• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Seahawks vs Packers preseason game thread

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're all a little sensitive.

The Seahawks are not what you would call a "finesse" team. We all know they're physical. Some people interpret that as dirty. But throughout the past decade some of the best defenses the NFL has produced have been tough, physical and been labeled as dirty (The Steelers and Ravens come to mind).

So yes I personally think it was a valid and truthful post. I live and die with my team (As my friends can attest by numerous grumpy monday mornings) but the Seahawks are a dirty team and you'd be fooling yourself to say otherwise. It's not a bad thing either, just means we're not afraid to knock some heads off.

If we're being called a dirty team, must mean we're doing something right, because nobody would care if it was not working.

First of all it was the context and the source that warranted the response.

Second of all the term 'dirty' is not in itself a true and accurate description. Define it exactly. You can't which means it is an opinion. You can say they are aggressive or physical, but dirty?

Third, I wish they were 'dirty' or at least as physical and dominating as some of the great teams of the past. They are working at becoming a more physical team, but they are far from the most physical in the league and until they are it is just a work in progress.

There is no doubt players on this team play as hard and fast as they can. It's called competition and if they don't they are dropped from the team. Hard hits and going out full speed is how they roll. Nothing dirty about it. Oh there have been plenty of teams you could say dirty about I guess depending on how you define that, but this team isn't looking for cheap shots or to intentionally hurt players on the other teams to win. They are just playing hard.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, somethings I saw in the game:

1) Too many penalties. I know its preseason for everyone, but 14 is too much in any situation, and a lot of them were against the starters.

2) Red Bryant spent his fair share at DT, and since I've wanted him to move back there for a long time now, I was glad to see it happen. Our run D didn't seem to suffer from it, projected top 3 RBs combined for 15 carries and -2 yards.

3) Benson Mayowa played the entire game, and looked pretty good against the starters and I am getting more and more impressed with him the more I see.

4) Allen Bradford and John Lotulelei both looked less spectacular this week. Lotulelei showed he's too aggressive and doesn't stay in his assignment, and Bradford showed some of that as well justnot as badly.

5) Christine Michael looked fast tonight, and he does have moves. I still think that Turbin is the better all-around back right now, but Michael will be better later.

6) I don't remember seeing anything exciting about Spencer Ware.

7) Stephen Williams looks like he could be a productive WR, and man does he go after the ball.

8) Even if it was a preseason game, Green Bay was constantly blitzing at least 2 while their starters were in. Wilson's 3 sacks and one of his picks seemed to come from not having game planned for that, since there aren't game plans for most teams in the NFL, I am not worried about the lack of protection in this game.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether the Hawks are dirty or not is a matter of opinion, but they're starting to gain that reputation. At least among the fans of teams that they've beaten. Whether that translates to closer scrutiny by the league and the officials is something to watch for.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There can be a thin line between aggressive and hard hitting, and flat out dirty.

But you don't see our defenders doing alligator rolls on WRs and TEs and other stuff designed to purposely injure players. When we sack QBs, its not like you see Bruce Irvin launch at the knees of them or body slam them after the whistle blows. No more than any other team does.

We are not a finesse team on either side of the ball. We play aggressive and that's not dirty.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few initial thoughts.

RW was 5-5 on the opening series. That was good to see. But I think the major issue with the O tonight was a tendency to force things.

The Oline didn't perform well tonight, but wasn't a dumpster fire either. If this is their meh game to get settled down, good it happened in week 3 preseason. GB Dline played more aggressive than expected and lesson learned.

Irvin looked solid at SAM. Great to see.

Thurmond did a solid job at nickel role.

McDaniel should make the team. He showed some of the best 3-tech so far in preseason.

Michael is da goods as a change of pace back this year. His talent was boarder line freakish tonight. So explosive.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The penalties are a concern, but some of this I chalk up to the absolutely cutthroat competition we have for roster spots this year. This was easily one of the most intense preseasons I've ever seen in Seahawks history. I believe that will calm down once the final roster is set and the regular season begins.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The penalties are a concern no doubt, but I recall that as an issue every year in preseason. I do recall seeing too many in early season games as well in past seasons. I do agree that most of it will be cleaned up when the final roster is settled and players settle down into their rolls, but the overall aggressive style will probably always leave this team with more penalties than fans are comfortable with. Giacomini had way too many last year and I'm sure he will be a frequent flag target again this year. Sweezy might be another.

