• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason, cap, team needs, etc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only talking about his guaranteed money this year. Your number in that original post didn't include the $7.5M guaranteed.

I refuse to entertain a scenario where we restructure Romo. It would be completely weckless. I'd like to see the restructure Romo scenario followed up with the Romo retires in camp due to injury scenario. Could happen to any player, but much more likely with Romo, Manning, etc.

I agree, but if Jerry had the same fears you and I have he wouldn't be owner of the Cowboys. It doesn't matter to me if we restructure or not to me, I think Jerry does it though.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got that number 130 just via a google search. Calvin is costing the Lions 20 mill of cap space next year.... nt one of those phony back loaded deals.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as. Much as your laughing at me your initial premise was Dez is gonna have a 8million cap hit next year. And you're laughing at me.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the issue. You're saying cutting cerain players will save money. All I said is your not factoring in their replacement costs so I don't need to stop anything. Rarely do all 7 draft choices make the team. I'm not saying it can't be done but people, including Eagle fans, say "Well if we got Joe Schmo that will save us 2 mill" without factoring in their replacements. I'm also not ripping Dallas cause Philly has the same exact problem next year.

In 2014 last season we had 14 Rookies on our roster. 8 of 9 draft selections made roster and played only Safety Ahmad Dixon didn't

In 2013 all 7 selections made the team

In 2012 all 7 selections made the team and played except an injured Matt Johnson

I'd say we have a good chance of hitting it again on at least having 7 rookies make next years team as long as we keep Will McClay, also do you need me to go back even longer than 3 years? I can!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as. Much as your laughing at me your initial premise was Dez is gonna have a 8million cap hit next year. And you're laughing at me.

Yes first year deal is always low with Dallas, but I wouldn't expect you to understand. How about this, lets make a bet I'd say that the franchise number will be the max he sees next year as a cap hit. So if it is the franchise cap number or less for Dez cap hit next year after EVERYTHING is final, then I am right if it's 15 or more you are then, no gray area. What you wanna bet

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know our numbers by any means but I would like to see us re-sign Dez and then see what Murray wants. We have been good about getting rid of RBs after we got the good out of him so if he wants too much and wants to walk, then I won't be too heart broken over it. The OL mashing has a lot to do with his success and I think we can plug and play with RBs and still be successful if the OL continues to play well.

My big focus is getting some DL help and secondary. I think our LB situation is going to be pretty good.

1st 2 picks I would like to see a DE and DT unless there is a stud secondary player on the board still.
If Murray walks, then I would draft a RB with the 3rd or 4th pick. Drafting the secondary is helpful but getting a better push from our DL will help our DBs a lot

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know our numbers by any means but I would like to see us re-sign Dez and then see what Murray wants. We have been good about getting rid of RBs after we got the good out of him so if he wants too much and wants to walk, then I won't be too heart broken over it. The OL mashing has a lot to do with his success and I think we can plug and play with RBs and still be successful if the OL continues to play well.

My big focus is getting some DL help and secondary. I think our LB situation is going to be pretty good.

1st 2 picks I would like to see a DE and DT unless there is a stud secondary player on the board still.
If Murray walks, then I would draft a RB with the 3rd or 4th pick. Drafting the secondary is helpful but getting a better push from our DL will help our DBs a lot

I think Murray stays, the only way he's gone is if Jerry has some kind of under the table deal done with AP. I agree with you on drafting up front, but a safety early wouldn't hurt my feelings either

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Murray stays, the only way he's gone is if Jerry has some kind of under the table deal done with AP. I agree with you on drafting up front, but a safety early wouldn't hurt my feelings either

I think Murray is gone, and I don't think it's because we won't be able to afford him, but more or less we have a number and will stick to it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes first year deal is always low with Dallas, but I wouldn't expect you to understand. How about this, lets make a bet I'd say that the franchise number will be the max he sees next year as a cap hit. So if it is the franchise cap number or less for Dez cap hit next year after EVERYTHING is final, then I am right if it's 15 or more you are then, no gray area. What you wanna bet

Year 1 cap hit won't be $15M unless he is tagged. I'd be surprised if year 1 "CAP HIT" is over $10M.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Year 1 cap hit won't be $15M unless he is tagged. I'd be surprised if year 1 "CAP HIT" is over $10M.

I'd be shocked if year one cap hit was over 8M bro to be honest.....you have to understand that in 3 more years the Romo will be cut probably and or take less to stay with him being at that point where he is probably no longer elite, this is why you push money to the back end, because in three years Romo's contract won't be at 20M per or he won't be on the team. This is another reason I have no problem with the restructure as in 3 years from now that 20M from Romo's contract will probably be free or at least part of it. Push it back when the big bucks come off the book, it balances out in the end trust me.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update on NFL dot com that Boys have a 4yr slightly more than 4M per offer standing for Murray. Hate to say it PE1 but like I said if Murray making more than 6M per it won't be in Dallas.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing here Ford, rumor has it that the Browns are done with Johnny Football, and that they are ready to let him go and move on. If this is true look for Jerry to have his cake in Martin and Ice Cream in Johnny this offseason. I'd say a 4th is fair. Question is, Browns also have been rumored that inside the org they want to move on from Josh Gordon, and are tired of his problems, they are rumored to possibly cut him this offseason. Would you trade a 2nd for Johnny and Josh? Before you answer know that Josh is one strike away from being out of this league and that Johnny would probably fuck Dez up in the head and get him in all kinds of trouble. So your thoughts, does the reward outweigh the risk?

