• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He talked about how he almost retired last year.
I Know... I'll still be surprised if he actually does... A lot of money to leave on the table... Especially if you're that close to thinking about retirement...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Know... I'll still be surprised if he actually does... A lot of money to leave on the table... Especially if you're that close to thinking about retirement...
He might be at the point that rehabbing his injuries every year may not be worth it. He's made his money and might be close to being at peace retiring before his body completely breaks down.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That just shows how bad he was... He can't get a DC position... He has to be content with a positional coaching position...
Some guys are just suited to be that and nothing more. Hurtt a Dline coach, Norton a LB coach, etc. Promoting them to a D.C. out of some blind loyalty was just stupid on Pete's part and one of his biggest faults.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some guys are just suited to be that and nothing more. Hurtt a Dline coach, Norton a LB coach, etc. Promoting them to a D.C. out of some blind loyalty was just stupid on Pete's part and one of his biggest faults.

Every great coordinator was a positional coach before. It's obligatory to the ob.

Pete's defense got worse mainly because of Pete and the guys he picked to play defense.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every great coordinator was a positional coach before. It's obligatory to the ob.

Pete's defense got worse mainly because of Pete and the guys he picked to play defense.
I get that but what I was more referring to was that just like players, some guys have a ceiling. Just like coordinators that don't make good HCs. Spagnolo is the perfect example. HOF caliber DC but by his own admission just unable to take that to HC. We will see on MacDonald but I think he is like McVay/ Shanahan except on defense. Ryans has shown (albeit still early) that he can be that guy who can call the defense in game and let his OC do his thing.
As for Hurtt and Norton, they were good position group coaches but in over their head as coordinators. Norton basically just followed Pete's lead as DC but he was always a top notch LB coach and Hurtt tried to change the scheme to something we didn't have the right players to operate. And both were lost when it came to in-game adjustments. Personnel on the field played a huge part for sure as our talent has been lacking in a lot of key areas since the LOB but those two obviously had no imagination or ability to cover flaws. And Pete just got old and stubborn and couldn't or wouldn't see how bad they really were. My biggest beef with Pete over the last few years is that his optimism and enthusiasm basically became delusional as things were spiraling.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that but what I was more referring to was that just like players, some guys have a ceiling. Just like coordinators that don't make good HCs. Spagnolo is the perfect example. HOF caliber DC but by his own admission just unable to take that to HC. We will see on MacDonald but I think he is like McVay/ Shanahan except on defense. Ryans has shown (albeit still early) that he can be that guy who can call the defense in game and let his OC do his thing.
As for Hurtt and Norton, they were good position group coaches but in over their head as coordinators. Norton basically just followed Pete's lead as DC but he was always a top notch LB coach and Hurtt tried to change the scheme to something we didn't have the right players to operate. And both were lost when it came to in-game adjustments. Personnel on the field played a huge part for sure as our talent has been lacking in a lot of key areas since the LOB but those two obviously had no imagination or ability to cover flaws. And Pete just got old and stubborn and couldn't or wouldn't see how bad they really were. My biggest beef with Pete over the last few years is that his optimism and enthusiasm basically became delusional as things were spiraling.

I'm not looking to defend either Hurtt or Nortion but I feel that our defense was always Pete's defense. Whether it was Gus Bradley, Dan Quinn, Kris Richard, Ken Norton, Sean Desai, or Clint Hurtt.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's good. Kind of zeros us out for now on the cap. It does shift another $4-5M into next year but his dead cap next year is still only $13M (with this change). I don't know if he's worth $38M next year (projected cap hit) but he's DEFINITELY worth $26M this year.

It may be the plan is to start him this year and if Schneider likes a QB a little in the later rounds draft and groom, and then cut Geno in 2025. Or draft nobody and see how he performs. If he performs like he did in 2022, sign him for something a bit longer. If not, cut and draft.

