• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Workouts

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looney - Broken Foot - Whaaa? That sucks!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been broken since the Senior Bowl. They knew and aren't worried.

Jebus, I need to get new radio stations for this rock I've been living under - Thanks Mem.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Harbaugh got the boys back together this past week, and it was an impressive sight.

There was a decided confidence and swagger surrounding the 49ers as they gathered in Santa Clara for some light workouts. Scanning the field, you could see marquee NFL players at most every position. What used to be a tense workplace, run by taskmasters Mike Singletary and Mike Nolan, has turned into a professional football factory.

It’s still remarkable to think what CEO Jed York, GM Trent Baalke and Harbaugh have achieved in such a short time. The sounds of a new stadium being built across the street rattle around the 49ers’ practice facility, intermingling with the sounds of a solid team being built on the field.

The assembled weapons of San Francisco’s offense could be seen running under long throws from newcomer Josh Johnson, quarterback-in-waiting Colin Kaepernick and incumbent Alex Smith. There was Randy Moss, hauling in a 50-yard bomb. There was Kyle Williams, trying to run down a Johnson heave and exclaiming, “God, he’s got an arm!” Michael Crabtree and Moss could be heard jabbering across the field. And Vernon Davis was in the middle of it all, reminding everyone that he is the man. Wait until rookies A.J. Jenkins and LaMichael James and veteran Brandon Jacobs join this crew.

The offensive linemen were off to the side, pushing the sled and looking massive. Mike Iupati, in particular, stood out as a giant among giants. He has cut his hair, tightened up his upper body and looks every bit the Pro Bowler. Starting tackle Joe Staley looked loose and fit, alternating between goofing off and pounding the sled. And Alex Boone, the team’s swing tackle the past two seasons, was taking reps at right guard, a position that’s his for the taking. Boone, 6-feet-8, 302 pounds, later told us he needs to put on 20 pounds to withstand the hand-to-hand rigors of playing guard. Can you imagine that?

Across the way, the defensive linemen were involved in a unique drill, new to camp this year. They had boxing gloves on and were pounding away at targets held up by their coaches. There was Isaac Sopoaga, the enormous 330-pound tackle, pounding the pads. There was Ray McDonald doing the same.

But it wasn’t until Justin Smith stepped into the ring that everyone stopped and turned around. The Missouri monster, in his 12th year, starting popping the gloves with jabs and hooks in rapid succession, creating a sound that echoed across the field. It was like watching Mark McGwire take batting practice back in the day. It made a different sound than everyone else.

Over with the d-backs, balls were flying and players were yapping. At one point, you could see Donte Whitner drop down to the ground and knock out 20 quick pushups, showing the veteran drive that has made him an undisputed team leader.

And in the middle of it all was Harbaugh, running up and down the field with the players, barking orders and generally looking as if it was Christmas morning. You couldn’t imagine anyone loving football practice more than Harbaugh.

And you couldn’t imagine coming into this season with more confidence than the San Francisco 49ers have. What that season will hold is anyone’s guess. But for now, it feels as though no one’s got it better than the 49ers.

San Francisco 49ers – Niner Insider Blog – SFGate.com 49ers hit field running this year, with an edge

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Great article ^^^^^ can it be football season now?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fleming tore his ACL. Most likely done for season. Good thing they drafted Cam Johnson.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fleming tore his ACL. Most likely done for season. Good thing they drafted Cam Johnson.

Man that sucks for him, pretty much achieve the dream of getting drafted into the NFL. Then gets derailed by an injury a month later.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Saddened to see the Fleming news. I like him. In some ways what's even more upsetting is the fact that Justin Smith is going into his 12th season. What a joy to watch.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
49ers.com | Rookies Add Energy to Football School

I guess this is why Boone is making a play at RG instead of Kilgore. The team must be trying to get Kilgore in a position to replace Badwin.

From what I've read, it seems like the RG spot it Boone's to lose. Not a knock on Kilgore, but the team seems to really like Boone. If he's just too tall for OG, I'd imagine Kilgore is the odds-on favorite for the spot.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This pick already has Scott McKillop written all over it. :(

Didn't even think about that. I was really high on McKillop. Thought he had potential to be a great STs player and very good backup. Maybe even a solid starter. One injury, and that's it.

Though if it hadn't happened, we might have passed on Bowman, so I'm not too broken up about it.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This pick already has Scott McKillop written all over it. :(

Disagree. Didn't McKillop play a year first? And I think he was much less physically talented. Not projecting what might happen with Fleming, but I didn't think McKillop at all.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hate to use the word "hate" when discussing a player coming into the NFL but I strongly disliked McKillop coming into the NFL on a number of teams, including the 49ers.

As I stated on draft day, Fleming would not have been my first choice in that spot or at that time (5th), but I did like him as a player and I feel system wise he fits in well with the 49ers. The fit is so much better than the one McKillop had coming into the NFL in my opinion.

Now if you want to say the injury thing reminds you of McKillop, then fine. I can see some similiarities there and how this injury could worry someone about potentially affecting him in the future. As far as what they were as prospects, though, I disagree entirely with that. McKillop and Fleming do not remind me of each other very much at all. You'd have to explain that one to me but I don't see it.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all intents & purposes I think was an ACL that ended Bogan's shot at stardom.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the 2011 Season Videos Thread is all but dead, so this seemed like a good place to show them.

[YOUTUBE]4kNyRmqvLKU#[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator: