• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did not do this to free up $500K of cap this year.. we freed up $6M+.

Had they Cut Jamal they would have saved 8.5 million on his cap hit this year. Then had a dead cap hit of 9 million. The should have just cut him but once the season started that wasn't an option.

Pete and John both stated months ago they like to have 9 to 10 Million in space for in season signings.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chandler Jones is also unhappy in LV...

True but we're really set at EDGE IMO... Hall is back to practicing, Taylor came on last year, Mafe looked great, Nwosu... we got that covered.

I think honestly they're targeting Vea out of Tampa... He can 100% play NT, we did not bring in Reed to do that, Tampa is going to suck ass anyway this year... and he's literally a $6M or so cap hit. Our DL is so thin at the moment, we kind of got lucky with ILB since Brooks seems ready to go and Bush looked great in preaseason (also Drake Thomas was a steal).

I think that's what we're after... Vea would probably cost a 4th or 5th at this point... 3rd would be a bit of an overpay...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had they Cut Jamal they would have saved 8.5 million on his cap hit this year. Then had a dead cap hit of 9 million. The should have just cut him but once the season started that wasn't an option.

Pete and John both stated months ago they like to have 9 to 10 Million in space for in season signings.

No they did not... please show me where you have that figure from. I know a lot of sites are already updated with the move, but we in no way had $9M of dead cap this year on Adams, even if a post 6/1 cut because the post 6/1 cut gets spread over 2 years, not the remaining 3 on his contract... I am happy to eat crow if I'm wrong. I know you're pulling from Overthecap, I believe they've already updated the numbers. Spotrac did as well... I don't have screenshots of what it was prior.

9-10M in extra cap space is fine if that's a preference, I'll take your word on that because I've personally never heard John/Pete say that... just saying it's not really required right before the season starts.

Last edited:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but we're really set at EDGE IMO... Hall is back to practicing, Taylor came on last year, Mafe looked great, Nwosu... we got that covered.

I think honestly they're targeting Vea out of Tampa... He can 100% play NT, we did not bring in Reed to do that, Tampa is going to suck ass anyway this year... and he's literally a $6M or so cap hit. Our DL is so thin at the moment, we kind of got lucky with ILB since Brooks seems ready to go and Bush looked great in preaseason (also Drake Thomas was a steal).

I think that's what we're after... Vea would probably cost a 4th or 5th at this point... 3rd would be a bit of an overpay...
Good call... Vea would be awesome... But to your original point... They free'd up money for a reason... They're not going to just let 9 million sit on the books not allocated to anyone via a new signing, restructure, extension...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call... Vea would be awesome... But to your original point... They free'd up money for a reason... They're not going to just let 9 million sit on the books not allocated to anyone via a new signing, restructure, extension...

Yah, and also in defense of @Screamin12th , I actually don't know historically what Pete/John have liked available for cap heading into a season. It could be 100% for that... which Adams at this point is kind of one of your last cards to play in terms of freeing it up this year.

I just disagree that we only saved $500K by this move for this year... unless I'm massively misinterpreting something which I already asked screamin to call me out on.

Should be an interesting next few weeks. If the Rams slice us on the ground, I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade... I get Akers is decent, but the Rams wont have Kupp and their OL is not that good lol.. if Akers goes off, I wouldn't be surprised to see a move.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they did not... please show me where you have that figure from. I know a lot of sites are already updated with the move, but we in no way had $9M of dead cap this year on Adams, even if a post 6/1 cut because the post 6/1 cut gets spread over 2 years, not the remaining 3 on his contract... I am happy to eat crow if I'm wrong. I know you're pulling from Overthecap, I believe they've already updated the numbers. Spotrac did as well... I don't have screenshots of what it was prior.

9-10M in extra cap space is fine if that's a preference, I'll take your word on that because I've personally never heard John/Pete say that... just saying it's not really required right before the season starts.

They did say this in one of their Camp interviews! WTF LMAO they stated "we like to have 8 to 10 million in cap space just in case we want to bring someone in a vet or someone during the season incase of injury having that flexibility if someone is out there we like" I know I am not the ONLY one that heard this.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did say this in one of their Camp interviews! WTF LMAO they stated "we like to have 8 to 10 million in cap space just in case we want to bring someone in a vet or someone during the season incase of injury having that flexibility" I know I am not the ONLY one that heard this.

Not denying that at all, which is why I said in my post I'll take your word for it. Just because I don't recall that, it doesn't mean Carroll/Schneider didn't say that and someone else (you) heard it. We're all on the same team (like to think) so from my end screamin, you're just giving me some intel which I appreciate.

