• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Workouts

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shazam it!

On the topic of the video, that was the most underwhelming "highlight reel" I've ever seen.

Talking about underwelming... or just bad. Someone showed me this and I couldn't tell if he was serious or not.

[YOUTUBE]4C-20PLn3Xc[/YOUTUBE]

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stock watch: Super Bowl odds - Yahoo! Sports

San Francisco 49ers (Open: 12/1, Current: 4/1): Really? Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers are both listed at 4/1? I know the Niners won 13 games last season and their prospects for making a serious run in 2012 are terrific, but I still don’t understand why this team is currently the co-favorite in Vegas to bring home the bacon in February. Maybe Jim Harbaugh—like Roger Dorn in the movie Major League II—activated himself and I missed it.

I'm not really sure who this writer is... but I can state with complete confidence that those odds makers are basing the 49ers chances on the expected strength of the 49ers defense and not on Alex Smith. Just like those odds makers are going by Rodgers as the MVP instead of focusing on their 32nd ranked defense.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not to mention the Niners might actually have a semblance of balance on offense. Unlike the Pack, they're not relying on the QB to carry the whole team. Not saying I prefer that to relying on a pro bowl QB, but it's not like it's Smith vs. Rodgers head-to-head.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From the bargains and busts article:

Brandon Marshall, Bears, WR, $9.5M: He obviously was a bust in Miami

Huh? Obviously he didn't work out, but a bust? He had 1,200 yards and 6 TDs last year for a team that only had 3,091 and 20. That seems like pretty good production, to go along with dominating the pro bowl (meaning he actually tried).

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To me the bust and bargain article should have included Navarro Bowman as one of the bargains. He finished 7th in tackles and was named AP All Pro player and his salary was I believe around $320

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the bargains and busts article:

Brandon Marshall, Bears, WR, $9.5M: He obviously was a bust in Miami

Huh? Obviously he didn't work out, but a bust? He had 1,200 yards and 6 TDs last year for a team that only had 3,091 and 20. That seems like pretty good production, to go along with dominating the pro bowl (meaning he actually tried).

+1 :pops:

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To me the bust and bargain article should have included Navarro Bowman as one of the bargains. He finished 7th in tackles and was named AP All Pro player and his salary was I believe around $320

Just noticed and error on my part.. That should have said, $320k

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No kidding, Bowman is a better bargain than Justin Smith. When Smith signed his contract it was a very fair deal for him and the 49ers. While he has played great for the 49ers, those huge DE deals are for the sack masters. Peppers for instance has played one less season and has 27 more sacks.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just noticed and error on my part.. That should have said, $320k

Dang, I wish he would play for $320, but instead he demand 1,000 times that amount. Greedy. ;)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Got my juices flowing a bit, so I'm going to knock out a quick roster prediction:

QB (3): A. Smith, Kaepernick, J. Johnson

I think Tolzien will really push Johnson, but unless he lights up the preseason, he'll probably be safe on the PS. The other two are givens.

RB (5): Gore, Hunter, James, Jacobs, Miller

Much as I'd love to see Dixon pull off the upset and win out over Jacobs, I just don't see it happening. He'd have to find a physicality that he's lacked in his career to date. Cartwright was my final cut, but we'll have to find STs help somewhere to justify replacing him.

WR (6): Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins, Williams, Ginn

I think Williams makes it too hard to cut him, and we need all the depth we can get at the position anyway. Ginn makes it because we can't trust Williams returning kicks right now. Gotta keep an eye out for some more size in the not-too-distant future.

TE (3): V. Davis, Walker, Byham

I'm giving Byham the nod for his blocking, though he could absolutely be threatened by Dobbs if Dobbs makes strides. Reuland might end up on the PS again, or could likely be had off the street if we need him. If not for Harbaugh and Roman's apparent love the the TE position, I'd put only two guys here to open up a STs spot. Still tempted to do so.

OL (9): Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, A. Davis, Kilgore, Person, Looney, Slowey

Absolutely no suspense at this position. I've got it as a pretty big upset if this isn't the group week one. There is some chance, given the versatility of the backups, that we only keep 8 and put Slowey on the PS.

DL (7): J. Smith, Sopoaga, McDonald, Jean-Francois, Tukuafu, Dobbs, Williams

A little heavy here, but RJF and Sop are FAs next year, so Williams just about has to make it. Both Tukuafu and Dobbs are working on versatility to play on offense, and the coaching staff seems to like both (Tukuafu was the first guy off the bench pre-injury).

