• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason, cap, team needs, etc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will start working on cap details soon based off of the projected 143M cap number as soon as I get out of my feelings in a few minutes. Good season, keep your heeds up my brothers we will build upon this and be stronger next season for it!

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will start working on cap details soon based off of the projected 143M cap number as soon as I get out of my feelings in a few minutes. Good season, keep your heeds up my brothers we will build upon this and be stronger next season for it!

Nets, you're the cap guru, if we keep Dez and Murray, maybe let Free walk, and resign McClain, will we have enough to sign an impact defender in FA? Thanks

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need a qb that will stick to a winning formula. Romo proved yet again he is not going to get us to a superbowl. That 3rd and 1 play at the end of the 1st half is not a play that an elite qb tries. The running game would have worked and they could have done it again on 4th down and used timeouts to stop the clock if needed. Instead you give the packers great field position and you also give them momentum.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After green bay scored on that 1st drive the cowboys were in total control until romo tried to be the hero. This has happened over and over. And if you are going to attempt that type of play do it to dez.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nets, you're the cap guru, if we keep Dez and Murray, maybe let Free walk, and resign McClain, will we have enough to sign an impact defender in FA? Thanks

We can honestly sign everyone and still have cap. Just depends on what Murray wants. If it was I, I would tag Dez until I got him at the deal I wanted and put the transition tags on Murray. Transition tag gives is no rights to keep Murray; but it does allow us first right of refusal by giving us the ability to match or decline any contract Murray signs with another team.

Over the cap has us at 13M with a projected cap of 140M; but I don't think they took into consideration there is dead money on Free's deal due to the restructures. I have us at 10M with the dead money in the same scenario.

We will get another 9M for declining Meltons contract, and I honestly think the cap will be between 145-150M which if at 145M with just the Free and decline of Melton we'd have 24M in space before anything else. I think they ask Carr to take a paycut, but we will see how all of that works. When I do the numbers it'll be more detailed. Just know you will have at least around 24M in cap space this offseason to sign Murray, Dez, Free, Carter, McClain, etc. this means we will have to restructure at least Tyron Smiths contract which would give is about 10M more in space.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need a qb that will stick to a winning formula. Romo proved yet again he is not going to get us to a superbowl. That 3rd and 1 play at the end of the 1st half is not a play that an elite qb tries. The running game would have worked and they could have done it again on 4th down and used timeouts to stop the clock if needed. Instead you give the packers great field position and you also give them momentum.

Don't think this game was Romos fault. We got good edge pressure through the game, but Nick Hayden has to be upgraded, I don't want to pay Suh what he wants but he'd be worth it. I think between Mincey and how DLaw looked these past few games we will be good on the edge. Also need a Safety, JJ is average at best.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Tony will restructure his contract to help, he sees the window and will want to keep guys around him

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think Tony will restructure his contract to help, he sees the window and will want to keep guys around him
Can we really do that and put more dead money out there? Seems crazy. 34 year old coming off two back surgeries.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can honestly sign everyone and still have cap. Just depends on what Murray wants. If it was I, I would tag Dez until I got him at the deal I wanted and put the transition tags on Murray. Transition tag gives is no rights to keep Murray; but it does allow us first right of refusal by giving us the ability to match or decline any contract Murray signs with another team.

Over the cap has us at 13M with a projected cap of 140M; but I don't think they took into consideration there is dead money on Free's deal due to the restructures. I have us at 10M with the dead money in the same scenario.

We will get another 9M for declining Meltons contract, and I honestly think the cap will be between 145-150M which if at 145M with just the Free and decline of Melton we'd have 24M in space before anything else. I think they ask Carr to take a paycut, but we will see how all of that works. When I do the numbers it'll be more detailed. Just know you will have at least around 24M in cap space this offseason to sign Murray, Dez, Free, Carter, McClain, etc. this means we will have to restructure at least Tyron Smiths contract which would give is about 10M more in space.

I saw the $13 million figure on over the cap. I like your line of thinking, and if the Cowboys bring the offense back intact, minus Free, I'm thinking the D needs 1 impact defender, preferably an edge rusher on Safety to replace Wilcox(I'm sorry, but his whiff on Adams did it for me), get Sean Lee back, and hopefully land a starter or two in the draft, and this team is a legit contender. Oh....and LOTS of rest for Romo

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he doesn't restructure, i think this next season is the last one in which we have more than a million or so penalty if we release him/retire.