My argument was more on the whole Adams and cap discussion. :D

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not denying that at all, which is why I said in my post I'll take your word for it. Just because I don't recall that, it doesn't mean Carroll/Schneider didn't say that and someone else (you) heard it. We're all on the same team (like to think) so from my end screamin, you're just giving me some intel which I appreciate.

My argument was more on the whole Adams and cap discussion. :D

Oh in another thread I used OTC to post the numbers just the other day.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh in another thread I used OTC to post the numbers just the other day.

The problem is that you were applying the bonuses for next year incorrectly. They didn't just have $7.1 million in dead cap next year if they post-june 1 cut him, they had $14.2 million (7.1 for 2024's bonuses and 7.1 for 2025's bonuses). So, they're saving 6+ million this year by trading 6+ million in a possible cut next year,

That said, I dislike the idea of carrying that much dead money if a player is to be cut. This deal just pushes possible dead money further down the road, and that tends to get teams in trouble. The bill always comes due.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah, and also in defense of @Screamin12th , I actually don't know historically what Pete/John have liked available for cap heading into a season. It could be 100% for that... which Adams at this point is kind of one of your last cards to play in terms of freeing it up this year.

I just disagree that we only saved $500K by this move for this year... unless I'm massively misinterpreting something which I already asked screamin to call me out on.

Should be an interesting next few weeks. If the Rams slice us on the ground, I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade... I get Akers is decent, but the Rams wont have Kupp and their OL is not that good lol.. if Akers goes off, I wouldn't be surprised to see a move.
Waiting until week 2 to address the DL is a terrible look.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiting until week 2 to address the DL is a terrible look.

Agreed. I still think Reed at NT is suspect... Cam Young though is apparently good to go. Reed is still the starter but Cam Young was a big bodied run defender. He should see snaps tomorrow.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really curious to see how he does in real games. Could be a huge flop. Could be a monster possession guy.

Yah there's definitely a ceiling on him given he's not going to threaten defenses deep, but he has a good mentality from what I saw and read on the guy. He could eventually be a decent slot guy when JSN eventually moves to #2 (when Lockett hangs it up) and in the interim I think he can give Cody some good competition... and when we finally cut that bum Eskridge he'll probably see the field most certainly if any of the starting 3 get injured or we happen to show a 4 WR set.

He's currently listed as backup to Metcalf and while I'd think JSN would move to #1 in the event Metcalf is injured, he'd definitely be in contention for the #3 spot.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah there's definitely a ceiling on him given he's not going to threaten defenses deep, but he has a good mentality from what I saw and read on the guy. He could eventually be a decent slot guy when JSN eventually moves to #2 (when Lockett hangs it up) and in the interim I think he can give Cody some good competition... and when we finally cut that bum Eskridge he'll probably see the field most certainly if any of the starting 3 get injured or we happen to show a 4 WR set.

He's currently listed as backup to Metcalf and while I'd think JSN would move to #1 in the event Metcalf is injured, he'd definitely be in contention for the #3 spot.

If Bobo can get open like he did in preseason, then he's going to be a really productive player. If he was only getting open because the defenders he was playing against were generally scrubs, he'll be off the team when Eskridge comes off DL. It could go either way.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet Rashaad Penny is happy he signed with the Eagles..Only carried the ball 3x's in week 1, healthy scratch week 2 and then 0 snaps last night in week 3...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet Rashaad Penny is happy he signed with the Eagles..Only carried the ball 3x's in week 1, healthy scratch week 2 and then 0 snaps last night in week 3...

He's 4th on their depth chart which is really odd to me. He was a good back when healthy, little bit of an issue with blocking but that's not a reason to be barely on the team. I'm wondering if he's still dealing with injury issues.

Either way to your point, Seattle wasn't willing to resign him for pennies (no pun intended) on the dollar, so who knows.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 4th on their depth chart which is really odd to me. He was a good back when healthy, little bit of an issue with blocking but that's not a reason to be barely on the team. I'm wondering if he's still dealing with injury issues.

Either way to your point, Seattle wasn't willing to resign him for pennies (no pun intended) on the dollar, so who knows.
He had to run out of favor with the coaching staff or something... When healthy, he was productive...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, sort of hard to blame Philly right now with the way Swift is running the ball. It wouldn't surprise me if Penny finishes the season with a different team.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, sort of hard to blame Philly right now with the way Swift is running the ball. It wouldn't surprise me if Penny finishes the season with a different team.
I agree with that... But he's not even getting garbage time snaps...