• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Topic - Deflategate

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything its a disadvantage to Brady then. That is what Im getting from your post. U can't throw the ball as far from a flat ball(or less air) and its less accurate. So the Pats tried to lose the game thats what u are saying. How does this have any affect on Luck then. I think u are confused. What u are saying makes no sense. Im sorry. either way I don't care. Its not a big deal.

All I care about is Pats beating Seattle.

Actually you are incorrect. A football that has less air per psi is easier to grip thus increases accuracy. It's also easier for the receivers to catch the football during inclement weather. So it was an advantage to Brady and his receivers. I think you are the one who is confused much like both teams using the same foootballs. :L Did it affect the outcome of the game? No, because the Colts were dominated in all phases of the game. The main point being discussed is the fact that the Patriots broke the rule and there should be consequences. If you don't care, that is you prerogative.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Database Error

Trying the link again. Over the past five years, NE's fumble numbers are ridiculously low. One fumble per 187 offensive touches. League average is just over 100, and the next closest team is at 130. Their ability to hold onto the ball is basically a statistical impossibility.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=2932

Trying this to see if it will work. Sorry, I seem to have lost the ability to edit posts. You may have to add in the www.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Update: it's in the article, but I wanted to clarify that those are lost fumbles. In terms of all fumbles, Pats are still absurdly high. See the "Update" section in the same article. They're not as high relatively, but they are among the top teams, all of whom play in domed stadiums, thus removing the weather as a factor.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would bet the Pats have been deflating balls for most of Brady's career.

yep, this question is certainly raised and most would guess quite a few games? BUT, if this is true, then wouldn't this have been exposed prior?

if Baltimore supposedly tipped off the Colts, why didn't THEY report it to the NFL after their game?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Database Error

Trying the link again. Over the past five years, NE's fumble numbers are ridiculously low. One fumble per 187 offensive touches. League average is just over 100, and the next closest team is at 130. Their ability to hold onto the ball is basically a statistical impossibility.

good point...........it helps reduce fumbling, too easy to just focus on Brady. so all the offensive skill players have been cheating too, including the Center?

what about the punter and kicker, I'd think this would hinder them? Is that the reason for the 12th ball being legal?

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
good point...........it helps reduce fumbling, too easy to just focus on Brady. so all the offensive skill players have been cheating too, including the Center?

what about the punter and kicker, I'd think this would hinder them? Is that the reason for the 12th ball being legal?

They have completely different balls for the kicking game.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yep, this question is certainly raised and most would guess quite a few games? BUT, if this is true, then wouldn't this have been exposed prior?

if Baltimore supposedly tipped off the Colts, why didn't THEY report it to the NFL after their game?

The NFL checked the balls at halftime and replaced them, so they knew something was up either before or early on in the game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The NFL checked the balls at halftime and replaced them, so they knew something was up either before or early on in the game.

halftime at the Ravens - Patriots game?

my question was why didn't the Ravens report it to the NFL?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No, halftime of Colts-Pats. I don't know why the Ravens didn't report it during the game. I suppose it's possible they did. Or perhaps after the funny business (but legal) ineligible receiver stuff the Pats pulled, and Brady's condescending remarks, they figured they'd point out something that's been going on for awhile.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colts did tell the NFL about flat balls when they played back in November.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didnt affect Luck on O. Also a deflated ball actually can be thrown further. I learned that from watching ESPN/NFL Network the last few days. If you try to say no ex NFL QBs say other wise. Also a deflated football is easier to grip, pass, catch and its harder to fumble. The Pats didnt have to cheat to win but they did. I am still rooting for them to beat the Hawks cuz I hate Sherman more but that doesnt change the fact they are cheaters.

Im not saying they didn't cheat. Im just saying its not a big deal. if any thing is a disadvantage for them. its a scientific fact that a Flat ball cant be thrown as far and is less accurate. I agree with you that percentages go down with fumbling the ball. Catching the ball I don't know. Now some Qbs might like less air.

Again I blame the NFL more then anything. Fine them or take away a pick and move onto the superbowl.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well lets hope the NFL fixes this issue.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Troy Aikman: Patriots punishment should exceed Saints bounty punishment | ProFootballTalk

agree with Aikman, the punishment for New England should exceed that of the Saints. His reason makes sense..........New England gained competitive advantage by breaking the rules. the Saints didn't break the rules.

Then there is the question of previous transgressions?

heck, strip them of two 1st rounders.

Wow, extremely hateful and just plain absurd. Why don't we just shoot Tom and Bill in the back of the head and piss on them? How far should we take this, sir?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It's sort of, the energy is sort of sucked out of you," Luck said. "You do feel deflated."

It took Luck a moment to realize what he said and a look of regret washed over his face. He closed his eyes and struggled to find words to recover. He was then asked about the Patriots using under-inflated balls but said he didn't notice anything about New England's footballs because Indianapolis used its own.

Andrew Luck, Tony Romo selected early in 2015 Pro Bowl draft - ESPN

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow, extremely hateful and just plain absurd. Why don't we just shoot Tom and Bill in the back of the head and piss on them? How far should we take this, sir?

Not sure if this is sarcastic or serious. If the last punishment for cheating wasn't enough to make the conduct stop, then this punishment has to be more severe. I'd suspend Belichick for a year. It's the only way he's going to stop. Reducing his team's fumbling by 50% is more important to him than a late-first round pick.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this is sarcastic or serious. If the last punishment for cheating wasn't enough to make the conduct stop, then this punishment has to be more severe. I'd suspend Belichick for a year. It's the only way he's going to stop. Reducing his team's fumbling by 50% is more important to him than a late-first round pick.

I'm thinking R.D. is serious in his post. How does one prove that a player or coach had any knowledge about this? IMO this is really a non-issue. This would be more of a story if had been vs the Ravens. Even if this plays out to be true the Pats still get to the SB. Cheaters win!