• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Topic - Deflategate

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can prove the balls didn't meet requirements. That's all they have to prove to justify a fairly harsh sanction, IMO. Though there is considerable circumstantial evidence here - Brady's professed preference for deflated balls, the uniformity of the deflation of 11/12 balls, and the equipment guy's potty break. It wouldn't make a criminal case, but it doesn't have to.

They just reported that all footballs were deflated, but only one by 2 lbs psi. The others were 0.something to 1 lb underinflated.

I know this doesn't mean much but it was reported as if all 11 (minus the kicking ball) were 2 lbs under. They obviously started at the lowest allowed - it's just how it got lower - equipment guy, weather, gremlins, or whatnot.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ex-49ers WR Rice admits to using illegal stickum on gloves | CSN Bay Area

I'm sure if this gets into a big deal, he'll backtrack to saying he used it at the beginning of his career until he learned of it being illegal, or something. He didn't say when he used it.

He called for an asterisk to the Patriots' SB victory. I wonder if he'd be ok with an asterisk on ours? Difference is, the football goes to everyone, the glove was only on him. Again, when did he wear them and while just like the outcome didn't make deflategate ok, stickum wouldn't be absolved in an easy catch where non-stickum Rice would catch.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sure if this gets into a big deal, he'll backtrack to saying he used it at the beginning of his career until he learned of it being illegal, or something. He didn't say when he used it.

He called for an asterisk to the Patriots' SB victory. I wonder if he'd be ok with an asterisk on ours? Difference is, the football goes to everyone, the glove was only on him. Again, when did he wear them and while just like the outcome didn't make deflategate ok, stickum wouldn't be absolved in an easy catch where non-stickum Rice would catch.

Ran out of edit time...

Does it matter if the game would be won by the Patriots or us regardless? Does it matter that we don't know in either case. I'm pretty sure all SBs have someone cheating, does that matter? How do we apply that to regular season games? How about to amazing catches? I still think he was the best, but just asking general questions.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NFL outlawed "stick-em" in 81. Rice was drafted in 85. If Rice thinks the Patriots deserve asterisks, then I guess we only have 2 legit Lombardis (until proven otherwise), and his HOF career is built on a lie.

Couldn't be less proud of this organization today if I tried. Only thing worse would be if Joe Cool were accused of being a serial rapist.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ran out of edit time...

Does it matter if the game would be won by the Patriots or us regardless? Does it matter that we don't know in either case. I'm pretty sure all SBs have someone cheating, does that matter? How do we apply that to regular season games? How about to amazing catches? I still think he was the best, but just asking general questions.

I did until he admitted to being a cheater. And a fucking hypocrite. I'm all for putting an asterisk on his forehead on his bust in Canton.

What a dick.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colts and Ravens setup the Patriots?

Starting to look that way. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

BOSTON (CBS) - NFL football operations chief Troy Vincent confirmed in an interview with 60 Minutes Sports on Showtime that Colts general manager Ryan Grigson notified the league about a potential issue with the footballs in the AFC Championship game. Ironically enough, and contrary to the initial report, only one of the footballs was found to be two pounds per square inch under the required 12.5 PSI threshold, with the rest being “just a tick under” the limit. People can draw their own conclusions, but the Colts were only in possession of a Patriots football one time, and that came after a D’Qwell Jackson interception of Tom Brady midway through the second quarter. Is it possible the Colts may have leaked the football and handed it to the referees for investigation, while the other 11 balls naturally deflated from atmospheric conditions? It sure sounds that way, and Boomer Esiason wouldn’t be surprised given the nature of the NFL. “If you notice, Harbaugh never went after Bill Belichick and never said anything negative about him as a coach for the previous two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl. Next week the Patriots are playing the Colts, and their head coach is Chuck Pagano, who was once defensive coordinator under John Harbaugh and the Ravens. They’re all close and they’re all tight,” explained Esiason.“This is what I believe happened: they all wanted to embarrass Tom Brady, and they wanted to put him on the spit if you will. They wanted to make him answer questions about said rule book.”

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colts and Ravens setup the Patriots?

Starting to look that way. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

BOSTON (CBS) - NFL football operations chief Troy Vincent confirmed in an interview with 60 Minutes Sports on Showtime that Colts general manager Ryan Grigson notified the league about a potential issue with the footballs in the AFC Championship game. Ironically enough, and contrary to the initial report, only one of the footballs was found to be two pounds per square inch under the required 12.5 PSI threshold, with the rest being “just a tick under” the limit. People can draw their own conclusions, but the Colts were only in possession of a Patriots football one time, and that came after a D’Qwell Jackson interception of Tom Brady midway through the second quarter. Is it possible the Colts may have leaked the football and handed it to the referees for investigation, while the other 11 balls naturally deflated from atmospheric conditions? It sure sounds that way, and Boomer Esiason wouldn’t be surprised given the nature of the NFL. “If you notice, Harbaugh never went after Bill Belichick and never said anything negative about him as a coach for the previous two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl. Next week the Patriots are playing the Colts, and their head coach is Chuck Pagano, who was once defensive coordinator under John Harbaugh and the Ravens. They’re all close and they’re all tight,” explained Esiason.“This is what I believe happened: they all wanted to embarrass Tom Brady, and they wanted to put him on the spit if you will. They wanted to make him answer questions about said rule book.”

It was confirmed that only one ball was 2 pounds under and the rest were all under a little bit. Some of them were less than a pound under. This is what upsets me about leaks. If you're going to leak, leak the whole details. I think that they, intentionally for scandal, leaked the two pounder and made it sound like all of them were 2 pounds under. They got away with this because all of them were under, but this would've happened if you had made them at the minimum and then the atmospheric conditions lowered it a tick under. The two pounder, I don't know.

As far as Jackson taking it back to the sideline, I thought I read a report confirming that. But I don't know who he handed the ball to, whether that was to a official football handler or to a Colts member.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was confirmed that only one ball was 2 pounds under and the rest were all under a little bit. Some of them were less than a pound under. This is what upsets me about leaks. If you're going to leak, leak the whole details. I think that they, intentionally for scandal, leaked the two pounder and made it sound like all of them were 2 pounds under. They got away with this because all of them were under, but this would've happened if you had made them at the minimum and then the atmospheric conditions lowered it a tick under. The two pounder, I don't know.

As far as Jackson taking it back to the sideline, I thought I read a report confirming that. But I don't know who he handed the ball to, whether that was to a official football handler or to a Colts member.

Mike Kensil, former Jets executive, may have sparked Deflategate investigation | Larry Brown Sports

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In my opinion the deflate gate issue is way overblown (excuse the unintentional pun). My feeling is, why not let the teams inflate their footballs to their choosing? Who cares?

Let me ask you, would you rather see more offense because the balls are under inflated or more offense in the form of yellow flags because hitting is off limits?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are you paying attention to the rest of the news?
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...l-for-selling-deflategate-football/ar-BBhJ23p
League official now in the hot-seat? You talked a lot of shit - come back now....

what does this have to do with New England breaking an NFL rule during games? Are you trying to deflect from New England by interjecting a different matter? weren't there 11 under inflated balls?

btw - I talked a lot of chit, or New England created their own chit?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
what does this have to do with New England breaking an NFL rule during games? Are you trying to deflect from New England by interjecting a different matter? weren't there 11 under inflated balls?

It looks like that was a mistaken report, or at least the extent of the underinflation was exaggerated. There have been a lot of conflicting reports swirling on this one, but it looks like only one ball was the reported two pounds under, and the rest were slightly under (which would likely happen if they were at or near the limit and were exposed to the cold).

That said, I don't think this report on the official has anything to do with Deflategate. He was dealing with a K ball, which is a completely different batch of balls than the ones that were found to be out of compliance. It's just further confirmation that the NFL's procedure with balls is screwy.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's that saying again..."If you're not cheating you're not trying."
While it does suck that everything is not noble and honest their is so much truth in the statement when it comes to sports. If you're not constantly trying to find ways to bend the rules or alter the system to your advantage then you're probably not winning much because your opponents are. The teams that do it the best increase their odds of winning.

