• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Workouts

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From Barrows' twitter:

RT @caplannfl: WR Ronald Johnson caught my eye with route running, improved hands. We'll see what happens when the pads go on.

Anyone have any idea what he's talking about? Presumably some other player who is actually on the team?

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Barrows' twitter:

RT @caplannfl: WR Ronald Johnson caught my eye with route running, improved hands. We'll see what happens when the pads go on.

Anyone have any idea what he's talking about? Presumably some other player who is actually on the team?

Yeah isn't he an Eagle?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Barrows' twitter:

Maybe he meant Williams, I look at them as guys projected for the same role.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Barrows' twitter:

caplannfl is Adam Caplan who is based in Philly and the Ronald Johnson he is referring to is #80 Ronald Johnson of the Eagles

Ronald Johnson Player Profile

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, so that was just Barrows posting Caplan's tweet? I'm not very up on the nuances of twitter. Makes a lot more sense.

Yeah, exactly. I think Caplan is national and is fairly well followed so i'm guessing Barrows just re-tweets his stuff. However, since Barrows is local, re-tweeting a local story from another market is confusing.

Whenever you see "RT" that means Re-Tweet, thus:

means Barrows is Re-Tweeting from @caplannfl

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. Maybe that's what Crabby needs. Maybe he just needs someone to set the bar really high for him. I actually like this tactic. Good hands have very little to do with your hands. It's 95% mental.

I'm all for motivating players - but my god, if you have a player who needs to be outright lied to in order to bring about his best play then dump his ass. I can only imagine what lies Crabtree's wife is going to need to tell him.

As for the hands comment, actually, "good hands" have everything to do with a receivers receiving technique or "hands" and little to nothing at all to do with concentration.

Too many novice fans see dropped passes and automatically blame the hands. I would say the majority of dropped passes are the result of bad concentration or bad positioning as opposed to bad hands.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
As for the hands comment, actually, "good hands" have everything to do with a receivers receiving technique or "hands" and little to nothing at all to do with concentration.

Too many novice fans see dropped passes and automatically blame the hands. I would say the majority of dropped passes are the result of bad concentration or bad positioning as opposed to bad hands.

I'm confused. The two bold statemnets seem to contradict each other.

Having big, strong hands helps a little in catching the ball, but it's mostly about coordination IMO.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused. The two bold statements seem to contradict each other.

Having big, strong hands helps a little in catching the ball, but it's mostly about coordination IMO.

I guess to say it as simply as possible. Ginn's dropped pass vs. the NYG was pure concentration. His hands were in textbook position to receive the football, but he simply started to run before he caught it.

Passes are caught with speed, strength, coordination, concentration and hands. The minimum required to make any catch is two: hands & concentration. The maximum is all five. This is why Fitz is so dangerous. Fitz excels at all five attributes and will often use all five to make catches.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alex Smith says Randy Moss, new San Francisco 49ers WRs like 'Christmas' - ESPN

"This is the honest truth: I could absolutely care less on yards per game," Smith said. "I think that is a totally overblown stat because if you're losing games in the second half, guess what? You're like the Carolina Panthers and you're going no-huddle the entire second half and, yeah, Cam Newton threw for a lot of 300-yard games. That's great. You're not winning, though."

Smith has been more vocal in just about every area the last year or so than he was in the past but I was a little surprised he NAMED actual names in this spot. My opinions on Newton differ in many areas compared to the herd when talking about him overall but I might argue that the gap in his numbers in the 4th quarter compared to those in quarters 1-3 isn't nearly as much as I would have guessed. I won't get into it too much because I haven't done a breakdown of other QBs who also had to come from behind in the 4th in a number of games but I was a little surprised when I looked at the simple number breakdown by quarter with him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm all for motivating players - but my god, if you have a player who needs to be outright lied to in order to bring about his best play then dump his ass. I can only imagine what lies Crabtree's wife is going to need to tell him.

I tend to agree with the distinction you're drawing here. Interestingly, this distinction would tend to support Harbaugh's claim in Crabtree's case. There's no doubt that Crabtree has good hands. It's his focus that seems to be lacking on his drops.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with the distinction you're drawing here. Interestingly, this distinction would tend to support Harbaugh's claim in Crabtree's case. There's no doubt that Crabtree has good hands. It's his focus that seems to be lacking on his drops.

Well, I wouldn't say it supports Harbaugh's claim about Crabtree - Keep in mind Harbaugh's claim is that Crabtree has the best hands he has ever seen. I would say there are precisely zero people in this entire galaxy who would believe that, including both Harbaugh and Crabtree.

I think all receivers in the NFL have at least "good hands" or they wouldn't be in the NFL. That said, I believe Crabtree has excellent hands for some catches and less than excellent for others.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Some of the best hands I've ever seen:

Jerry Rice
Randy Moss
Chris Carter
JJ Stokes
(yes, he had amazing hands)
Tony Gonzales
Steve Smith
Ed Mcaffery

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the best hands I've ever seen:

Jerry Rice
Randy Moss
Chris Carter
JJ Stokes
(yes, he had amazing hands)
Tony Gonzales
Steve Smith
Ed Mcaffery

AJ Green has some of the best hands I've ever seen. Jerry Rice had amazing hands. I can't believe Larry Fitzgerald only had 1 drop last year.