• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive line?

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT Nick Gates
LG Jerald Foster/Tanner Farmer
Center Utter/Thurston
RG Jalin Barnett/Dwayne Johnson
RT Christian Gaylord

I did terrible at this last year.

What about Zach Hannon?
Knevel just hasn't done much while he has been here. Can he really step in? Gates passed him last year.

Can John Raridon crack it? I think he redshirts.
Matt Farniok? I think he redshirts.
Boe Wilson? definitely redshirts.
Brian Brokop? redshirts.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT: Gates
LG: Foster/Barnett
C: Utter/Hannon/Decker
RG:Whitaker/Farmer
RT: Knevel

That's the depth chart per Riley at the start of spring. IMO Raridon has the best chance of playing as a freshman, but ideally we can redshirt them all.

Knevel has only been playing football for a couple years now. He was really raw coming in but if they can whip him into shape he will be a force.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any of the freshmen will come in and play, and that's not a bad thing. We should be improved on the OL this year

Oak has Hannon where Thurston should be, but otherwise should be a solid, young OL

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any of the freshmen will come in and play, and that's not a bad thing. We should be improved on the OL this year

Oak has Hannon where Thurston should be, but otherwise should be a solid, young OL
For spring ball...Thurston has class (which is kind of ridiculous).

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm assuming you read this article or one similar: Cavanaugh sees progress on line

Nebraska offensive line coach Mike Cavanaugh said he likes the start that his offensive line is off to through three spring practices.

“I think Nick (Gates) has made a pretty good transition to the left side,” Cavanaugh said. “At right guard, you have a lot of battles going on between Corey Whitaker, (Tanner) Farmer, left side is Foster and I thought (David) Knevel had a pretty good day today.”

There is plenty of opportunity on the offensive line this year with Nebraska losing three starters from a year ago. Last year’s starting guard, Dylan Utter, is now at center, and there is competition everywhere.

Cavanaugh ran through his thoughts on several Nebraska offensive linemen following Thursday’s practice.

Dylan Utter: “He’s a good football player, he’s intelligent, we trust him. he’s a tough guy. He’s going to work his tail off and get better and better, he’s going to be a good player.

David Knevel: “It’s going to mean a lot to you. I’m not saying it did if we didn’t, but the work ethic, I think he’s had a great offseason, I think he’s bought in. I like what I see, the technique transferring from the individual period to our team periods. We’re making strides as long as they keep buying in…he’s 6-foot-9, but he bends well. He plays with good leverage.”

Corey Whitaker: “He got better and better last year, and he was a guy last year that every drill we had, he was jumping in for reps on both sides. A year ago he was floundering. You go flounder fishing and get them in the boat and they’re flapping all around. He was on the ground a lot. It’s all about technique and posture.”

Tanner Farmer: “He’s got a chance to start, but that’s not up to me. It’s like that Missouri license plate — Show Me. Everyday they get a chance to show me. He’s moving better than he did a year ago. A year ago, he was thinking a lot and then, two, he’s moving like a different guy with the body he has.”

Jerald Foster: “Guys mature at different rates. I think the light finally goes off. That’s great. That’s what you want.”

Paul Thurston: “He was playing right guard Saturday. It’s going to be hard because he’s only here one day a week. We’ll fit him in and he’s going to get his reps, but he better be a fast learner. He played right guard and center Saturday.”

Cavanaugh said that the buy-in this spring has been good, particularly after Nebraska ended the year playing its best football in 2015. He said he has one big goal for his offensive line in 2016.

“I don’t think we did a good enough job of knocking people around last year, and that’s got to be the goal this year,” he said.
I really like what I hear from Cavanaugh. sure hope they are knocking some folks around this year.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QE="oaknightshockey1, post: 8102255, member: 1466"]Think Decker has the best shot at coming out as number 2 though.[/QUOTE]

You said number 2

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Thurston: “He was playing right guard Saturday. It’s going to be hard because he’s only here one day a week. We’ll fit him in and he’s going to get his reps, but he better be a fast learner. He played right guard and center Saturday.”
That is what makes me think Decker has a good chance at it.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm assuming you read this article or one similar: Cavanaugh sees progress on line

I really like what I hear from Cavanaugh. sure hope they are knocking some folks around this year.

I did not read that article. When did it come out? Looking at the time line it was last night as 11 PM or something. How can I read an article before it is posted?

I was just doing some unedumacated guessing on the O line for some reason, whilst doing my taxes.

Going to be an inexperienced line in 2016. Besides Gates, Utter, and Thurston I am not sure any of the other lineman have ever played in a game. This Hughes method of not playing the backups could bite him in the ass.

I do want to say, I do like the young talent on the offensive line. The 2014, 2015, and 2016 classes look good on paper for the O line.

There is a possibility that an O-line could be made up so that this line will be playing together for three years, minus Utter.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Hughes method of not playing the backups could bite him in the ass.
Let's be clear here. First of all, it's Cavanaugh, not Hughes. Second of all, the "Hughes method" is pretty widespread among OL coaches. Most teams roll with 5, maybe 6. That whole discussion is a product of having a full day of local radio with only 1 team to focus on.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be clear here. First of all, it's Cavanaugh, not Hughes. Second of all, the "Hughes method" is pretty widespread among OL coaches. Most teams roll with 5, maybe 6.

Ooops, you are right. Cavanaugh. Hughes was fired and he should have been.

I am old, I remember when Nebraska would rotate in the lineman to build the pipeline. I guess these new fangled methods are just too much for me.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ooops, you are right. Cavanaugh. Hughes was fired and he should have been.

I am old, I remember when Nebraska would rotate in the lineman to build the pipeline. I guess these new fangled methods are just too much for me.
1994 too recent?

From Brendan Stai:
"From playing the game and understanding the game, you learn there is definitely a certain chemistry and certain rhythm you get into collectively as an offensive line," he said. "When you substitute every other series, or two series, it disrupts that a little bit."

At the same time, "If the guys are used to subbing, then it becomes part of the process," Stai said. "I'm not saying either way is right or wrong, but I certainly believe in that chemistry and cohesiveness you build using five. You know what the guy next to you is doing and you get a better feel for what the defense is doing throughout the game rather than coming in and out and trying to warm that back up.

"The game moves fast. Throughout the game, the defense makes adjustments. When you're substituting every other series, I really don't think you can get used to tendencies except for what you've studied on film."

Steven M. Sipple: Bray brings praise; Pelini draws barbs

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT: Gates
LG: Foster/Barnett
C: Utter/Hannon/Decker
RG:Whitaker/Farmer
RT: Knevel

That's the depth chart per Riley at the start of spring. IMO Raridon has the best chance of playing as a freshman, but ideally we can redshirt them all.

Knevel has only been playing football for a couple years now. He was really raw coming in but if they can whip him into shape he will be a force.

I bow to Oaknights O Line knowledge.

He mostly nailed it. He had all their names and he had the names in the correct positions. He even assumed something was up with Thurston.

It looks like
LT Gates (So)
LG Foster (So)
Center Utter (Sr)/Decker (RFr)
RG Farmer (So)
LT Knevel (Jr)

If this O line can gel, then 2017 could be big. Two tough away games with Oregon and Penn State, but a manageable schedule in 2017.

Watching the game Knevel looks like a giant. I know he is tall, but he was even huge compared to Farmer. I was trying to point it out to my wife, but the only time she saw him was when Wilbon walked by him. I look like a giant next to Wilbon.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They looked really good at times today. Watched them pretty close in the early going. Gates and Foster absolutely manhandled whoever was lined up in front of them on a bunch of plays.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bow to Oaknights O Line knowledge.

He mostly nailed it. He had all their names and he had the names in the correct positions. He even assumed something was up with Thurston.

It looks like
LT Gates (So)
LG Foster (So)
Center Utter (Sr)/Decker (RFr)
RG Farmer (So)
LT Knevel (Jr)

If this O line can gel, then 2017 could be big. Two tough away games with Oregon and Penn State, but a manageable schedule in 2017.

Watching the game Knevel looks like a giant. I know he is tall, but he was even huge compared to Farmer. I was trying to point it out to my wife, but the only time she saw him was when Wilbon walked by him. I look like a giant next to Wilbon.
And that was before Farmer tore it up this spring...I would have nailed it had I been able to make the prediction last week :D

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that I am not a big O line guy. That analysis was given to me by someone who is so I can't claim to be a genius :pout: