• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Workouts

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't disagree. Obviously best ever is a pretty high bar.

And I can think of three games where that target will likely get a little extra attention - (GB, NE & NO)

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really sure why PFT or anyone would take offense to a player saying that his goal is to be thought of as the best who ever played his position by the time he retires. That seems like a fairly common goal, especially in the context of how VD was saying that to a bunch of kids in a motivational speech to them...

The scorn and ridicule directed at the guy is as if he were more like Billy Bajema than Rob Gronkowski. (Sorry Billy, but you suck)

I mean really, they are acting like this is coming from one of the least talented TEs who ever played the game, instead of a guy who tied the single season TD mark with Alex Smith throwing to him with a HC who despised the idea of using the passing game to move the ball... before Brady and Gronk put it out of reach.

I'm pretty sure VD doesn't have a shot of reaching his goal, but to me it is pretty obvious that he said that more for the benefit of the kids who were listening... than anything else.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really sure why PFT or anyone would take offense to a player saying that his goal is to be thought of as the best who ever played his position by the time he retires. That seems like a fairly common goal, especially in the context of how VD was saying that to a bunch of kids in a motivational speech to them...

The scorn and ridicule directed at the guy is as if he were more like Billy Bajema than Rob Gronkowski. (Sorry Billy, but you suck)

I mean really, they are acting like this is coming from one of the least talented TEs who ever played the game, instead of a guy who tied the single season TD mark with Alex Smith throwing to him with a HC who despised the idea of using the passing game to move the ball... before Brady and Gronk put it out of reach.

I'm pretty sure VD doesn't have a shot of reaching his goal, but to me it is pretty obvious that he said that more for the benefit of the kids who were listening... than anything else.

A fairly common goal, perhaps; but this: "I will be the best tight end to ever play this game. I have a vision." is certainly not a common statement that one who isn't even close to the achievement makes to the media. This is what earned Davis the well deserved ridicule.

Now we have to hear how the Packers, Patriots and Saints camp feel about Davis' comment as well as other teams, and when we play those teams, once again Davis' prophecy will become a story line.

I agree with you that motivation and confidence building was likely the basis of the statement, but you know what happens with stuff like this. I just wish he would have chosen his words more wisely.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A fairly common goal, perhaps; but this: "I will be the best tight end to ever play this game. I have a vision." is certainly not a common statement that one who isn't even close to the achievement makes to the media. This is what earned Davis the well deserved ridicule.

Now we have to hear how the Packers, Patriots and Saints camp feel about Davis' comment as well as other teams, and when we play those teams, once again Davis' prophecy will become a story line.

I agree with you that motivation and confidence building was likely the basis of the statement, but you know what happens with stuff like this. I just wish he would have chosen his words more wisely.

Obviously, the media got a hold of it and it wasn't a secret statement, but I don't see this as a statement to the media but rather to the kids. I wouldn't shy away from him setting up a higher goal than he will likely reach when trying to motivate others - because in the high school kids' minds, something attainable looks as rediculous to them as what Davis said he wants to be. Sometimes you need courage to strive for what you believe is impossible.

I grew up looking up to my dad, thinking he was the smartest, hardest working dad, and rather than being inspired, I felt that nothing I did would amount to what he did and was unmotivational. I figured it out eventually but perhaps if I had seen my dad as a regular guy trying to be the smartest, hardest working dad, I would have worked harder earlier?

I don't care if everytime we play a team with a great TE this is brought up because he didn't name names or discredit anyone. How this statement could motivate the Patriots is minimal, if any. The broadcasters during pregame have no effect on the players, so it won't affect the team. I doubt they will bring this up months from now to other teams, this is likely seen by them as a visualize it first and you can attain it type of thing. People misinterpretted Alex's statements but this is virtually un-misinterprettable. If someone asks Davis questions about it, he can easily just say that's his goal and like he said before, if he doesn't get it, he doesn't get it. I don't see the big deal - shoot for the stars and you may get the moon. I think he won't get there, but he said it fine. (Flacco said he was currently the best QB, Vernon said he will be.)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I reading this correctly? Did this D'Bag just list the top 15 49ers players in three installments and in ascending order?

I figured it out. Ted Ginn Jr. wants to keep his job so he's gone around paying for even the less popular journalists to prop up his name. That's why he's 11th best. Since the defense was so good, I understand Alex being that high on the list, but out of 22 main players, he isn't in the Top 15 and Ted Ginn Jr. is?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, the media got a hold of it and it wasn't a secret statement, but I don't see this as a statement to the media but rather to the kids. I wouldn't shy away from him setting up a higher goal than he will likely reach when trying to motivate others - because in the high school kids' minds, something attainable looks as rediculous to them as what Davis said he wants to be. Sometimes you need courage to strive for what you believe is impossible.

I grew up looking up to my dad, thinking he was the smartest, hardest working dad, and rather than being inspired, I felt that nothing I did would amount to what he did and was unmotivational. I figured it out eventually but perhaps if I had seen my dad as a regular guy trying to be the smartest, hardest working dad, I would have worked harder earlier?

I don't care if everytime we play a team with a great TE this is brought up because he didn't name names or discredit anyone. How this statement could motivate the Patriots is minimal, if any. The broadcasters during pregame have no effect on the players, so it won't affect the team. I doubt they will bring this up months from now to other teams, this is likely seen by them as a visualize it first and you can attain it type of thing. People misinterpretted Alex's statements but this is virtually un-misinterprettable. If someone asks Davis questions about it, he can easily just say that's his goal and like he said before, if he doesn't get it, he doesn't get it. I don't see the big deal - shoot for the stars and you may get the moon. I think he won't get there, but he said it fine. (Flacco said he was currently the best QB, Vernon said he will be.)

Well, obviously, I want him to reach this goal as a 49er, and I hope it doesn't become a story line, but I think we all know better than that. I didn't hear about the Flacco comment, that would be an even dumber statement.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured it out. Ted Ginn Jr. wants to keep his job so he's gone around paying for even the less popular journalists to prop up his name. That's why he's 11th best. Since the defense was so good, I understand Alex being that high on the list, but out of 22 main players, he isn't in the Top 15 and Ted Ginn Jr. is?

Being that it was GC I didn't read anything beyond what seemed like an ascending order countdown or something like that...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you're referring to "Highway to the Danger Zone" it does sound close to it, but i don't think so either

At one point it made me think of that, and at another it made me think of "Playing With the Boys," the song from that smokin' hot volleyball scene.

Nothing - and I mean NOTHING - beats Anthony Edwards in a tank top.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At one point it made me think of that, and at another it made me think of "Playing With the Boys," the song from that smokin' hot volleyball scene.

Nothing - and I mean NOTHING - beats Anthony Edwards in a tank top.

I believe you might be looking for this -

Top Gun VolleyBall Scene

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do I know that song from? It's making me think of Top Gun, but not sure if that's it.

Shazam it!

On the topic of the video, that was the most underwhelming "highlight reel" I've ever seen.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shazam it!

On the topic of the video, that was the most underwhelming "highlight reel" I've ever seen.

I forgot all about Shazam - I suppose you could try to send an email to Kegley as well.