Is it right? No
but in competition it's just the way it is. Is it right when the brown noser gets the promotion over a much more qualified harder worker? No but the brown noser found a way to cheat the system and take that spot. It's like card counters in Vegas have a clear advantage at a table over players that don't. I'm just saying it's not even just sports. We're all constantly finding ways to get ahead of whatever obstacles are in our way to improve our positions.

I blame the Patriots less for attempting to do this than I blame the NFL for letting it happen. I'm sure the rules on this will get tightened up now, but a better job from the officials and better rules to begin with would have prevented this from happening in the first place. Then again it doesn't really matter as if not this it would just be something else.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's that saying again..."If you're not cheating you're not trying."
While it does suck that everything is not noble and honest their is so much truth in the statement when it comes to sports. If you're not constantly trying to find ways to bend the rules or alter the system to your advantage then you're probably not winning much because your opponents are. The teams that do it the best increase their odds of winning.

Is it right? No
but in competition it's just the way it is. Is it right when the brown noser gets the promotion over a much more qualified harder worker? No but the brown noser found a way to cheat the system and take that spot. It's like card counters in Vegas have a clear advantage at a table over players that don't. I'm just saying it's not even just sports. We're all constantly finding ways to get ahead of whatever obstacles are in our way to improve our positions.

I blame the Patriots less for attempting to do this than I blame the NFL for letting it happen. I'm sure the rules on this will get tightened up now, but a better job from the officials and better rules to begin with would have prevented this from happening in the first place. Then again it doesn't really matter as if not this it would just be something else.
...don't forget your idol (Rice) using stick'em on his gloves,........and cheating can be done by owners also (fast-eddy debartolo)..........posters should really think twice before hitting the submit/button......?!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
...don't forget your idol (Rice) using stick'em on his gloves,........and cheating can be done by owners also (fast-eddy debartolo)..........posters should really think twice before hitting the submit/button......?!

I am against ALL cheating, so if there were NFL rules in place about stick'em, then Rice cheated too. So I'm fine hitting the submit/button, on both the Patriot organization and Rice if he's guilty.

How did Eddie cheat? at the time there was no cap, so what was it specifically? Was his gambling issue breaking an NFL rule?

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am against ALL cheating, so if there were NFL rules in place about stick'em, then Rice cheated too. So I'm fine hitting the submit/button, on both the Patriot organization and Rice if he's guilty.

How did Eddie cheat? at the time there was no cap, so what was it specifically? Was his gambling issue breaking an NFL rule?
....you tell me,.......you're a 49r's fan right,.....eddy was suspended for a year,....I can go wiki it again and re-read what he did if you want,.....whatever he did he was forced to relinquish his ownership over to his sister.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
....you tell me,.......you're a 49r's fan right,.....eddy was suspended for a year,....I can go wiki it again and re-read what he did if you want,.....whatever he did he was forced to relinquish his ownership over to his sister.

so you don't even know but you accuse.......maybe its you who need to think twice.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you don't even know but you accuse.......maybe its you who need to think twice.
.....hey,...............GFYS....!,.......fast-eddy was suspended for one year by the NFL for his involvement in bribes and kickbacks involving a new Orleans business man,.......go wiki it.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A: You talked a lot of shit.

New England did not cheat. I'm not deflecting. Show me some evidence of wrong-doing. There isn't any.
Show me some wrong-doing - that the Pats cheated.
Show me some wrong-doing that the Colts did,
Show me some wrong-doing that the Ravens did,
There is plenty of evidence that the league screwed up.
There is no evidence that the Patriots cheated.
Why are you hating on the Patriots? Never mind, I know the answer.....

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/curran-strong-nfl-link-recent-deflategate-leak

I call this "putting the blame where it is due"