I think we already have impact players on defense. I hate, hate, hate the idea of looking for DB help in FA. You have to overpay and even then it probably won't work unless you run the same scheme. I'd like to see us find a solid DE that can crash the line as well as get upfield. I like what Lawrence brings, but the other side needs help. I'd like to use a mid draft on a young QB with tools but that needs a year or two of seasoning. Will have to figure out who this is, don't know right now.

In the 6th or 7th round I'd look for a new RG and think about moving Martin to RT.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we really do that and put more dead money out there? Seems crazy. 34 year old coming off two back surgeries.

I think he is saying he will lower his base, not restructure his base to turn it into guaranteed money down the road. Basically Tony says look I only will play for 5M base this year instead of 10M. Problem is would you give back half of your salary this year for free to your boss knowing he's not going to fire you or transfer you? I wouldn't, and that is the problem with this. Tony works as hard if not harder and takes a beating like no one else. If he does do it though props to him; because I wouldnt and that's just being honest.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is saying he will lower his base, not restructure his base to turn it into guaranteed money down the road. Basically Tony says look I only will play for 5M base this year instead of 10M. Problem is would you give back half of your salary this year for free to your boss knowing he's not going to fire you or transfer you? I wouldn't, and that is the problem with this. Tony works as hard if not harder and takes a beating like no one else. If he does do it though props to him; because I wouldnt and that's just being honest.

Pretty sure if he said he was willing to take a guaranteed money paycut, he would face an uphill battle. The NFLPA and his agent would be the first in line to fight that. If we were talking a Dirk-esque team friendly contract, that is one thing. But giving up money already agreed upon? Not seeing that as ever happening.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My ideal offseason would look something like this....

Re-sign Dez
Tag Murray
Re-sign McClain
Re-sign Carter
Let Free walk, re-sign Parnell
Sign a veteran FS - JJ WIlcox moved to back up

1st 4 rounds of the draft:
1. DE/DT (pass rusher)
2. CB
3. RB/QB
4. QB/RB

I think we should be able to accomplish all of these things with the cap space we have/can create. I would love to see Dallas make a run at Suh, but I'm not sure we would have the cap space to do so in this scenario. Maybe Nets can chime in?

I would not be opposed to moving Martin to RT and drafting a G in the middle rounds.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My ideal offseason would look something like this....

Re-sign Dez
Tag Murray
Re-sign McClain
Re-sign Carter
Let Free walk, re-sign Parnell
Sign a veteran FS - JJ WIlcox moved to back up

1st 4 rounds of the draft:
1. DE/DT (pass rusher)
2. CB
3. RB/QB
4. QB/RB

I think we should be able to accomplish all of these things with the cap space we have/can create. I would love to see Dallas make a run at Suh, but I'm not sure we would have the cap space to do so in this scenario. Maybe Nets can chime in?

I would not be opposed to moving Martin to RT and drafting a G in the middle rounds.

Add in signing JPP and it would be Christmas come early

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure if he said he was willing to take a guaranteed money paycut, he would face an uphill battle. The NFLPA and his agent would be the first in line to fight that. If we were talking a Dirk-esque team friendly contract, that is one thing. But giving up money already agreed upon? Not seeing that as ever happening.

No he wouldn't be giving up guaranteed money. He couldn't do that anyways as he has already received the money that was guaranteed to him; but for cap purpose they spread it out over years rather than taking one big hit the same year he is paid. Once you sign any deal in the NFL you receive all guaranteed money agreed to in full upon signing the contract, not over the course of the contract like it is on paper.

