• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5'10 corner over a potential generational talent at DT when it was an absolutely dire need.
You cant justify that, i dont care how many 6'1 corners have been taken in the past 10 years.
Maybe thats part of the reason pete was let go and our first pick after his tenure was a DT.

Sorry, DTs aren't normally taken that high. Even Donald was a #13 pick. It's been over a decade since DTs were consistently considered top 5 picks. Hell, I was nice to keep Quinnen Williams as a DT as he's been mostly a DE in New York, otherwise it's been since 2011 since a DT was take top 5. So, why is it such a sure-fire thing that a DT (any DT) be taken #5 over a CB (any height of CB) in the draft.

Carter could have an amazing career - but that doesn't change that DT in the top 5 is unlikely to say the least. You getting a crush on Carter's intangibles doesn't change that, historically speaking, he went where he was probably going to go, no matter how much the sports media was hyping him as the next Aaron Donald.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People develop crushes on college players then spend years complaining because their team didn't draft their crush. At the time Seahawks had way to much invested in safety to use their 1.10 on another safety (yes we all agree they screwed up at the position) as for that DT he was used in a rotation in college (and pro's) has questions about staying in shape, weight problems, and then clubbing and racing rather then preparing for the draft. None of his college coaches put a good word in for him. Got to say I was shocked they went CB even though I loved Witherspoon tape, he was a bit under sized for his style of play and I thought DL or QB was going to be the choice given their needs

Also had they drafted Carter we wouldn't have Witherspoon OR Murphy. They took WAY to long to move away from Adams, They saw the writing on the wall and could have made a move but didn't. With what we know now and some of us saw before they could have got something for him and it would have been a steal in 2022.

I'll take Witherspoon and Murphy over Carter every sing day, not even a question.

Witherspoon reminds me of Carlton Gray but a little better but a little smaller.

Last edited:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, DTs aren't normally taken that high.
Neither are 5'10 slot corners, in fact he may be the only one ever taken that high.
Also had they drafted Carter we wouldn't have Witherspoon OR Murphy
We could have carter AND murphy plus whoever we took with the 2nd rounder we traded way for williams.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither are 5'10 slot corners, in fact he may be the only one ever taken that high.

The fact you pigeonhole Witherspoon as a slot corner is more your bias and not as much his skillset.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also had they drafted Carter we wouldn't have Witherspoon OR Murphy. They took WAY to long to move away from Adams, They saw the writing on the wall and could have made a move but didn't. With what we know now and some of us saw before they could have got something for him and it would have been a steal in 2022.

I'll take Witherspoon and Murphy over Carter every sing day, not even a question.

Witherspoon reminds me of Carlton Gray but a little better but a little smaller.

Well no shit I'd take Murphy AND Witherspoon over Carter. The better question is: Would you take Carter and Murphy over Witherspoon and Murphy? And if we had Carter we may have not traded for Williams which means we would've had another 2nd rounder. Williams played good for us, but he's 30... he's HIGHLY unlikely to improve at this point. I guess the one good thing it did was entice MacDonald to come here because Williams has done 1 tech/5 tech/3 tech/NT, etc. lol.. and Witherspoon IMO can probably play every position in the secondary... so maybe that was the positive.

I'd still rather have Carter/Murphy than Witherspoon/Murphy.

Now, where I can extend an olive branch is a nickel DB is getting EXTREMELY valuable in the NFL given the heavy emphasis on passing. Nickel certainly requires a different skillset to play effectively and a lot of teams are snatching up wideouts that play the slot extremely well or just slide certain players over to that position.

Again I'm happy to eat crow on Witherspoon. I hated it, so far it's panned out, and as the league keeps evolving into pass first styles and slot keeps gaining attention, Witherspoon may have been the correct choice end of day. And I know Harold mentioned some injury and workout issues with Carter, but Witherspoon with his style of tackling and size.. IMO he's going to end up on the IR just as often... he was already out twice last year.

All said, I still go with the old philosophy. Get a QB, protect the QB, get to the other QB... that starts with the QB itself and the trenches...

Last edited: