• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Workouts

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the best hands I've ever seen:

Jerry Rice
Randy Moss
Chris Carter
JJ Stokes
(yes, he had amazing hands)
Tony Gonzales
Steve Smith
Ed Mcaffery

I'll add Alworth, Largent and Clark among many others long since forgotten

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, I wouldn't say it supports Harbaugh's claim about Crabtree - Keep in mind Harbaugh's claim is that Crabtree has the best hands he has ever seen. I would say there are precisely zero people in this entire galaxy who would believe that, including both Harbaugh and Crabtree.

I think all receivers in the NFL have at least "good hands" or they wouldn't be in the NFL. That said, I believe Crabtree has excellent hands for some catches and less than excellent for others.

It's still a hyperbolic statement, obviously. But Crabtree's drops wouldn't necessarily detract from the statement based on the distinction you've drawn.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still a hyperbolic statement, obviously. But Crabtree's drops wouldn't necessarily detract from the statement based on the distinction you've drawn.

That, "wouldn't necessarily" would go both ways. Each WR/R would have to be judged on his own performance and not just on drops but on receptions as well.

To get a feel for how good a receiver s hands are you would study his receptions. With drops you are just trying to determine cause. By studying receptions you can get a feel for what likely was/were the cause(s).

For example, how many times have we seen Vernon Davis stone the football to death with his hands but still make the catch? Bad hands receptions happen all the time.

The bottom line is this; drops are a messy subjective analysis for which few will find common ground. Perhaps that is one reason it is kept simple (or not simple depending on your perspective) for "us out here" by just saying: "drops = band hands"; which, as we now know, may or may not be an accurate analysis.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Oh yeah, I forgot one. Darrell Jackson had pretty good hands.
boratnote.jpg

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jerry Rice
Randy Moss
Chris Carter
JJ Stokes
Tony Gonzales
Steve Smith
Ed Mcaffery

Tim Brown and Hines Ward don't make the list?

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Jerry Rice
Randy Moss
Chris Carter
JJ Stokes
Tony Gonzales
Steve Smith
Ed Mcaffery

Nice. I would add Lynn Swann and Fred Biletnikoff. I think he use to shake hands with Lester Hayes before each game.

hays.jpg

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. I would add Lynn Swann and Fred Biletnikoff. I think he use to shake hands with Lester Hayes before each game.

hays.jpg

"Now you know this don't look natural Coach. now you know it don't... I look like I just jacked off an elephant." - Clifford Franklin

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Jerry Rice
Randy Moss
Chris Carter
JJ Stokes
Tony Gonzales
Steve Smith
Ed Mcaffery

I thought I'd see Fitzgerald on your list? Unless you were just going with older/retired players.

I've had people who are much older than me tell me that it isn't an accurate list without Fred Biletnikoff and Raymond Berry showing up on it somewhere.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One week of OTAs down: Notes on offensive line, Jenkins, Willis and Moss | 49ers Hot Read

Harbaugh virtually has ruled out moving Anthony Davis inside from right tackle, adding on Wednesday: “Another guy that’s standing out is Anthony Davis. Really good with his footwork. That’s been much improved. Knowing the system, veteran guy now. Seen a big jump in his play as well.”

What about maturing as a man? I guess some players get away without that for much of their career but that would be the one thing I'd love to monitor with him the next couple years if I had to pick something.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One week of OTAs down: Notes on offensive line, Jenkins, Willis and Moss | 49ers Hot Read

Harbaugh virtually has ruled out moving Anthony Davis inside from right tackle, adding on Wednesday: “Another guy that’s standing out is Anthony Davis. Really good with his footwork. That’s been much improved. Knowing the system, veteran guy now. Seen a big jump in his play as well.”

What about maturing as a man? I guess some players get away without that for much of their career but that would be the one thing I'd love to monitor with him the next couple years if I had to pick something.

LOL! Let me guess, you follow him on twitter? I find myself on a fairly consistent basis reading his tweets and just shaking my head.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I thought I'd see Fitzgerald on your list? Unless you were just going with older/retired players.

I forgot to add Fitz' name too. He easily belongs on any hands list.

Rice probably belongs at the top of the list. He caught the ball so fluidly in his routes it was like he was a character in a video game.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL! Let me guess, you follow him on twitter? I find myself on a fairly consistent basis reading his tweets and just shaking my head.

Every once in a while I see something he posts. It dates as far back as his Rutgers days, though. I've had concerns going back as far as then.

At first I thought maybe he was just another one of those athletes that does not handle things with the media and fans very well but I think it goes beyond that at this point.

I'll never know just how much of what he says, what he does and how he comes off to outsiders in general will affect him as a football player and his development, but it's unsettling as an outsider to see some of the things that go on with him and it is something I'd love to follow if I had inside access like the coaches and his family has.

In the end I want any 49ers player to do well for the organization's sake, but I have had as hard of a time getting behind him as maybe any 49er in quite some time. I don't think I'm somebody that is unfair to players that are hard to root and speak about as a fan but he is very hard to get behind based on the things I've gathered on him over the years from a fan's perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every once in a while I see something he posts. It dates as far back as his Rutgers days, though. I've had concerns going back as far as then.

At first I thought maybe he was just another one of those athletes that does not handle things with the media and fans very well but I think it goes beyond that at this point.

I'll never know just how much of what he says, what he does and how he comes off to outsiders in general will affect him as a football player and his development, but it's unsettling as an outsider to see some of the things that go on with him and it is something I'd love to follow if I had inside access like the coaches and his family has.

In the end I want any 49ers player to do well for the organization's sake, but I have had as hard of a time getting behind him as maybe any 49er in quite some time. I don't think I'm somebody that is unfair to players that are hard to root and speak about as a fan but he is very hard to get behind based on the things I've gathered on him over the years from a fan's perspective.

I certainly don't share your sense of history with Davis but I do share your perspective and nearly all of your sentiment. I believe Davis is going to see his fair share of Honolulu boarding passes and though I am able to stay excited about that prediction that excitement is often tempered by some of the things he says.

I get it that he is only 22; nevertheless, I would like to see him embrace his social status and public image with much more professionalism.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great link! I love to see football in action. I also like the Alex is still working on his mechanics. No setback at least yet. I saw some pictures the other day that I couldn't tell if the knee was bent or locked and I thought, damnit. But this video looks better. None of those high and away passes. And YES, I did see a lot of those high and away (but caught) passes last year in the practice videos. So these aren't per se highlights excluding them unless there were THAT many more passes to choose from.