• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could end up helping at the #5 just like Blackley last year.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might just be me but I sort of think our FO office has made a few mistakes in not locking up some of the core members of the WS runs. My reasoning for this is more along the lines of chemistry and clubhouse environment than anything.

When we made our first run in 2010, we did it with a salary less than half of where we are now. I would argue that a lot of this had to do with the chemistry and them truly loving being out there every night together.

It seems like the last few seasons, that chemistry hasn't been there as much. One possible reason for this is players might have had a reality check when MY was traded and the way everything went down with that... along with several other players. Maybe these guys are not having as much fun because they don't feel as secure with our team anymore. I realize that its all business and from that standpoint I agree with many of the moves made, even the MY trade. But from a player perspective and clubhouse standpoint- this sort of thing could really make you question how loyal or committed you want to be to team. After all, the odds of them resigning you when you are a FA seem low, not to mention you could be traded at any time. The way some of these trades have went down haven't been as professional as you would generally like either. Perhaps I am wrong but I think a bunch of guys playing on a team that not sure of where there future lies with said team will struggle a little more than a team in which the future is not as much of a question b/c some loyalty exists.

I know I have broke the cardinal rule of never questioning JD... so let me have it.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might just be me but I sort of think our FO office has made a few mistakes in not locking up some of the core members of the WS runs. My reasoning for this is more along the lines of chemistry and clubhouse environment than anything.

When we made our first run in 2010, we did it with a salary less than half of where we are now. I would argue that a lot of this had to do with the chemistry and them truly loving being out there every night together.

It seems like the last few seasons, that chemistry hasn't been there as much. One possible reason for this is players might have had a reality check when MY was traded and the way everything went down with that... along with several other players. Maybe these guys are not having as much fun because they don't feel as secure with our team anymore. I realize that its all business and from that standpoint I agree with many of the moves made, even the MY trade. But from a player perspective and clubhouse standpoint- this sort of thing could really make you question how loyal or committed you want to be to team. After all, the odds of them resigning you when you are a FA seem low, not to mention you could be traded at any time. The way some of these trades have went down haven't been as professional as you would generally like either. Perhaps I am wrong but I think a bunch of guys playing on a team that not sure of where there future lies with said team will struggle a little more than a team in which the future is not as much of a question b/c some loyalty exists.

I know I have broke the cardinal rule of never questioning JD... so let me have it.

Just Andrus, technically Kinsler, Holland, & Harrison

Hamilton, Cruz, Napoli & CJ were let go b/c they were on the wrong side of 30 and wanted too much money, or had other issues on top of that

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just Andrus, technically Kinsler, Holland, & Harrison

Hamilton, Cruz, Napoli & CJ were let go b/c they were on the wrong side of 30 and wanted too much money, or had other issues on top of that

I guess what I am leaving out, is now with the Kins trade (which I support) and also the MY trade- the trading of our teams leaders while still under contract- might have guys like Holland, Andrus, and Harrison questioning if they will be on the team or if they will be traded away unexpectedly. Especially the Kins contract, he had just been extended the year before. Kind develops that "no ones job is secure" type of philosophy which sort of makes the workplace a little more stressful.

There have been more than the 4 you list but what I am talking about is really from the players perspective. They might not see it as " b/c they were on the wrong side of 30 and wanted too much money, or had other issues on top of that."

This may not be the reason the team chemistry has died down a bit but I think we can both agree it hasn't seemed like its been there as much since the mid 2012 season. There has to be some sort of dynamic that accounts for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I assume we drop Rosales and the A's pick him up. Isn't that how it works?

Not sure we could drop Rosales, aside from he and KK the Rangers seem to have 0 depth on the bench. The only other options are using prospects to fill out your bench like Leury and Profar last year. Surely they will not screw up Roogie or Sardinas by having them on the bench in the bigs vs developing in the minor leagues?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can understand the overall perception you are trying to get across and have had the same thoughts at times even though there are legitimate reasons for some of those guys from 2011 no longer being here.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess what I am leaving out, is now with the Kins trade (which I support) and also the MY trade- the trading of our teams leaders while still under contract- might have guys like Holland, Andrus, and Harrison questioning if they will be on the team or if they will be traded away unexpectedly. Especially the Kins contract, he had just been extended the year before. Kind develops that "no ones job is secure" type of philosophy which sort of makes the workplace a little more stressful.

