• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Workouts

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
images

I won't quit! Well, maybe I will. No, I never quit. Umm, sometimes I do. It depends!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hadn't seen this before. Great to hear:

Asomugha, a 10-year veteran, has already turned some heads with his willingness to spend time after practices during the 49ers' offseason program with younger cornerbacks, such as Tramaine Brock and Perrish Cox.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Colin Kaepernick - QB - 49ers

Colin Kaepernick spent two weeks in April training with track athletes.

Kaepernick believes he can "get faster and more efficient with his stride." He was certainly fast enough last year, averaging 6.6 yards per regular-season rush and ripping off a 25/264/3 line in three playoff games. With a full offseason under his belt as the starter and Anquan Boldin in the mix, Kaep is primed to go off. A top-three fantasy finish among quarterbacks should surprise no one.
Source: Sacramento Bee

May 14 - 8:54 AM

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL mailbag - Rookie minicamp first impressions - ESPN

Q: Is there some kind of practice-squad exception for foreign players so someone like Lawrence Okoye has the chance to be developed and protected by the 49ers, but not take up a spot on the eight-man practice squad?

Greg in Portland, Ore.

A: There is no practice-squad exception for foreign players. Teams have an eight-player max to their practice squad. They can use the spots however they want. The early word out of San Francisco, though, is that Okoye might have enough pure talent for the 49ers to consider him for the active roster. There is such a good buzz about him that another team might claim him off waivers if the 49ers try to get him to the practice squad. Okoye is a great story so far.

I'd be stunned if he developed fast enough to warrant sticking on the 53.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
NFL mailbag - Rookie minicamp first impressions - ESPN

Q: Is there some kind of practice-squad exception for foreign players so someone like Lawrence Okoye has the chance to be developed and protected by the 49ers, but not take up a spot on the eight-man practice squad?

Greg in Portland, Ore.

A: There is no practice-squad exception for foreign players. Teams have an eight-player max to their practice squad. They can use the spots however they want. The early word out of San Francisco, though, is that Okoye might have enough pure talent for the 49ers to consider him for the active roster. There is such a good buzz about him that another team might claim him off waivers if the 49ers try to get him to the practice squad. Okoye is a great story so far.

I'd be stunned if he developed fast enough to warrant sticking on the 53.

I mentioned this in a thread last week, the only way I can see him being on the 53 is if there is a legitimate concern he could get picked up elsewhere. In that case we put him on the 53 and leave him inactive on gameday (a la Jenkins, Williams etc last year).

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I had forgotten that a team could claim him off waivers and he wouldn't be able to decline as he would once he is actually on the PS. Still, if we cut him during one of the mass-cut timeframes, it seems somewhat unlikely another team would pick him up.

I thought there was a foreign player exception a couple years ago, though. At least on the PS. Didn't the Niners have a guy from Mexico for a year or two? Chris? This seems like a question for you.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I had forgotten that a team could claim him off waivers and he wouldn't be able to decline as he would once he is actually on the PS. Still, if we cut him during one of the mass-cut timeframes, it seems somewhat unlikely another team would pick him up.

I thought there was a foreign player exception a couple years ago, though. At least on the PS. Didn't the Niners have a guy from Mexico for a year or two? Chris? This seems like a question for you.

Are you thinking of the International Practice Squad Program? If so, that started in 2004 and expanded in 2008 to where 16 teams were awarded a random player from an international country (Mexico, Kingdom, France, Germany, Finland, Sweden, Japan, and Russia). However, that program was not renewed for the 2009 season and since then I have not seen any talks of bringing it back.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Are you thinking of the International Practice Squad Program? If so, that started in 2004 and expanded in 2008 to where 16 teams were awarded a random player from an international country (Mexico, Kingdom, France, Germany, Finland, Sweden, Japan, and Russia). However, that program was not renewed for the 2009 season and since then I have not seen any talks of bringing it back.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin Kaepernick - QB - 49ers

Colin Kaepernick spent two weeks in April training with track athletes.

Kaepernick believes he can "get faster and more efficient with his stride." He was certainly fast enough last year, averaging 6.6 yards per regular-season rush and ripping off a 25/264/3 line in three playoff games. With a full offseason under his belt as the starter and Anquan Boldin in the mix, Kaep is primed to go off. A top-three fantasy finish among quarterbacks should surprise no one.
Source: Sacramento Bee

May 14 - 8:54 AM

is he gonna try to hit 2500 before AP?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One thing from my last post a couple hours ago. Obviously by "Kingdom" I meant United Kingdom.