• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Topic - Deflategate

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some teams "cook the books". Other teams "cook the balls" . Obviously if you want to clean this up all you need to do is have the officials check the balls for constant pressure and temperature. Or institute ball check in as they do at 1.5 hrs before game time and recheck at 15 min. To game time to make sure ball pressure has not changed much like how baseball umpires toss out scuffed balls/damaged balls in baseball. Looks like trusting teams to manage their balls is not an option.

I agree

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some teams "cook the books". Other teams "cook the balls" . Obviously if you want to clean this up all you need to do is have the officials check the balls for constant pressure and temperature. Or institute ball check in as they do at 1.5 hrs before game time and recheck at 15 min. To game time to make sure ball pressure has not changed much like how baseball umpires toss out scuffed balls/damaged balls in baseball. Looks like trusting teams to manage their balls is not an option.

LOL, I can picture it now. A compressor and air pressure gauge on the sideline like gas station. I think this whole thing has gotten out of hand. I guess there is little else to talk about this week

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One point here is that the 9ers have been accused of flooding the 'Stick with water to gain an edge. Not the case now with the shit stadium they built but hard to prove isn't it?

yes it would be, but there is no NFL rule in place about Candlestick.

there are rules for footballs.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you checked every player , every official, every coach, every ball, every damn owner there whould be no room for the game. I saw a official pick up a ball and toss it out right when NE was coming to the line and you could see him squeeze the ball. It looked like he thought it was a little low on air. The officials need to be responsible for the balls and make sure they are all inflated properly .

No more drama...please. Let's play some ball.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you checked every player , every official, every coach, every ball, every damn owner there whould be no room for the game. I saw a official pick up a ball and toss it out right when NE was coming to the line and you could see him squeeze the ball. It looked like he thought it was a little low on air. The officials need to be responsible for the balls and make sure they are all inflated properly .

No more drama...please. Let's play some ball.

Thanks

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sure where they keep the balls but if they are kept on the sidelines at outside temperature vs. inside pre-game room temperature and filled initially by the teams at room temperature or more then there is room to cleverly manipulate ball pressure if one knows the likely ball procedures during the pregame to game phase if there is a difference between inside room temperature and outside game ambient temperatures. Obviously less of a problem in dome controlled enviroments where room temperature inside is rather constant. Looks like NFL needs to monitor balls for not only PSI but also for ball air temperature as air temp can affect pressure by -3-5% per10deg.F . So if the officials measured the balls pregame inside at 72deg then took balls outside at 50 deg or lower then pressure could change by 10% or more to Brady's desired feel just by letting mother nature take its course. Balls need to be inflated at game temperature PSI conditions and monitored periodically I suppose. I suppose it is possible The Pats are technically not cheating but rather clever in that they know the proceedures of ball inflation/ checking inflation and how to cleverly manipulate ball pressure under such rules and conditions of temperature and targeted PSI. Are they stupid ...uhhh no...did they get to their target PSI...uhhh yes it seems so...did they do this purposely..uhhh yes they are cleverly manipulating the situation. Did they "cheat? Ugh no...they manipulated the current rules to their benefit. JMHO. And yes there needs to be changes along the lines previously mentioned..more monitoring and constant ball PSI constant temperature checking especially in non dome stadiums.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL, I can picture it now. A compressor and air pressure gauge on the sideline like gas station. I think this whole thing has gotten out of hand. I guess there is little else to talk about this week

Yeah not a lot to do now that we are between seasons...I.m just bored and am not a "ballologist" . I used to rough up footballs and tighten the seams up to get then to stand higher on both baseballs and footballs to get them to my comfort levels so I can understand why players would want to do the same. More of a feel thing than substance though IMHO. Got to feel comfortable with the ball you are throwing ya know.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm an old fart now (58) so its not something I do now....in baseball you never throw a new ball cuz it drifts more and can't manipulate movement as much although new "snow whites" tend to rise and drift more on their own... With footballs the NFL uses they are "tighter" than college balls and are very easy to throw comparatively speaking. Just need seams to be tight and raised to keep spiral tight. I guess deflate also helps to have "sponge" effect when throwing and catching. I really think it helps receivers more than the QBs but since success is judged by completions what helps receivers help the QBs.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yes it would be, but there is no NFL rule in place about Candlestick.

there are rules for footballs.

Yes there are rules and they can be manipulated it would seem..So I see a rule change to control ball conditions and who controls the balls coming in the future..and if its anything like the officiating at games we'll have more to bit h about in thee future:) As for candlestick..it is/was an obomination in many regards...flooding/drainage....swirling wind...neighborhood...parking...transportation..locker rooms..age of the place...vendors...so we did need to move. Would have rather stayed in SF proper but understood need to move to new location to yuppie ville/silicon valley. :suds:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes there are rules and they can be manipulated it would seem..So I see a rule change to control ball conditions and who controls the balls coming in the future..and if its anything like the officiating at games we'll have more to bit h about in thee future:) As for candlestick..it is/was an obomination in many regards...flooding/drainage....swirling wind...neighborhood...parking...transportation..locker rooms..age of the place...vendors...so we did need to move. Would have rather stayed in SF proper but understood need to move to new location to yuppie ville/silicon valley. :suds:

ok, if they change the rules on footballs, fine too. But this is for future competition, not the past.

right now there might be a rules violation and if proven, punishment must be issued. IMO that punishment should be at least what the Saints got over bounty gate.

Last edited by a moderator:

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The best solution is just to have the officials be in control of the balls at all times. Inflate them all to the same range, rough them up all the same way. I think that's the way the league will have to go after this. Pitchers in baseball don't get to rough up their own balls. QBs will adjust.

Re: the cooling theory, my understanding was that the balls are typically kept in a warm container when not in play. Is that not correct?

Agreed:suds:

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ok, if they change the rules on footballs, fine too. But this is for future competition, not the past.

right now there might be a rules violation and if proven, punishment must be issued. IMO that punishment should be at least what the Saints got over bounty gate.

Punish the Pats? All in on that!! Draft picks are the way to go..and maybe a suspension or two? :suds:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure where they keep the balls but if they are kept on the sidelines at outside temperature vs. inside pre-game room temperature and filled initially by the teams at room temperature or more then there is room to cleverly manipulate ball pressure if one knows the likely ball procedures during the pregame to game phase if there is a difference between inside room temperature and outside game ambient temperatures. Obviously less of a problem in dome controlled enviroments where room temperature inside is rather constant. Looks like NFL needs to monitor balls for not only PSI but also for ball air temperature as air temp can affect pressure by -3-5% per10deg.F . So if the officials measured the balls pregame inside at 72deg then took balls outside at 50 deg or lower then pressure could change by 10% or more to Brady's desired feel just by letting mother nature take its course. Balls need to be inflated at game temperature PSI conditions and monitored periodically I suppose. I suppose it is possible The Pats are technically not cheating but rather clever in that they know the proceedures of ball inflation/ checking inflation and how to cleverly manipulate ball pressure under such rules and conditions of temperature and targeted PSI. Are they stupid ...uhhh no...did they get to their target PSI...uhhh yes it seems so...did they do this purposely..uhhh yes they are cleverly manipulating the situation. Did they "cheat? Ugh no...they manipulated the current rules to their benefit. JMHO. And yes there needs to be changes along the lines previously mentioned..more monitoring and constant ball PSI constant temperature checking especially in non dome stadiums.

I don't really care about punctuation or spelling, but could you use paragraphs for long posts? Not a criticism or an attack on your intelligence, it's just easier to read and follow, I think, for everybody. Thanks.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Punish the Pats?! All in on that!! Take away picks and suspension of One or two pepo.They fine players for all the time for questionable stuff why not this? And it's the Pats too!! Twice the reason to do it as they are 2nd offenders:gaah::whistle:

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't really care about punctuation or spelling, but could you use paragraphs for long posts? Not a criticism or an attack on your intelligence, it's just easier to read and follow, I think, for everybody. Thanks.

It's the old iPad I use as regular computer is in the shop. It is a touch screen that sometimes corrects spelling incorrectly. Also, it is limited in terms of spacing.....but I ll try to comply with your requests:yahoo:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the old iPad I use as regular computer is in the shop. It is a touch screen that sometimes corrects spelling incorrectly. Also, it is limited in terms of spacing.....but I ll try to comply with your requests:yahoo:

It's ok, I didn't know how to ask. I like reading your posts, it's just sometimes harder... maybe I should stick to working. ;)

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it was the colts that did it. LOL