There have been more than the 4 you list but what I am talking about is really from the players perspective. They might not see it as " b/c they were on the wrong side of 30 and wanted too much money, or had other issues on top of that."

This may not be the reason the team chemistry has died down a bit but I think we can both agree it hasn't seemed like its been there as much since the mid 2012 season. There has to be some sort of dynamic that accounts for that.

Worded your first sentence poorly then, "locking people up" implies signing them to extensions, Kinsler and Young were already "locked up" they just got traded, and for the right reasons, they were moved to make the team better, Young was addition by subtraction and Kinsler got us a 1B we had been craving and opened a spot for Profar

Neither guy was producing at the level intended and therefore became expendable, simple as that

If guys are wondering about being here next year, then they need to get or stay with the program, thats on them not JD

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a guaranteed deal btw.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worded your first sentence poorly then, "locking people up" implies signing them to extensions, Kinsler and Young were already "locked up" they just got traded, and for the right reasons, they were moved to make the team better, Young was addition by subtraction and Kinsler got us a 1B we had been craving and opened a spot for Profar

Neither guy was producing at the level intended and therefore became expendable, simple as that

If guys are wondering about being here next year, then they need to get or stay with the program, thats on them not JD

That's why I followed that first sentence up with several more and then even another post for clarification.

Anyway, my over point wasn't really to disagree with all the business moves. In many cases, on paper, it was the best thing to do. What I was trying to say over all is maybe sometimes making the best business decisions has some unforeseen or unaccounted for consequences.

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a guaranteed deal btw.

Per MLB Trade Rumors...

Saunders is guaranteed just $500K but will earn $1.5MM, plus incentives, if he makes the Major League roster, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the old adage of if you cant beat him sign him applies here. I haven't looked at the stats, but I seem to remember us always having trouble hitting this soft tosser.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I followed that first sentence up with several more and then even another post for clarification.

Anyway, my over point wasn't really to disagree with all the business moves. In many cases, on paper, it was the best thing to do. What I was trying to say over all is maybe sometimes making the best business decisions has some unforeseen or unaccounted for consequences.

You first post isn't clear on that at all, your 2nd post clears it up.

I was responding to your first post, so your 2nd post is irrelevant,

My 2nd post, minus the first sentence, is a reaction to your clarification, so don't try to make it to be that I was misunderstanding

Back on topic: There are unintended consequences to every decision, sometimes decisions just need to be made in the best interest of today and always with keeping an eye to the future

Re-upping and keeping around ineffective and perhaps soon to be ineffective players doesn't mesh with that

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the old adage of if you cant beat him sign him applies here. I haven't looked at the stats, but I seem to remember us always having trouble hitting this soft tosser.

He's a groundball pither he might do really well with some good range guys in the infield, I see him perhaps doing well as long as nothing is wrong with him physically, he pitches in the low 90s and upper 80s, he's not a fireballer but I also wouldn't call him a soft tosser, he's also left handed and thats a plus and he can get away with some lower velocities

I'd rather have someone that knows how to pitch than a fireballer anyway

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a groundball pither he might do really well with some good range guys in the infield, I see him perhaps doing well as long as nothing is wrong with him physically, he pitches in the low 90s and upper 80s, he's not a fireballer but I also wouldn't call him a soft tosser, he's also left handed and thats a plus and he can get away with some lower velocities

I'd rather have someone that knows how to pitch than a fireballer anyway

His ERA at "The Globe" is atrocious though. Assuming we are referring to Saunders...

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I just remembered him as a more crafty soft tosser than low 90's. Must have just been the way he pitched to the Rangers each time as they do struggle with that type it seems...or maybe its more the lefty thing they have struggled with...I dunno...once again im going off memory and not hard stats and my memory can be shaky at best sometimes :noidea:

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah just looked and he had one start against Texas in 2010 and it was at Texas posting a 1.29 ERA, but in 2013 he faced the Rangers 5 times posting an over all ERA of 6.23 and 6.35 in two starts at Texas...so just proof my memory was shaky on this one.