• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Workouts

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A few amateur thoughts on Kaepernick and Smith, in no particular order.

1. If Kaep's going to struggle, it should and is most reasonable to be now, early. He was here last year, but that was with no off-season, his rookie year, and he wasn't familiar with the offense as JJ is now nor as experienced as Alex was coming into last year.
  2. Alex doing well here doesn't mean much compared to playoffs, regular season, or heck, even preseason or training camp. But it sure beats the alternative. If Smith were struggling with no Patrick Willis or Bowman or Goldson in no contact practices, I'd be more worried. So no bad news is great news, here.
  3. In regards to Kaep's inaccuracy - It's just a few reporters reporting, they don't know the plays nor do they know whether the receivers on this over/underthrows are running the right route or speed. There's more than just a QB learning.
  4. Alex looks better because right now he is better. At least with this offense with Kaep's reworked passing motion/mechanics. One, it's practice. Two, he's a veteran. Three, he is working with 1st stringers mostly who are, well better. Kaep works with first stringers too, but I imagine less.
  5. Kaep is competing, which may create more pressure. As much as we like him, we don't know how he responds to pressure. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one, but it is a consideration as to why he's struggling. Maybe he'd be more relaxed because he's more of a leader on offense if he were given the job? I'm not saying complacency is great, just that there are a lot of things on his shoulders that may not need to be to consider. But what do I know? Maybe he feels he needs another year and likes his position where he can improve before going out there? I know he wants to start but he might have a great attitude.
  6. We don't know if Kaep is being given harder or easier plays, farther or closer passes. So 27 of 32 is not necessarily as great of difference from 12-20. 32 passes is 12 more already so with more throws you improve more. Alex is getting more passes, heck all three are. Is he running or getting sacked more? Or a lot fewer reps?
  7. Everyone but myself have been assuming that Kaep is the future (haven't ruled it out, either) and Alex is going to be too limited, so maybe the media has too much scrutiny. In a competition, we should expect more scrutiny anyways.
  8. Kaep, no matter what the coaches are telling the media, is working to a greater degree on his passing motion, mechanics than before. Alex, in fact, said now is the time to be tweaking things, trying new things out, etc. Maybe Kaep can be more accurate going back to his natural motion but is giving it a shot? That seems to be obvious but the media isn't giving him much of a break on it, though I can't say they've been terrible, either.
  9. Kaep overthrew Moss. That's Randy Moss. So there obviously are some things he needs to figure out just like everybody. My point? I just don't want to come off as making every excuse under the sun for Kaep nor praising Smith for everything.
  10. I'd have more, but I think people have skipped this or stopped reading.

well, I read the whole thing, granted got lazy towards the end. :-)

regarding CK only.........IMO none of these things should be a big deal at this point? the one point that does have merit....and i hope is the cause....is him working on his mechanics. he's likely being asked to change it quite a bit, so it'll take time. but as you noted, he might as well be doing it now.

i'm not about to bash CK but always said we're placing too much expectations on him to begin with? it has toned down from last year so maybe this comment is 'dated', but most 2nd round QB picks don't pan out solid starters.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kaepernick was always going to need time, at least based on the little I saw of him in college and the Senior Bowl. Without a real offseason last year, he's going through some growing pains this year. That's not such a bad thing, necessarily. We don't need him to be the starter, and if we can work through some things for the longterm, now's the time. That said, you don't want to hear about any player struggling, really. Especially the theoretical QB of the future.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does appear to be a little crisper but one thing that seems to be lacking on both routes is the timing. I can imagine curls being a difficult route for Crabtree mostly because you have to sell the "Go" and with Crabtree's speed that won't be an easy task.

There are some OTA photos from a few days ago showing Crabtree and Williams running the same route. Crabtree demonstrates closed hips and horrible hands technique while Williams just school's him on both. From all I have seen I would say Williams is having/had the better OTA's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give up...grr!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eric Branch:

Ohio, again: Jim Harbaugh said the #49ers plan to spend the week in Youngstown between Week 3 (at Vikings) and Week 4 (at Jets).

#49ers Jim Harbaugh said Alex Smith had separated himself "even further" from other QBs on roster ... "nothing set in stone" behind Smith.

49ers Colin Kaepernick was very sharp today -- a "near-perfect" day per Harbaugh, who had Kaepernick with 1 incompletion (2 drops).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Branch:

Ohio, again: Jim Harbaugh said the #49ers plan to spend the week in Youngstown between Week 3 (at Vikings) and Week 4 (at Jets).

#49ers Jim Harbaugh said Alex Smith had separated himself "even further" from other QBs on roster ... "nothing set in stone" behind Smith.

49ers Colin Kaepernick was very sharp today -- a "near-perfect" day per Harbaugh, who had Kaepernick with 1 incompletion (2 drops).

Can we exaggerate this too like we exaggerated his struggling? (I know I sound like a culprit, but I was just the messenger and I defended him.) It's good to know he's having good days, too.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Man, there is so much stuff every offseason that I wish wouldn't even make it to the internet.

49ers Blog and Q&A: Harbaugh: "Near-perfect day" for QB Kaepernick

What I would like to highlight, though:

Harbaugh said 30 players, including cornerback Tramaine Brock, earned perfect attendance this spring. That designation goes to the players who have been on hand for every meeting, lifting session and practice since the offseason program began in April.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Branch:

Nice comments - keep 'em coming! Although they mean absolutely nothing in terms of what we can expect come Sunday in September - they sure are better than the alternative right now.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick was always going to need time, at least based on the little I saw of him in college and the Senior Bowl. Without a real offseason last year, he's going through some growing pains this year. That's not such a bad thing, necessarily. We don't need him to be the starter, and if we can work through some things for the longterm, now's the time. That said, you don't want to hear about any player struggling, really. Especially the theoretical QB of the future.

I agree. Some people are under the illusion that he is already ready to start.