Lot of people keep saying we need a QB and that's true, but I don't think it's as urgent of a need. We need to fix one of the worst defenses in the NFL that was a reason our offense performed poorly because our defense was a big reason we had the worst TOP in the NFL with a top 3 worst 3rd down conversion rate and the IOL. Geno and the offense still were almost top 10 in yards per attempt. And Geno missed 1.5 games and CLEARLY was not 100% the first few games back.

Last edited:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
salary cap went up 30m

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a interesting video where Daniel Jeramiah gives his takes on this draft.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a interesting video where Daniel Jeramiah gives his takes on this draft.

Some of his takes- McCarthy reminds him of Alex Smith but he doesn't consider him a upgrade over Geno per say. 2025 QB corp doesn't feel loaded but a couple of QBs could rise up. His latest mock has Seahawks taking Byron Murphy DT at pick 16.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought he was good at his job and agreed with a lot of what he speaks on.

As I've said before, though, is if JS really loves one of the QBs that he could get then I'm all for going for him. But if it is just a hope then build the trenches instead.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I've said before, though, is if JS really loves one of the QBs that he could get then I'm all for going for him. But if it is just a hope then build the trenches instead.
It's starting to look like he's going to continue riding Geno so to continue filling holes ( a chore that never really get's finished). My concern is that come 2026 at this time of year, when the bulk of the Seahawks core players are free agents and a reset has to occur the Seahawks won't have that QB of the future. All that draft capitol from the RW trade spent and back to square one with no answer at QB. If that happens and the Seahawks are still that fringe playoff team ( or worse that ALMOST fringe playoff team) then JS needs to be fired. I know I have said this before, but 2023 was the time to take that swing. Good QBs stay on teams for a dozen seasons, you use one season to get that QB( provided it is possible and the draft is strong at QB) and you can spend the next 11 seasons getting the roster right without worrying about the QB position. When RW got traded neither JS or Pete viewed Geno as the solution, obviously to me at least,the plan was to draft the QBOTF. If Geno was the plan they would of signed him on the cheap for multiple years from the get go.
The roster does need a lot, multiple players are FA's, some players are getting much to expensive and some players just aren't working out or at least not yet and some are coming off injuries. I actually think it will be a challenge to be a fringe playoff team much less improve on the 2023 team 9-8 record which according to JS "under performed".
Pete and JS should never have changed up the plan at replacing RW, never should of resigned Geno. I know it sounds good in the short term to
"restock the roster" at expense of the QB position and just get by with whatever at QB, but in the long term ( or medium term) having the QBOTF on a rookie contract in hand is the smarter way to go on a lot of different levels.
Obviously I'm obsessed with the topic of QBOTF, hopefully the Seahawks find one sooner than later.

Last edited:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Geno is basically going to be our QB this year I would like to trade down w/ our 1st if possible and pick up a 2nd rounder in doing so... I feel a huge need is LB and feel like we can grab a very good one in the 2nd (Marist Liufau/Edgerrian Cooper), while using our later 1st rounder to select a OL/DL option (BPA) - (Jordon Morgan, Jared Verse or Kris Jenkins with our first if available)...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Geno is basically going to be our QB this year I would like to trade down w/ our 1st if possible and pick up a 2nd rounder in doing so... I feel a huge need is LB and feel like we can grab a very good one in the 2nd (Marist Liufau/Edgerrian Cooper), while using our later 1st rounder to select a OL/DL option (BPA) - (Jordon Morgan, Jared Verse or Kris Jenkins with our first if available)...
I've seen several Seahawks mocks where they have the Seahawks trading down, so your not alone.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen several Seahawks mocks where they have the Seahawks trading down, so your not alone.
I kind of hope it'd be something like this:

1708812178815.png

Yah okay there's some C grades in there, but we fill all the major holes and maybe snag a steal in the 1st. I think we are okay at EDGE but I wouldn't mind having another... We'd still have to address safety but that beefs up the DL and gets us LBer help while also getting some immediate starting talent on the OL.

I can't stop taking Mahogany in my mock drafts and the more footage I watch I can't help myself. I think the guy has serious talent and it's a position we need so badly.