• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Workouts

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
one area where our offense (not just Kaep) needs to figure out is 3rd downs?

3. Third-Down Passing

Despite adding another dimension to the offense, Kaepernick struggled on his third-down passing, completing just 52.5 percent of his attempts throughout the regular season. As a team, the 49ers had a 36.6 percent conversion rate on third down, placing them 22nd overall.

As a result of their shortcomings on third downs, San Francisco had to settle for field goals too often. Hopefully the 49ers won't have to rely on the leg of Phil Dawson as much as they did with David Akers.

Losing a sure-handed receiver like Michael Crabtree could potentially make this area difficult to overcome. However, giving Kaepernick another year to learn the offense combined with the addition of a veteran like Anquan Boldin should offset his loss to some degree.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one area where our offense (not just Kaep) needs to figure out is 3rd downs?

3. Third-Down Passing

Despite adding another dimension to the offense, Kaepernick struggled on his third-down passing, completing just 52.5 percent of his attempts throughout the regular season. As a team, the 49ers had a 36.6 percent conversion rate on third down, placing them 22nd overall.

As a result of their shortcomings on third downs, San Francisco had to settle for field goals too often. Hopefully the 49ers won't have to rely on the leg of Phil Dawson as much as they did with David Akers.

Losing a sure-handed receiver like Michael Crabtree could potentially make this area difficult to overcome. However, giving Kaepernick another year to learn the offense combined with the addition of a veteran like Anquan Boldin should offset his loss to some degree.

3rd downs have been a bug-a-boo for us the last 2 years. Be it trying to be too cute on early downs, bad execution on early downs or bad execution on 3rd down. There have been alot of issues with 3rd downs that I hope Harbaugh/Roman have worked on and hope Kap works on in TC & Preseason

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we've heard that before. Let's see him do it on the field. It would be great if he could step up, though. His testing numbers were actually pretty similar to Torrey Smith's. He and Boldin could complement one another nicely if he can figure it out.

This

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Coach's Notebook: June 11

Can you share the progress of DL Lawrence Okoye?
“It’s been good. It’s been steady. Now you’re talking about somebody really doing things for the first time. Everything he’s doing is for the very first time, as it relates to football. So, it’s a very interesting case study on how someone learns the game of football. And no question, it’s a process. But, you just kind of wonder what the jump would be from year one to year two for him. And I hope that he continues to show up, listen, work extremely hard, and show enough that we’ll be able to go from year one to year two.”

Has he picked your brain at all?
“Has he picked my brain?”

Or have you offered him advice?
“[Defensive line coach] Jim Tomsula and the defensive staff are the ones that are coaching him. We’ve had some conversations, yes.”

Does it seem like he has that passion for football? Does he love it?
“Yes. He seems to.”

Was there any debate when you guys were thinking about bringing him in about whether he should be an offensive lineman, or a defensive lineman? Did you guys have a discussion on that?
“No, we pretty quickly moved him to defensive lineman and let him start learning the game there. But, he does have an offensive lineman body. I think that’s probably enough ground covered there on Lawrence.

I’ve got something a little different.
“OK. Thank you.”

Ha! That's great. The part in bold is the ONLY reason why I'm highlighting this. Nothing to do with his progress.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You said you knew the whereabouts of everyone, is there someone who’s not here?
“Yeah, there are a couple guys who aren’t here.”

Can you share that with us?
“No, no need. We’re good.”

That's a pretty good exchange there, too. Love it. Reminiscent of Bill Parcells, my favorite HC of all-time.