My only issue with that, and yes I know JF isn't in legal trouble and people deserve second chances, but do you want to take what we have right now and basically in the offseason add Brent back to the mix, plus AP, plus JF, but Gordon?

I don't want any part of JFF or Gordon. AP I'm ok with, that deal got out of hand quickly and became a lynch mob.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update on NFL dot com that Boys have a 4yr slightly more than 4M per offer standing for Murray. Hate to say it PE1 but like I said if Murray making more than 6M per it won't be in Dallas.

If he really wants it, I'd go with 4 years at $5.5M, but not much more than that. I'm jaded as a Dallas fan. We have seen this before. A RB runs really hard when he's in his contract year, and then plays the "I'm not gonna get hurt, I gotta get ready for the next contract" game.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he really wants it, I'd go with 4 years at $5.5M, but not much more than that. I'm jaded as a Dallas fan. We have seen this before. A RB runs really hard when he's in his contract year, and then plays the "I'm not gonna get hurt, I gotta get ready for the next contract" game.

don't need a Marion Barber situation. 4 years is rather dicey with RB's these days.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another link again for you PE1 Cowboys DeMarco: A Future Outside Of Dallas - Dallas - Scout
http://dal.scout.com/story/1473775-cowboys-demarco-a-future-outside-of-dallas?s=112

I read this article too, the thing I loved hearing about was McClay's approach to the draft. This guy has his act together. I wonder if Jerry would be willing to change McClays title to GM to keep him. Jerry of course would still have finally say. More likely, Jerry will throw a lot of money at him. This guy has some Ozzie Newsome about him, teams will keep knocking on that door

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really confused at how you're coming at me Nets? Why show me a link to what Dallas offered Murray. I never said anything about that. All I said is if Dallas WANTS to keep him its gonna cost more then the 6 million per you thought it would take to keep him. Just cause Jerry offered him a "insulting" offer has NOTHING to do with what I said. All I said is 6 mill ain't getting it done. Could he say, "Man, I don't want to move and uproot my kids and take 6 mill", I suppose so, but I highly doubt it cause this will bw his one an only big money contract and someone will give a superstar RB more then what Jerry just offered.

I don't study contracts but you and Jarntt are saying his 1st year cap hit will be less then 8. Maybe I'm wrong but I think Dez wants a MEGA "I am the best WR in the NFL" type of contract. That's what Fitz got and that's what Megatron got. I just think this is a 9 figure contract and can't see how it will only work out to an 8 million hit. And if francjized I think Dez frigging erupts.

I'm not doubting anything about Dallas. I'm not saying they won't get these deals done. I'm just saying Dez and Demarco are going to get PAID. And in Dez's case... 9 figure mega deal (which he deserves).

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really confused at how you're coming at me Nets? Why show me a link to what Dallas offered Murray. I never said anything about that. All I said is if Dallas WANTS to keep him its gonna cost more then the 6 million per you thought it would take to keep him. Just cause Jerry offered him a "insulting" offer has NOTHING to do with what I said. All I said is 6 mill ain't getting it done. Could he say, "Man, I don't want to move and uproot my kids and take 6 mill", I suppose so, but I highly doubt it cause this will bw his one an only big money contract and someone will give a superstar RB more then what Jerry just offered.

I don't study contracts but you and Jarntt are saying his 1st year cap hit will be less then 8. Maybe I'm wrong but I think Dez wants a MEGA "I am the best WR in the NFL" type of contract. That's what Fitz got and that's what Megatron got. I just think this is a 9 figure contract and can't see how it will only work out to an 8 million hit. And if francjized I think Dez frigging erupts.

I'm not doubting anything about Dallas. I'm not saying they won't get these deals done. I'm just saying Dez and Demarco are going to get PAID. And in Dez's case... 9 figure mega deal (which he deserves).
You could give someone a 10 year $200 million contract and still have a 1st year cap hit of $8 million or less. Lets say it were that insane contract, 10/200. You give him a $50 million signing bonus and a 1st year salary of $3 million. The $50 million bonus is divided over the 10 years at $5 million per, and that $5 million is added to the $3 million base and the 1st year cap hit is $8 million. You would still owe him $147 million in salary over the next 9 years, but would really only be on the hook for the guaranteed amount or number of years guaranteed. However, if you cut him before the 10 years is up, the $5 million per year for the bonus is accelerated into a cap penalty, which you can divide over 2 years depending on when you cut him

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you are confusing Cap hit and REAL MONEY. Dez is going to get a huge signing bonus that will go along way towards making him rich and giving him the guaranteed $'s he wants, but along with that his year 1 salary will be very low AS COMPARED to the other years in the contract. The signing bonus from a cap perspective will be split evenly over the maximum 5 years and when added to his low year 1 salary to determine his cap hit will not be over $10M and perhaps well below. Doesn't mean he isn't getting a mega deal, just the way it works against the cap is all we are saying.