OLB (4): A. Smith, Brooks, Haralson, C. Johnson

I think Bakhtiari (sp?) has a pretty good chance for his STs ability, especially as I cut Cartwright earlier, but for now let's go with Johnson and his ability to rush the passer. He'll have to show he can contribute on STs, though, as might Parys.

ILB (4): Willis, Bowman, Grant, Gooden

No real surprises here. Grant and Gooden will have to anchor the Tony Montana unit. Does Wilhoite stick for STs? Right now I can't find a place for him.

CBs (5): Rodgers, Brown, Culliver, Cox, Brock

A little light for the position, but the top four are arguably starting caliber and we can keep another on the PS.

S (4): Goldson, Whitner, Spillman, Robinson

These guys seem like locks. I'd be somewhat surprised if we keep anyone else. Can't find a spot for Jones right now, but we're light on coverage guys so he has a real shot.

STs (3): Akers, Lee, Jennings

The old standbys.

VERY few spots up for grabs, and most of them come down to STs and positional choices. Now that we know a bit more about the young guys, here's what I'd do on the PS, as well:

QB Tolzien - will push for a roster spot, but if not ends up here
WR Palmer - tough between he and Owusu, but they have similar measurables and he doesn't have the injury concerns; our highest-paid UDFA
TE Reuland - wouldn't be surprised if he's out and we don't us a PS spot on a TE, but he works hard, has Stanford tiees, and Walker is a FA next year
RB Hampton - other than Gore, the guy on the roster who profiles the most as an every-down back.
OL no real idea, but I feel like we'll keep one; Beeler has a chance, but could be in trouble with Kilgore getting so much action at C and Slowey coming in.
CB Nelms - he can take reps on offense and defense, and has good size, measurables, some experience at S, and STs ability.
S M. Thomas - this could go a lot of different ways, so I just picked one. Stanford, good coverage skills. Legree was a 5th round pick, but was also cut by the Hawks.
DB C. Jones - Not sure he's still eligible, but if so, let's give him another year to learn the position and fill in on STs if we have any injuries.

IR: LB Fleming

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Got my juices flowing a bit, so I'm going to knock out a quick roster prediction:

QB (3): A. Smith, Kaepernick, J. Johnson

I think Tolzien will really push Johnson, but unless he lights up the preseason, he'll probably be safe on the PS. The other two are givens.

Much as I'd love to see Dixon pull off the upset and win out over Jacobs, I just don't see it happening. He'd have to find a physicality that he's lacked in his career to date. Cartwright was my final cut, but we'll have to find STs help somewhere to justify replacing him.

I think Williams makes it too hard to cut him, and we need all the depth we can get at the position anyway. Ginn makes it because we can't trust Williams returning kicks right now. Gotta keep an eye out for some more size in the not-too-distant future.

TE (3): V. Davis, Walker, Byham

I'm giving Byham the nod for his blocking, though he could absolutely be threatened by Dobbs if Dobbs makes strides. Reuland might end up on the PS again, or could likely be had off the street if we need him. If not for Harbaugh and Roman's apparent love the the TE position, I'd put only two guys here to open up a STs spot. Still tempted to do so.

OL (9): Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, A. Davis, Kilgore, Person, Looney, Slowey

Absolutely no suspense at this position. I've got it as a pretty big upset if this isn't the group week one. There is some chance, given the versatility of the backups, that we only keep 8 and put Slowey on the PS.

DL (7): J. Smith, Sopoaga, McDonald, Jean-Francois, Tukuafu, Dobbs, Williams

A little heavy here, but RJF and Sop are FAs next year, so Williams just about has to make it. Both Tukuafu and Dobbs are working on versatility to play on offense, and the coaching staff seems to like both (Tukuafu was the first guy off the bench pre-injury).

OLB (4): A. Smith, Brooks, Haralson, C. Johnson

I think Bakhtiari (sp?) has a pretty good chance for his STs ability, especially as I cut Cartwright earlier, but for now let's go with Johnson and his ability to rush the passer. He'll have to show he can contribute on STs, though, as might Parys.

ILB (4): Willis, Bowman, Grant, Gooden

No real surprises here. Grant and Gooden will have to anchor the Tony Montana unit. Does Wilhoite stick for STs? Right now I can't find a place for him.

CBs (5): Rodgers, Brown, Culliver, Cox, Brock

A little light for the position, but the top four are arguably starting caliber and we can keep another on the PS.

