• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Workouts

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Practice Notes from 6-12

This is cool. I mean, I hope he's passing them accurately but if Smith can start trusting a receiver enough to throw a "neighborhood throw", that's great. Alas, this is a no pads, little-to-no-contact practice, but if he were hesitating throwing to Randy Moss at practice, things could be much worse.

Ahh, Johnson's learning about what Smith endured in 2010 a few times, though on the money is better than some of Smith's tipped INTs.

Sounds like Johnson is having a great off-season so far. Smooth by all accounts.

I've been led to believe the same...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't take my word for it or for that matter the below poster's comments (he's just a poster) but this what I read on another message board. Read it with a grain of salt as the guy may or nay not be overly biased. I didn't want to adopt the words as my own...

Part of what I quoted was from this link here. So I guess it wasn't the poster's comments.

Practice Notes

There's also other notes about practice, like an Alex Smith-Davis back-shoulder TD.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Practice Notes from 6-12

Ahh, Johnson's learning about what Smith endured in 2010 a few times, though on the money is better than some of Smith's tipped INTs.

Sounds like Johnson is having a great off-season so far. Smooth by all accounts.

Generally speaking, yes. There were reports yesterday that he struggled with accuracy early, though. In fact, at least one or two reporters said Tolzien looked like the best of the bunch to date.

The good news is that Johnson and Tolzien have looked quite good. The bad news is that Kaepernick, the heir apparent, has looked shaky. It's still quite early, but Kap has got to start improving his play in practice if he even wants to hold onto the second spot. We're a SB contender and need our most reliable guy at #2. Kap won't get that spot just because he has a higher ceiling. It'd be different if we were rebuilding.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Btw, some very favorable reports on Perrish Cox lately. With the likely added incentive of a potentially hefty civil judgment against him for sexual assault, we may have found a real bargain there. So long as he keeps it in his pants henceforth.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, some very favorable reports on Perrish Cox lately. With the likely added incentive of a potentially hefty civil judgment against him for sexual assault, we may have found a real bargain there. So long as he keeps it in his pants henceforth.

Seems like he is picking up right where he left off. Hope the Commish doesn't suspend him because it sounds like he'd be very useful against the Packers week 1. With how they prefer to go after the 3rd and 4th CB until the defense shifts and then go after the 1 or 2.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, i am really pulling for the guy. I know a lot of us were big fans of him coming out of college. Tons of potential if he can keep his head straight.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, i am really pulling for the guy. I know a lot of us were big fans of him coming out of college. Tons of potential if he can keep his head straight.

+1 as far as his talent goes. One of my favorite moves of the offseason.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seems like he is picking up right where he left off. Hope the Commish doesn't suspend him because it sounds like he'd be very useful against the Packers week 1. With how they prefer to go after the 3rd and 4th CB until the defense shifts and then go after the 1 or 2.

I highly doubt that he will be suspended based on the fact that he was found not guilty of the charge. He is facing a civil law suit stemming from the criminal case but that should not carry the same weight as a criminal law suit if the NFL do decide to review his case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I highly doubt that he will be suspended based on the fact that he was found not guilty of the charge. He is facing a civil law suit stemming from the criminal case but that should not carry the same weight as a criminal law suit if the NFL do decide to review his case.

I think the more compelling factor is that he didn't play at all last year. He effectively served a one-year suspension already. Being found not guilty alone wouldn't necessarily do it IMO.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the more compelling factor is that he didn't play at all last year. He effectively served a one-year suspension already. Being found not guilty alone wouldn't necessarily do it IMO.

I doubt being cut and not being signed by another can be construed as suspension. There was no official ruling that prevented other teams to sign him after being released by the Broncos therefore in theory he could have played last year if another team signed him. The fact that no other teams signed him does not mean he was officially reprimanded by the league

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I doubt being cut and not being signed by another can be construed as suspension. There was no official ruling that prevented other teams to sign him after being released by the Broncos therefore in theory he could have played last year if another team signed him. The fact that no other teams signed him does not mean he was officially reprimanded by the league

I don't disagree. If they want to punish him, they will do so. But I think they'll take the fact that he was off last year - likely entirely because of his legal problems - into account when considering additional penalties. We'll see. It's looking like he'll make the roster, so I'm hoping there is no suspension. He's only 25, so between him, Brown, and Culliver, we may have a CB corps we can keep together for awhile.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Blog and Q&A: 49ers Notes: Smith to Moss for a two-minute touchdown

Smith to Crabtree: Offense beats defense

San Francisco 49ers – Niner Insider Blog – SFGate.com Practice notes: Kaepernick’s wayward; Williams wows

Sounds like Kaepernick is going through growing pains right now, hopefully he will keep his head up and get better. This is, of course, his first off-season of value. And he is playing the 1st string defense. Maybe he is changing his mechanics/windup/throwing motion too quickly? It sounds like it isn't communication or understanding as much as yesterday. It seems mechanical or aim or something. But I understand that reporters can and do blow struggles out of proportion, especially when we expect struggles in the first full off-season.

* For the second straight day, quarterback Colin Kaepernick was just a little outside. Or low. Or high.

Yes, Kaepernick has struggled with his accuracy.

Today, Kaepernick badly overthrew Randy Moss along the right sideline and later sailed another sideline throw that cornerback Tramaine Brock intercepted.

Kaepernick often appears to aim his throws that require touch instead of using his natural throwing motion.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor Price: Smith Impressive at Situational Downs

Alex Smith had himself a day at the second of three mandatory minicamp sessions this offseason for the San Francisco 49ers.

The starting quarterback completed several deep, intermediate and short passes to a number of his intended receivers, including several perfectly thrown balls to Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis and Randy Moss, among others.

It wasn’t just the throws from Smith that stood out; it was more about the scenarios in which he was able to complete them that were most impressive.

First, in a first-team offense versus first-team defense period (both Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman were excused from practice to handle personal matters), Smith finished off the abbreviated, one-play period with a short touchdown throw to Crabtree. Prior to the play, coach Jim Harbaugh declared it to be a one-play period, where the 49ers only had one opportunity to score.

They did.

Smith later found Davis repeatedly over the middle during “move the ball” team periods where the offense’s goal was to pick up first downs and march down the field.

Later, in a two-minute drill period to close out practice, Smith led the first-team offense to a score after he completed a short touchdown to Moss in the back of the end zone.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minicamp notes: Alex Smith shines in Wednesday’s afternoon practice - Inside the 49ers

Alex Smith completed 27 of 32 passes. In red zone drills he completed two touchdowns. For about an hour he didn’t miss a single pass.

Most of his throws were short and intermediate ones to open receivers. Smith is clearly the most confident Niners QB when it comes to making decisions in the pocket. He was throwing the ball quickly all day. He even hit Randy Moss in the face one time because Moss didn’t get his head around quick enough.

Both TDs Smith threw came in red zone drills. The first one he threw a dart to Crabtree between two defenders. The second he threw a high touch pass to Moss in the back of the end zone, which Moss caught easily.

Colin Kaepernick completed 12 of 20 passes, and he threw one interception. He struggled throwing accurately from the pocket, missing high and behind receivers, but he made some accurate throws on the run. Three times he hit receivers with lasers on the sideline as he rolled to his right and threw off one foot.

Kaepernick tried to roll out later on in practice, but Larry Grant saw it coming. As Kaepernick called the signals from under center, Grant shouted, “Sprint out! Sprint out!” Sure enough, Kaepernick got the ball and sprinted to his right. The defense swarmed to that side of the field, Kaepernick threw high over Brett Swain’s head, and if the pass had been on target Perrish Cox probably would have picked it off. “Told you guys!” Grant yelled after the play.

Josh Johnson completed just 11 of 23 passes. He struggled early in practice, missing some short throws high and some intermediate ones low. He threw one interception as well. But he also threw two of the best passes all day – one was a 25-yard strike to Randy Moss, the other was a beautiful deep pass to Joe Hastings down the sideline.

Scott Tolzien completed 11 of 20 passes and had two throws picked off and a couple more batted down at the line of scrimmage.

THE GOOD
■Michael Crabtree got big-time separation all day. In one-on-one drills, he turned Tramaine Brock around on a very good cut. He also caught a TD from Alex Smith.
■Tarell Brown stuck with Kyle Williams on a good double move and picked off the pass from Tolzien. He had tight coverage the rest of practice, not allowing any long gains. On one play he ran stride for stride with A.J. Jenkins on a deep pass. His coverage was so tight, Jenkins couldn’t even get his hands up to make the catch. Chris Culliver didn’t give up any long gains, either, and the quarterbacks didn’t throw his way often. Both Brown and Culliver were lights-out today.
■Tramaine Brock got off to a slow start, getting beaten badly by Crabtree and Hastings in one-on-ones. But he quickly redeemed himself, picking off Tolzien in that same one-on-one drill and picking off Colin Kaepernick later.
■The coaches have made it clear that they do not want the team to jump offside in minicamp. The starting offensive line managed to go the entire afternoon practice without false starting once.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD
■A.J. Jenkins didn’t catch a single pass as far as I could tell. He dove and missed a Tolzien pass over the middle, he let a Johnson TD pass glance off his finger tips in the back of the end zone, and he didn’t contest a Johnson interception when the cornerback jumped the route. He caught one along the sideline, but he couldn’t keep both his feet inbounds.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith completed 27 of 32 passes. In red zone drills he completed two touchdowns. For about an hour he didn’t miss a single pass.

Most of his throws were short and intermediate ones to open receivers. Smith is clearly the most confident Niners QB when it comes to making decisions in the pocket. He was throwing the ball quickly all day. He even hit Randy Moss in the face one time because Moss didn’t get his head around quick enough.

Both TDs Smith threw came in red zone drills. The first one he threw a dart to Crabtree between two defenders. The second he threw a high touch pass to Moss in the back of the end zone, which Moss caught easily.

Colin Kaepernick completed 12 of 20 passes, and he threw one interception. He struggled throwing accurately from the pocket, missing high and behind receivers, but he made some accurate throws on the run. Three times he hit receivers with lasers on the sideline as he rolled to his right and threw off one foot.

Kaepernick tried to roll out later on in practice, but Larry Grant saw it coming. As Kaepernick called the signals from under center, Grant shouted, “Sprint out! Sprint out!” Sure enough, Kaepernick got the ball and sprinted to his right. The defense swarmed to that side of the field, Kaepernick threw high over Brett Swain’s head, and if the pass had been on target Perrish Cox probably would have picked it off. “Told you guys!” Grant yelled after the play.

Josh Johnson completed just 11 of 23 passes. He struggled early in practice, missing some short throws high and some intermediate ones low. He threw one interception as well. But he also threw two of the best passes all day – one was a 25-yard strike to Randy Moss, the other was a beautiful deep pass to Joe Hastings down the sideline.

Scott Tolzien completed 11 of 20 passes and had two throws picked off and a couple more batted down at the line of scrimmage.

THE GOOD
■Michael Crabtree got big-time separation all day. In one-on-one drills, he turned Tramaine Brock around on a very good cut. He also caught a TD from Alex Smith.
■Tarell Brown stuck with Kyle Williams on a good double move and picked off the pass from Tolzien. He had tight coverage the rest of practice, not allowing any long gains. On one play he ran stride for stride with A.J. Jenkins on a deep pass. His coverage was so tight, Jenkins couldn’t even get his hands up to make the catch. Chris Culliver didn’t give up any long gains, either, and the quarterbacks didn’t throw his way often. Both Brown and Culliver were lights-out today.
■Tramaine Brock got off to a slow start, getting beaten badly by Crabtree and Hastings in one-on-ones. But he quickly redeemed himself, picking off Tolzien in that same one-on-one drill and picking off Colin Kaepernick later.
■The coaches have made it clear that they do not want the team to jump offside in minicamp. The starting offensive line managed to go the entire afternoon practice without false starting once.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD
■A.J. Jenkins didn’t catch a single pass as far as I could tell. He dove and missed a Tolzien pass over the middle, he let a Johnson TD pass glance off his finger tips in the back of the end zone, and he didn’t contest a Johnson interception when the cornerback jumped the route. He caught one along the sideline, but he couldn’t keep both his feet inbounds.

I could read that all day long!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could read that all day long!

A few amateur thoughts on Kaepernick and Smith, in no particular order.

1. If Kaep's going to struggle, it should and is most reasonable to be now, early. He was here last year, but that was with no off-season, his rookie year, and he wasn't familiar with the offense as JJ is now nor as experienced as Alex was coming into last year.
  2. Alex doing well here doesn't mean much compared to playoffs, regular season, or heck, even preseason or training camp. But it sure beats the alternative. If Smith were struggling with no Patrick Willis or Bowman or Goldson in no contact practices, I'd be more worried. So no bad news is great news, here.
  3. In regards to Kaep's inaccuracy - It's just a few reporters reporting, they don't know the plays nor do they know whether the receivers on this over/underthrows are running the right route or speed. There's more than just a QB learning.
  4. Alex looks better because right now he is better. At least with this offense with Kaep's reworked passing motion/mechanics. One, it's practice. Two, he's a veteran. Three, he is working with 1st stringers mostly who are, well better. Kaep works with first stringers too, but I imagine less.
  5. Kaep is competing, which may create more pressure. As much as we like him, we don't know how he responds to pressure. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one, but it is a consideration as to why he's struggling. Maybe he'd be more relaxed because he's more of a leader on offense if he were given the job? I'm not saying complacency is great, just that there are a lot of things on his shoulders that may not need to be to consider. But what do I know? Maybe he feels he needs another year and likes his position where he can improve before going out there? I know he wants to start but he might have a great attitude.
  6. We don't know if Kaep is being given harder or easier plays, farther or closer passes. So 27 of 32 is not necessarily as great of difference from 12-20. 32 passes is 12 more already so with more throws you improve more. Alex is getting more passes, heck all three are. Is he running or getting sacked more? Or a lot fewer reps?
  7. Everyone but myself have been assuming that Kaep is the future (haven't ruled it out, either) and Alex is going to be too limited, so maybe the media has too much scrutiny. In a competition, we should expect more scrutiny anyways.
  8. Kaep, no matter what the coaches are telling the media, is working to a greater degree on his passing motion, mechanics than before. Alex, in fact, said now is the time to be tweaking things, trying new things out, etc. Maybe Kaep can be more accurate going back to his natural motion but is giving it a shot? That seems to be obvious but the media isn't giving him much of a break on it, though I can't say they've been terrible, either.
  9. Kaep overthrew Moss. That's Randy Moss. So there obviously are some things he needs to figure out just like everybody. My point? I just don't want to come off as making every excuse under the sun for Kaep nor praising Smith for everything.
  10. I'd have more, but I think people have skipped this or stopped reading.