• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not understanding my question. If the player does not sign with any team, surely the compensation has an expiration date.

I think I do. The compensation doesn't vest until the FA signs with another team. Therefore, no contract = no draft pick lost.

Or are you asking something else?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As in if he didn't get a job until the actual season starts. I still think you would get draft pick compensation. Since they declined the QO, the team gets a pick no matter when they sign

Oh....I see the question now (or perhaps it's a different question?). I think any FA offered a QO remains a potential draft pick liability to the acquiring team indefinitely. In other words, say Oxy doesn't get what he wants in the market and doesn't sign until May (unlikely but still). The team signing him in May would give up its pick once Oxy was signed, unless that team were the Giants.

Just spitballing here, but the compensation liability would probably expire if the FA wasn't signed until after the draft in June -- I don't think the loss of a pick would roll into 2014. However, I don't know that to be true.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are already built for the playoffs based on our pitching alone. I want dudes who can get it done with the stick when we get there. Swisher has been to the playoffs 7 of the last 8 years and sucked bigtime to the tune of .169 in 154 ABs. That is not sucking in general, that is sucking in major.

I'm not sold.

Dave Cameron has him tied to Queefier's contract and getting about 5/90.

What Is Nick Swisher Worth? | FanGraphs Baseball

Omelette the Swish idea go.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Dodgers get Hunter, keep Ethier, sign that RP for 40M, and bring in another SP.

Just piling on to what will all end in a historic firesale

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think I do. The compensation doesn't vest until the FA signs with another team. Therefore, no contract = no draft pick lost.

Or are you asking something else?

Yes! Although I now doubt the answer will be worth the trouble of making myself understood, imagine a scenario where no team extends an offer to a FA to which a team has made a QO. Got that? The market for that player has failed.

The player decides to sit and wait.....spring training starts......the season begins......the all-star break.......the playoffs begin......a world series winner is crowned. At what point, if any, along that time-line is draft pick compensation uncoupled from signing that specific FA?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Let's assume Scoots gets 2/12. He'd need to give us 1.5 WAR to justify his contract. His last three years WAR are 2.4, 2.6, 1.9. Are you thinking he's going to go Rowand after the contract?

Does anyone really use WAR in that way? I haven't seen it outside of fantasy baseball writers. I'm not saying Scutaro will crater like Rowand, I meant I dismiss any extra $ consideration for a player's supposed mentoring ability.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes! Although I now doubt the answer will be worth the trouble of making myself understood, imagine a scenario where no team extends an offer to a FA to which a team has made a QO. Got that? The market for that player has failed.

The player decides to sit and wait.....spring training starts......the season begins......the all-star break.......the playoffs begin......a world series winner is crowned. At what point, if any, along that time-line is draft pick compensation uncoupled from signing that specific FA?

I answered this upthread; sorry I didn't get your question the first time. To recap: I'm not absolutely sure, but my guess is the June draft would be the expiration date.

It's not a farfetched question actually. Suppose Swish tears an ACL tomorrow and is out til July....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone really use WAR in that way? I haven't seen it outside of fantasy baseball writers. I'm not saying Scutaro will crater like Rowand, I meant I dismiss any extra $ consideration for a player's supposed mentoring ability.

I don't know that it'll be "extra" consideration; the market is going to fix his price and there is a dearth of 2B FAs. The mentoring/glue factor probably isn't going to change his price significantly. He's going to get 2/12. All I'm saying is that if he puts up 2.0 WAR this year and 1.0 next (as Panik works in), he'll be worth it.

Then again, I like WAR, and you do not.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I answered this upthread; sorry I didn't get your question the first time. To recap: I'm not absolutely sure, but my guess is the June draft would be the expiration date.

It's not a farfetched question actually. Suppose Swish tears an ACL tomorrow and is out til July....

That's pretty much the kind of scenario I was envisioning. That, or a Latin player getting kidnapped and losing part of a finger.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty much the kind of scenario I was envisioning. That, or a Latin player getting kidnapped and losing part of a finger.

You're a cold man, alt.

Well played. :scared::scared:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't know that it'll be "extra" consideration; the market is going to fix his price and there is a dearth of 2B FAs. The mentoring/glue factor probably isn't going to change his price significantly. He's going to get 2/12. All I'm saying is that if he puts up 2.0 WAR this year and 1.0 next (as Panik works in), he'll be worth it.

Then again, I like WAR, and you do not.

Which is exactly why I have him low on my list. If you have a captive player in your fold already who will put up similar numbers, then you don't have to pay FA market price.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is exactly why I have him low on my list. If you have a captive player in your fold already who will put up similar numbers, then you don't have to pay FA market price.

I guess I'm less than convinced that Kobe is going to do that.

You may well be right, though.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As in if he didn't get a job until the actual season starts. I still think you would get draft pick compensation. Since they declined the QO, the team gets a pick no matter when they sign

Interesting. Although I was thinking only about the pick a team would have to forfeit, the compensation a team receives is not contingent on that player signing with another team. I did not know that. :yo:

I guess that's why I was not making myself understood.....should not have used the word "compensation" when I meant the pick the signing team would have to forfeit.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I guess I'm less than convinced that Kobe is going to do that.

You may well be right, though.

I think they're real close, and I give the edge in D to Arias.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geezus. That is a shitload for him. He is a consistent regular season power threat, but $18 per? Wow. Next!

He is solid like many of you pointed out, not exactly the picture of a past his prime player like I tried to hyperbolize but let someone else overpay for him.

I'd rather invest in the current mantra of speed and defense in the outfield while all the experts keep scratching their heads "the Giants are so lucky..those balls are hit right at them"

lol that's centerfielder speed at all positions, bitches!

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He is solid like many of you pointed out, not exactly the picture of a past his prime player like I tried to hyperbolize but let someone else overpay for him.

I'd rather invest in the current mantra of speed and defense in the outfield while all the experts keep scratching their heads "the Giants are so lucky..those balls are hit right at them"

lol that's centerfielder speed at all positions, bitches!

You forgot to add: IEE YIE YIE!

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this is a relief : Emmanuel Burriss Opts For Free Agency: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Emmanuel Burriss Opts For Free Agency

Giants infielder Emmanuel Burriss has elected free agency after being outrighted to Triple-A last Tuesday, according to the MLB.com transactions page. The Giants' 2006 first-round draft pick was to be arbitration eligible for the first time and MLBTR's Matt Swartz predicted a salary of $600K.

Burriss, who will turn 28 in January, played 60 games for the World Champion Giants posting a batting line of .213/.270/.221 while playing every infield position, except first base, and even making an appearance in right field. Burriss also played 29 games at Triple-A Fresno in 2012 with a .274/.342/.377 slash line.

During his five-year career with the Giants, Burriss was a .243/.304/.269 hitter.

Now we don't have to worry that he might take "the last spot on the roster" another time. I never understood the Giants organization's love for Manny.