S (4): Goldson, Whitner, Spillman, Robinson

These guys seem like locks. I'd be somewhat surprised if we keep anyone else. Can't find a spot for Jones right now, but we're light on coverage guys so he has a real shot.

STs (3): Akers, Lee, Jennings

The old standbys.

VERY few spots up for grabs, and most of them come down to STs and positional choices. Now that we know a bit more about the young guys, here's what I'd do on the PS, as well:

QB Tolzien - will push for a roster spot, but if not ends up here
WR Palmer - tough between he and Owusu, but they have similar measurables and he doesn't have the injury concerns; our highest-paid UDFA
TE Reuland - wouldn't be surprised if he's out and we don't us a PS spot on a TE, but he works hard, has Stanford tiees, and Walker is a FA next year
RB Hampton - other than Gore, the guy on the roster who profiles the most as an every-down back.
OL no real idea, but I feel like we'll keep one; Beeler has a chance, but could be in trouble with Kilgore getting so much action at C and Slowey coming in.
CB Nelms - he can take reps on offense and defense, and has good size, measurables, some experience at S, and STs ability.
S M. Thomas - this could go a lot of different ways, so I just picked one. Stanford, good coverage skills. Legree was a 5th round pick, but was also cut by the Hawks.
DB C. Jones - Not sure he's still eligible, but if so, let's give him another year to learn the position and fill in on STs if we have any injuries.

IR: LB Fleming

I think it's doubtful that Tolzien will clear waivers if the Niners cut him. He was picked up by the Niners last season when the Chargers cut him and hoping he would clear waivers. I think The Chargers are still high on Tolzien and I also read somewhere, can't recall where though, that there are other teams that might be interested in him as well.

Also, just a hunch on my part, I think that Tolzien will make the roster and Johnson will get cut. I know it sound far fetched knowing JJ played for Harbaugh in college but I think that that argument is overrated. It's true that beat writer for the Niners have said that JJ looks like the most polished throwers amongst the QB's but his accuracy often comes in to question. Another factor to consider is that Tolzien was coached by QB Geep Chryst's brother in college and as the QB coach, Geep would have a lot of input on which QB's will make the team. Plus history is somewhat in Tolzien's side. Last year, without a benefit of an offseason, the Niners opted to pick Tolzien off of waivers and release McCown making Tolzien their 3rd string QB -- keep in mind McCown was also good during last year's pre-season games. Never the less, the Niners still went with an undrafted Rookie taken off of waivers from another team using another system. That shows a lot of confidence in Tolzien's abilities.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

no argument about Williams returning punts (from the fans view), but IF we keep him won't it be because of his versatility? if so, then the Coaches trust him on punt returns. if the Coaches trust him to return punts, does it matter if he starts doing it game 1 or game 8?

looked another way, if the Coaches didn't trust him to return punts, would he make the team as just a WR?

what i'm leading to is...........from the above i get the impression Ginn is very much for ST's, and Williams is very much a WR. for a team always looking for versatility, would we keep both?

btw - not saying if Ginn is cut, then Williams IS the primary returner. he might still be the back up to say Cox? but again, wondering if we'll keep both Ginn and Williams?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

how much do we intend to use Jacobs? after Gore and Hunter get their reps, how much is left for Jacobs and James? even if the REMAINING reps all go to Jacobs, is this enough to justify his spot?

as just RB's, is Jacobs that much better than Cartwright or Dixon? wouldn't they be the 3rd or even 4th stringer?

Cartwright comes in with a good reputation for ST's. Dixon was on our ST's and don't recall anything negative? i'm wondering if Cartwright or Dixon might be better served over Jacobs? by doing this we can save a roster spot for another promising YOUNG player.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

how much do we intend to use Jacobs? after Gore and Hunter get their reps, how much is left for Jacobs and James? even if the REMAINING reps all go to Jacobs, is this enough to justify his spot?

as just RB's, is Jacobs that much better than Cartwright or Dixon? wouldn't they be the 3rd or even 4th stringer?

Cartwright comes in with a good reputation for ST's. Dixon was on our ST's and don't recall anything negative? i'm wondering if Cartwright or Dixon might be better served over Jacobs? by doing this we can save a roster spot for another promising YOUNG player.

I think both Cartwright and Dixon will get cut even with their ST skills. The Niners' currently are heavy ob RB's and light on Safeties. I think Collin Jones makes it as a ST player and backup Safety