• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be nice.

Agreed. Perhaps Kouzmanoff could fill a role similar to what Baker did last year. The article I posted also mentions that Kouzmanoff was 10 for 20 off LHP in the minors last year. Could be a nice addition if Mitch struggles against lefites.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not trying to take anybody's side or upset anyone. But as a Data Analyst and have been for a long time I realize the role data plays and how it can tell a very good and accurate story and also how it can be manipulated in a way to prove a point. But as a player and life long baseball fan I also know that there are things that are common sense and things you learn by observation from watching or playing the game. That being said I do enjoy some of the analytics from time to time. But there are times I feel like I am at work and I would just rather have some good old fashioned banter about the game I love and with other Ranger fans.

That's cool that you are a data analyst, feel free to call me out on any mistakes I make if you even feel like reading any of my more technical posts. I actually appreciate good criticism. I'm a physicist myself but most of my experience with statistics was specialized for understanding how neural networks communicate with one another and statistical physics- not baseball. So, I could make mistakes, I made mistakes with the others as well.

Anyway, I can understand wanting to get away from all that when you do it all day. I typically don't get into these sort of things as far as baseball but I have the last few days- really just out of boredom. Usually observation and common sense is enough for me as well. It's true, stats can be misleading or even intentionally made to be misleading- there are political careers for people good at creating and selling misleading stats. Just sitting back and dicussing the fundamentals of the game is really enough me most of the time.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yangervis Solarte is 2-2 w/ a HR, 2 RBI, 2R.......for the Yankees.

yeah i saw that, guy had a few flashes with the bat the last 2 springs with the Rangers as well if I remember correctly. Never really saw much of him on defense to know what he brought defensively but what little I did see last year he seemed like a decent prospect. The Rangers have a few of those in the MIF

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard a little early today that all signs are good for Colby. He says he's feeling great and is ready for his next outing. JP was extremely complimentary of his command and thinks Lewis can pick up a lot more speed once he gets more comfortable and confident that his hip is going to maintain.

About time we got some good news on the physical front.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard a little early today that all signs are good for Colby. He says he's feeling great and is ready for his next outing. JP was extremely complimentary of his command and thinks Lewis can pick up a lot more speed once he gets more comfortable and confident that his hip is going to maintain.

That really is great news! If we can get Cobra back to even 80-90% where he was we will be in much better shape on the SP front.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That really is great news! If we can get Cobra back to even 80-90% where he was we will be in much better shape on the SP front.

Lewis said he feels better than he has in years, his speed is a little down (hitting 89-91) but felt this was just the beginning for him. Like I said, JP was really impressed and said this was close to the Colby of old.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, I will let you know what I figure out but I'm not sure when I will get around to it.

From the abstract of the paper you attached, it looks like there may be an idea or two for you to help you with your validation. Honestly, I don't have any good ideas for that off the top of my head. One reason that has been mentioned on here in the past is that it is rarer to to face a good lefty or maybe even a lefty at all when you are young and learning the game- simply because odds that you will face a lefty are smaller amongst larger populations. The only real thing I could think of is maybe take a look at how the % of lefties changes from maybe high-school to MLB levels. I'm not really sure where you could mine that data though. I think this method would potentially answer the how it happens question but might not really validate it. There are a ton of possible variables really.

Yep. I think we all 'know' the answer just difficult problem to analyze. Not much practical use either. Fact that LHP have an advantage over LH batters more so than RHP over RH batters is simply that between 12-18 LH hitters may go an entire season w/out facing a LHP at all.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hitting 87-89 in the intrasquad game.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

80% Colby won't get it done.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lewis said he feels better than he has in years, his speed is a little down (hitting 89-91) but felt this was just the beginning for him. Like I said, JP was really impressed and said this was close to the Colby of old.

Colby said he expects to be in the starting rotation to start the season, that'd be great if he is 100% and ready.
JPA also commented on Perez and raved about his stuff, think someone (Romeo, maybe) posted something a day or so ago where MiMad was talking about the cutter he's been working on with Martin. If the team can fair well with the softer schedule the first couple months, some guys really step-up and are successful early on and Derek can compete post AS break there could be a lot of depth on the pitching staff. Barring more bad breaks with injuries of course.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
80% Colby won't get it done.

:agree:......Colby always got by on being a bulldog, with good command/game plan and sticking to it.

IMO he's gotta be 90%+ or else it's not gonna work for him or us.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has nothing to do with much, but I was just on the ESPN/FB page and looking at the comments there, and Lord I'm so happy to be here!

Couldn't help myself, fired off a few shots and ran for the SportsHoopla as fast as I could.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby said he expects to be in the starting rotation to start the season, that'd be great if he is 100% and ready.
JPA also commented on Perez and raved about his stuff, think someone (Romeo, maybe) posted something a day or so ago where MiMad was talking about the cutter he's been working on with Martin. If the team can fair well with the softer schedule the first couple months, some guys really step-up and are successful early on and Derek can compete post AS break there could be a lot of depth on the pitching staff. Barring more bad breaks with injuries of course.

Yeah I read this as well, Perez has needed a fastball with movement for a while now and nice to see he's finally comfortable adding the cutter, his 4 seam is just too straight and he can't throw it by hitter at the ML level

Greg Maddux should be able to coach him up on this pretty well

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Perez will be in the #2 spot out of camp.

Course after Darvish (and Holland falling down stairs) ... Perez had the most GS in 2013. But given his finish in 2013 Holland would have had to fight Perez off for the #2 spot and no way was(is) Harrison getting it back yet either.