• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Workouts

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What the heck?

Schefter:

49ers HC jim Harbaugh, asked what he's most looking for out of players at this weekend's rookie minicamp: "Creative destruction."

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What the heck?

Schefter:

49ers HC jim Harbaugh, asked what he's most looking for out of players at this weekend's rookie minicamp: "Creative destruction."

markey_mark_wtf.gif

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very underdeveloped. Doesn't use his hands well yet. I didn't see very many pass rush moves. He's slow on the move and can be a liability against the run. Not very explosive. His first step is poor and doesn't chase down very many guys on the edge. Plays as upright or close to as upright as anybody I watched this year.

Thanks for the reply, just saw this. That's a pretty depressing eval. He's got size and experience, hopefully coaching can improve some things and he can become a space-eater. I guess if not, at least we didn't draft him.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he took ballet at some poine to help with balance?

He was a high-jumper in HS, perhaps that has something to do with it. It is usually a rhythm/timing thing but it can't make him an easy target on crossing routes as evidenced in that picture.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a high-jumper in HS, perhaps that has something to do with it. It is usually a rhythm/timing thing but it can't make him an easy target on crossing routes as evidenced in that picture.

Just so we're on the same page, I was being a little tongue-in-cheek there. The high jumping could be related, but yeah, I'd have to think it's a coordination thing. Like he can't move his feet and focus on catching at the same time.

Very puzzling and a little frustrating to me that he can't do it. It's hard to definitively say it's worse than if he was catching without the hop, but the movement also moves his head which probably contributes to some of his drops.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pitching coach House helps 49ers' Alex Smith rearm

The purpose of Smith's visit was to clean up his throwing mechanics and improve the strength of his right shoulder. Smith had surgeries on his throwing shoulder in 2007 and '08, and House said the procedures and Smith's flawed mechanics were related.

Smith had subtly altered his motion after his surgeries, most notably shifting his head to the left as he threw. Smith was using his head as a type of lever to compensate for a lack of strength in his throwing shoulder. House said Smith had manipulated his motion in an effort to find a proper release point.

"The cool thing is he's thrown perfectly in his life before - before he hurt his shoulder," House said. "It was just a matter of rediscovering what he did before his initial surgeries."

House used three-dimensional video analysis, breaking down Smith's form at a thousand frames per second, to examine the position of his head, hips, shoulders and arms when he threw. The video sessions were held inside USC's batting cage.

Smith said he emerged with a "healthier throwing motion," but his work wasn't limited to his right arm.

"(I was) working on my drops, being more efficient with my movement," Smith said. "Any time you can do that and continue to be more efficient in your movement, you're going to be a better player."

House devised a strength and throwing plan that complements the work Smith is doing with the 49ers. House gave Smith exercises, many resistance-based, designed to increase the strength and range of motion in his right shoulder. Since Smith's visit, House has consulted with 49ers strength and conditioning coach Mark Uyeyama.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just so we're on the same page, I was being a little tongue-in-cheek there. The high jumping could be related, but yeah, I'd have to think it's a coordination thing. Like he can't move his feet and focus on catching at the same time.

Very puzzling and a little frustrating to me that he can't do it. It's hard to definitively say it's worse than if he was catching without the hop, but the movement also moves his head which probably contributes to some of his drops.

Oh yeah, we're on the same page - especially when you say it probably contributes to his drops - Because it did contribute to a drop in our first meeting with ARI. I also agree it moves his head, and his hands and almost as bad, it takes his feet (and thus his speed) off the ground.

I also agree that it is frustrating and I am surprised it hasn't been coached out of his system.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The things that's aggravating about Davis jumping in this case is that he's making it a much tougher catch than it has to be. If it's a high-ish ball, and jumping allows him to catch it at chest level instead of reaching up, ok. But here, the ball is at chest level, and he's jumping, so suddenly he's got to reach down to catch it. He's making it harder on himself. Not to mention he's slowing down.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Davis is a jumper

He does seem to have jumpy feet..but that way he can change directions in mid-air like Reggie Bush :)