenario seems far-fetched. Or his extreme up-and-down year, which included a self-inflicted oops-I-punched-a-wall injury, made $13 M more of an overpay that we, in our post-championship haze, care to admit.

Another possibility: Making the offer might have angered Pagan, because it would have forced teams that don't have a top ten draft pick to think hard about losing their pick to sign Pagan. In other words, it would have tamped down his value. Which would make Pagan angry. Which would make him less likely to re-sign.... yeah, I don't think so either. We're grasping at straws to figure this one out.

All we know is that Giants have effectively punted a potential draft pick. It would be great to have Angel Pagan back in center field and leading off for the next couple years, but there's a good chance someone will outbid the Giants, and now the Giants will have nothing to show for it.

There has got to be something we don't know about this.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
El Lefty Malo's take on the decision not to give Pagan a QO:

The Giants can still re-sign Pagan, but if they don't, no extra draft pick. It was a weird decision. Pagan almost certainly wasn't going to accept the offer. And even if he did, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a slightly overpaid Pagan on board for 2013. My only guess is the Giants had some hint that he might accept it, and they absolutely couldn't fit that particular $13.3 M into their budget. Both ends of that scenario seems far-fetched. Or his extreme up-and-down year, which included a self-inflicted oops-I-punched-a-wall injury, made $13 M more of an overpay that we, in our post-championship haze, care to admit.

Another possibility: Making the offer might have angered Pagan, because it would have forced teams that don't have a top ten draft pick to think hard about losing their pick to sign Pagan. In other words, it would have tamped down his value. Which would make Pagan angry. Which would make him less likely to re-sign.... yeah, I don't think so either. We're grasping at straws to figure this one out.

All we know is that Giants have effectively punted a potential draft pick. It would be great to have Angel Pagan back in center field and leading off for the next couple years, but there's a good chance someone will outbid the Giants, and now the Giants will have nothing to show for it.

There has got to be something we don't know about this.

Good post tz. Yeah, it does seem strange. My thinking was in line with paragraph 2. I also thought it may have been kind of a precedent that the Giants would do their potential FA's a solid if that FA did a great job for the Giants the year before. Maybe make SF a more enticing landing spot for future FA's???

Maybe Pagan said he'd give them a slight hometown discount on a "match" deal so that he could at least test free agency and see what his worth was? For instance, if the Yankees offered him $14M a year for 3 years, he'd say the Giants would only have to pay $13M a year for 3 years to come back? That seems like a really, really, really long stretch though.

I'm with you and El Malo, I'm confused.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post tz. Yeah, it does seem strange. My thinking was in line with paragraph 2. I also thought it may have been kind of a precedent that the Giants would do their potential FA's a solid if that FA did a great job for the Giants the year before. Maybe make SF a more enticing landing spot for future FA's???

Maybe Pagan said he'd give them a slight hometown discount on a "match" deal so that he could at least test free agency and see what his worth was? For instance, if the Yankees offered him $14M a year for 3 years, he'd say the Giants would only have to pay $13M a year for 3 years to come back? That seems like a really, really, really long stretch though.

I'm with you and El Malo, I'm confused.

It made zero sense, unless as stated by El Malo, there is something we don't know. I don't think that any team should take the approach of not making a QO as a favor to a player or as enticement to future FA's. Baseball's a business and you have to do what is best for the team. Passing on making a QO on Pagan seems to be not in the team's best interests. Assuming that the market for him is as strong as has been rumored, I think we just have to let him walk because we can't afford to overpay him.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It made zero sense, unless as stated by El Malo, there is something we don't know. I don't think that any team should take the approach of not making a QO as a favor to a player or as enticement to future FA's. Baseball's a business and you have to do what is best for the team. Passing on making a QO on Pagan seems to be not in the team's best interests. Assuming that the market for him is as strong as has been rumored, I think we just have to let him walk because we can't afford to overpay him.

That statement is mine, the italics are Malo's.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that. It seems like an overpay, but I was swayed by someone's comment that you can't replace Affeldt with one player because of his ability to pitch to both left-handed at right-handed batters.

And then there were five.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Affeldt was coming back no matter what, I've outlined this many times. 3/18 is a 1 million dollar raise for his fantastic last 4 years here, nothing world burning.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As always, Sabean knows what he's doing. That said, I hope they have a plan for a legit leadoff hitter (ie not Blanco) because it should be obvious now how important that is for our team, in our park, to our offense.

Good leadoff hitting in 2010 = ring
Bad leadoff hitting in 2011 (and of course Scott Cousins) = horrible offense
Good leadoff hitting in 2012 = ring

I see a pattern

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That statement is mine, the italics are Malo's.

Sorry, my eyes didn't pick up the change from italics to non-italics the first time I read it.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As always, Sabean knows what he's doing. That said, I hope they have a plan for a legit leadoff hitter (ie not Blanco) because it should be obvious now how important that is for our team, in our park, to our offense.

Good leadoff hitting in 2010 = ring
Bad leadoff hitting in 2011 (and of course Scott Cousins) = horrible offense
Good leadoff hitting in 2012 = ring

I see a pattern

Ichiro!

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Affeldt was coming back no matter what, I've outlined this many times. 3/18 is a 1 million dollar raise for his fantastic last 4 years here, nothing world burning.

Shocking numbers until you see what his previous contract was like.

For as many times as he's been shaky, he seems to come up big in big moments.

+ can pitch to LH and RH
+ gets groundballs
+ can pitch more than 1 inning
+ can sub in as closer
+ (from all accounts) clubhouse glue guy

just need to add a freak injury clause in his contract