Is there really any way to be both a physical/aggressive team and be the lowest flagged team in the league? I'm sure it's just the price of doing business that way.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McDaniel should make the team. He showed some of the best 3-tech so far in preseason.

Did you doubt this? He is listed as the starter, just because he was not able to get on the field because of a nagging injury never made me think he wouldn't make the team. They brought him in for his ability to knock down passes at 6 foot 7. Like Pete always says " we find players that have a special quality about them and then put them into situations where they can excel." Was great to see him on the field finally.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all it was the context and the source that warranted the response.

Second of all the term 'dirty' is not in itself a true and accurate description. Define it exactly. You can't which means it is an opinion. You can say they are aggressive or physical, but dirty?

Third, I wish they were 'dirty' or at least as physical and dominating as some of the great teams of the past. They are working at becoming a more physical team, but they are far from the most physical in the league and until they are it is just a work in progress.

There is no doubt players on this team play as hard and fast as they can. It's called competition and if they don't they are dropped from the team. Hard hits and going out full speed is how they roll. Nothing dirty about it. Oh there have been plenty of teams you could say dirty about I guess depending on how you define that, but this team isn't looking for cheap shots or to intentionally hurt players on the other teams to win. They are just playing hard.

The Seahawks, in EVERY game they play against EVERY team they play, always get into it with other players from opposing teams. Something I don't see nearly as frequently with any other team. The fact that they are very heavily penalized, especially on the offensive line is another indication they are a dirty team. I live and die with my team but you'd be naive to think that the Seahawks don't play like a bunch of punks.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks, in EVERY game they play against EVERY team they play, always get into it with other players from opposing teams. Something I don't see nearly as frequently with any other team. The fact that they are very heavily penalized, especially on the offensive line is another indication they are a dirty team. I live and die with my team but you'd be naive to think that the Seahawks don't play like a bunch of punks.
I disagree that we play like punks.
We enforce the smash mouth style we have become. You can just see that when we are on the field no one is going to push us around. We are not dirty. We don't stomp our cletes into the face masks of our opponents. WEe dont twist their ankles in an attempt to cause damage to a player. We will knock their block off and dare them to stand up.
I will take this team over any we have ever had.

234, do you still think Turbin will remain our #2 RB throughout the season? My eye test says no.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem with the word 'dirty' is I know it when I see it and neither of us is likely to agree on it. That makes it hard to be a 'fact'. Pushing and shoving shows a lack of discipline which this team very much has and is a direct reflection of Pete's laid back coaching style. This also has enabled the PED culture of our team as well IMO. Penalties due to a lack of discipline isn't the same thing as penalties due to teams targeting other players. It just isn't. I've seen no evidence of Seattle trying to injure other players. Any view you have otherwise is your opinion and not a statement of fact as such I stand by my claim that no one can say this team is dirty as a fact. Thus your defense of the troll who came in attacking and not providing any real conversation to me is misplaced.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reviewing the RW picks I think one is on him, but was a good play by the defender. The first one was a perfectly timed jump which glanced off the helmet of the DE. The second one pissed me off though. It appeared like RW just threw it right to the Safety, but Doug Baldwin, who has no room for error with Kearse and Williams behind him, stopped running hard. He felt he was covered and slowed down, then realized Wilson threw the ball. He has to fix that. Not acceptable. Last season Wilson mainly threw to wide open receivers, but this year he is going to attempt to thread the needle more and the receivers need to trust him and run their routes all the way through the play. Had he kept running and made the slant, he would have been right there for the ball. He might have taken a hit by the safety, but he would have been there.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also loved that the game winning score, once again, was a simultaneous catch that Williams then ripped out of the corner's hands. Not the last play of the game, but it was nice.

Also, Tate was pissed that he could not complete the deep jump ball RW threw. He jumped high, had it in both hands but when he hit the ground it popped out. You know he wanted to do a little dance for the crowd if he grabbed that one.