• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Other Olympics Thread

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
slopestyle trashtalk

Canadian Max Parrot chirps Shaun White

Y! SPORTS

Shaun knows he won't be able to win the slopes, thats why he pulled out. He's scared!

Teammate Sébastien Toutant got his two cents' worth in as well
Mr. White... It's easy to find excuses to pull out of a contest when you think you can't win...

/or think you might die :noidea:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has happened to the camaraderie among snowboarders?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and drug testing

/chillax dudes

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does women's hockey belong in this thread? Yes, it does (lol). Interesting that the format for this tourney has changed in order to help out the Russian women's team qualify for the medal round.

Women's Olympic hockey tourney gets format change

That's a bit of an unfair characterization I think.

The debate about whether to even keep women's ice hockey started pretty heavily after the Vancouver games and the absolute thrashing the US and Canada gave to every other team.

I think if it helps to develop the women's game in some of the other traditional powerhouse men's countries like Finland, Russia, etc., that it's good for the game. I know a lot of people enjoy knowing that it's going to be US vs. Canada for gold before the tournament even starts, but I feel like it takes a lot away from the tournament.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a bit of an unfair characterization I think.

Unfair or truthful? I mean, outside of friends and family, will anybody else be watching any of these games until we get to the medal round? I may watch for a few minutes, but it's tough hockey to watch for an entire game. If you want to get more butts in the seats (and more viewers on tv), you want the host country to last in the tourney for as long as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfair or truthful? I mean, outside of friends and family, will anybody else be watching any of these games until we get to the medal round? I may watch for a few minutes, but it's tough hockey to watch for an entire game. If you want to get more butts in the seats (and more viewers on tv), you want the host country to last in the tourney for as long as possible.

I think it's unfair to imply that it's only to benefit Russia though. Assuming Russia and Sweden make it out of Group B, they would still need to beat Finland or Switzerland (working under the assumption that US and Canada get the byes) to get to the medal round.

This format helps every team that isn't the US and Canada.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's unfair to imply that it's only to benefit Russia though. Assuming Russia and Sweden make it out of Group B, they would still need to beat Finland or Switzerland (working under the assumption that US and Canada get the byes) to get to the medal round.

This format helps every team that isn't the US and Canada.

This is true, other teams are benefitting in addition to Russia.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not feeling very good about these games. hopefully its all just bad media stirring up shite

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe the U.S. isn't better at Curling. I mean there has to be some people in Alaska or the Dakota's who should be able to kick ass in this event. I mean it's like fishing. Call up your friends, get a KEG & play. It's really not that complicated. After all what else is there to do when it's 40 below outside?:D:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe the U.S. isn't better at Curling. I mean there has to be some people in Alaska or the Dakota's who should be able to kick ass in this event. I mean it's like fishing. Call up your friends, get a KEG & play. It's really not that complicated. After all what else is there to do when it's 40 below outside?:D:

There have been some pretty good curlers to come out of Minnesota, I think it is known as the curling mecca of America.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been some pretty good curlers to come out of Minnesota, I think it is known as the curling mecca of America.

Well I'm sure we'll know everything about the U.S. team. During the last Olympics NBC devoted an entire channel to Curling. I tried watching it. I really did. I just couldn't stay awake for more than 10 minutes.:D:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'm sure we'll know everything about the U.S. team. During the last Olympics NBC devoted an entire channel to Curling. I tried watching it. I really did. I just couldn't stay awake for more than 10 minutes.:D:

did you have a drink in your hand. an alcoholic drink. if not you are not doing it right. curling is a way of life....

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I owe my existence to curling as my parents met at a bonspiel.

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McMorris got fucked over big time on his second run. Now Kearny gets a very generous score in women's moguls....so that's the way its gonna be huh? *sigh*

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Female speed skating is what I'll be focused on. I like curling as well.