Back to your point though Ford, his Base salary is not guaranteed money. He is free to give up as much of that as he wants as long as he plays for AT LEAST the league minimum. In other words Romo has a cap nubmber of 27,773,000 in 2015. Of that 5M is signing bonus which has already been paid when he signed the contract, 1,635,000 which is an option bonus in which he will get once the new league year starts, 4,138,000 of which is restructured money which has already litteraly been paid to him once he agreed to the restructure. None of that money can be touched or altered. HOWEVER the remaing amount on his 2015 salary is made up of a 17M base pay, that amount can be played with as it is not guaranteed. Romo can do one of two things, one he can do a restructure which is to take this money for cap purpose and spread it out over several years, we are use to this by now, he would then receive all of 2015's base pay up front and from that point it would be guaranteed money for cap accounting purposes for each year it is spread out over, but physically has already been paid out, OR he could do as Murph I believe was suggesting, and take a pay cut, which I believe Murph called a restructure which is not the correct term for it. By taking a paycut Romo then says hey Jerry, I believe this team can win it all, and I am willing to go from a 17M base to a 7M base to help. Problem with this is would you give back a large part of your annual base salary if your boss approached you about it? Romo is he did do a pay cut would never see the money he gives up, nor would it count on the cap. There is the problem, you are asking a guy who has the most job security of any player on this team, whom has a family, a bad back, will probably live a life in pain later down the road, and has a few more years to make money in the NFL to give back money in which he probably will have to live the rest of his life off of. Why would he give it back? I doubt he does nor is it fair for a fan to expect him to.

Another problem with this is that I also believe when the new nfl year begins that if Romo is on the team, his 2015 salary is fully guaranteed; so he would have to take a pay cut between now and March before the new league year begins; because whatever base number Romo carries into the new NFL league year becomes guaranteed money and therefore can't be reduced. Very complicated situation and don't depend on Romo taking a paycut, and I personally hope Jerry does not restructure his contract, it just wouldn't be good business. Look at Peyton Manning, last season looked like he could play another 4-5 years, after the second half of this year and yesterday, the guy looks done, looks average and not worth 20M a year. The fall off for QBs hits fast and very hard, and it will come sooner then later for Romo especially with back issues. As of now Romo can't be cut for 2015 no matter how you look at it, would be hard to cut in 2016, and in 2017 would still have about 10M in dead money if cut. 2018 is the first year you see little damage at 2.5M for cutting Romo. For me only way Romo's Cap Number is less in 2015 is if he takes a pay cut which is little to no chance.

Good News is we will be fine even if he doesn't, I will explain in a few.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn't restructure, i think this next season is the last one in which we have more than a million or so penalty if we release him/retire.

I think we already have impact players on defense. I hate, hate, hate the idea of looking for DB help in FA. You have to overpay and even then it probably won't work unless you run the same scheme. I'd like to see us find a solid DE that can crash the line as well as get upfield. I like what Lawrence brings, but the other side needs help. I'd like to use a mid draft on a young QB with tools but that needs a year or two of seasoning. Will have to figure out who this is, don't know right now.

In the 6th or 7th round I'd look for a new RG and think about moving Martin to RT.

Romo has dead money of 37.5M for 2015, 19M for 2016, 10M for 2017, 2.5M for 2018 so no lol he has a long way to go before we see 1M or less in dead money on his contract bro :L

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add in signing JPP and it would be Christmas come early

If we can do everything I outlined above, AND sign a guy like JPP, or Suh I would go out and put money on a Cowboys Super Bowl win. This team is not too far off. Retaining the current roster coupled with a strong draft and a smart defensive FA pick up will put this team over the top. Yesterday's loss really sucks, but I am happy knowing the future of this team is very bright. I think Romo comes back better next year, with an offseason to rest without having to deal with a major injury.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suppose Jerry doesn't resign Dez, but he signs elsewhere for an amount we can't match. but to replace him Jerry goes and gets either Demaryius Thomas or Maclin, and is able to do so for less than Dez.

I think Dez is a massive talent and don't want to see him go, but if we miss out on bringing him back and get one of those other two...all good?

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is only one other guy that can do what DEz did yesterday on the catch/ noncatch. Now if Romo is only gonna throw 20 times a game and your number one Wr is only going to get 4 targets, then that's not worth 12 million. I understand that he causes a safety to play deep and that helps the run game but to me he has to touch the ball more.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took a look through the QB's coming out this year. About the only QB that is projecting to be around in the 4th, perhaps, that I'd take a flyer on is Petty. Everyone else either does nothing for me or projects to be available through FA.

I'm not thrilled about having 2 QB's with the same back surgery on their resume, so maybe this isn't the year to be looking for the future franchise QB.