• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Moves/News/Rumors/Discussion Thread

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is saying that the only way Huff gets benched is if the Giants have a different GM and Manager. Obviously, that isn't going to happen, and I think Boch and SabeySabes would be fine with Huff getting some splinters if he starts 2012 as poorly as 2011. This season better start soon. :yawn:

Heath expresses my snarky thoughts more eloquently than I do, evidently. :typing:

Thanks for the clarity!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK now I get it. But I'm with you, I don't care what Sbean or Bochy say in interviews today, if Huff kills us again like he did last year he's getting benched. They will give him plenty of time to play and figure it out, but they want to win games. And he's on his last year here so it's not like they have to worry about him being sad if he's benched.

This.

Remember, this is a GM who ate RoRo's contract last year. He won't flinch at benching Huffster if he becomes Suckster.

FWIW, I think Huff ends up 280/350/460 or an OPS+ of about 110.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

Remember, this is a GM who ate RoRo's contract last year. He won't flinch at benching Huffster if he becomes Suckster.

FWIW, I think Huff ends up 280/350/460 or an OPS+ of about 110.

I am not going to make a line prediction, but I do agree that there is a good chance we get an even year from Huff. He came into last year out of shape (bad on him, and he deserves no forgiveness for that) and he has the trend.

I see all these trade proposals on here trying dump him for a stick of bubblegum and I just scratch my head. He has the potential to be a SOLID 3, 4 or 5 hitter for us this year. You can't just give that away.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking on the topic of redemption, Barry Zito.

I think this is the year. The year he just does his thing and no one complains or praises his performances and he goes out and pitches the entire year as a solid 5th starter.

This is the way I see it, each offseason coming into a year with the Giants, there has been a ton of buzz surrounding him. 2007-First year of the big contract. 2008-Can he bounce back? 2009-Have Lincecum and Cain taken over as the aces? 2010-He better fucking bounce back. 2011-Well, he was left off the postseason roster so he'll be really mad and have a great fucking year. 2012-....He got married

I think Barry finds himself this year, pitching to a solid line over the whole year. And he will fly under the radar the entire year, which is the way it should be for him.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this is the year. The year he just does his thing and no one complains or praises his performances and he goes out and pitches the entire year as a solid 5th starter.

This is the way I see it, each offseason coming into a year with the Giants, there has been a ton of buzz surrounding him. 2007-First year of the big contract. 2008-Can he bounce back? 2009-Have Lincecum and Cain taken over as the aces? 2010-He better fucking bounce back. 2011-Well, he was left off the postseason roster so he'll be really mad and have a great fucking year. 2012-....He got married

I think Barry finds himself this year, pitching to a solid line over the whole year. And he will fly under the radar the entire year, which is the way it should be for him.

I will be ecstatic if, in this penultimate year of his mega-contract (his option year notwithstanding) he goes 10-10, pitches 180 innings, and has an ERA under 4.50.

Unfortunately, I fear that is all wishful thinking on my part.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be ecstatic if, in this penultimate year of his mega-contract (his option year notwithstanding) he goes 10-10, pitches 180 innings, and has an ERA under 4.50.

I don't think that too far fetched, his 2009/2010 weren't bad at all for a 5th starter type, 2011 was a lost cause. I think that line is feasible.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that too far fetched, his 2009/2010 weren't bad at all for a 5th starter type, 2011 was a lost cause. I think that line is feasible.

Unfortunately, his lifetime stats as a Giant include a W-L of 43-61, with an ERA of 4.55.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. A buddy and I were discussing this over lunch today. I'm thinking he takes the ball 32 times, gives us 180 innings of 4.50 ERA ball with a WHIP around 1.25 and a 9-9 record.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fucker; you beat me to it by a couple of hours....

:smash::smash:

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
San Francisco Giants Pitcher Matt Cain Puts House Up for Sale

San Francisco Giants pitcher Matt Cain has put his Noe Valley neighborhood house on the market, and he's asking for less than what it went for.

The remodeled four-bedroom home was put on the market for $1,795,000, which is $255,000 less than the 2008 price tag, according to a report in The Huffington Post.

The house was put on the market for $1,950,000 back in September 2011, but the price was reduced to $1,850,000 in October, per the Web site SocketSite.com.

Now it's been lowered even more.

The real estate company Redfin posted photos of the San Francisco house on their Web site.

The house has 2,628 square feet and features beautiful views of the Bay Area and lots of floor-to-ceiling windows. The kitchen has stainless steel appliances and large floor tiles. The rooms all appear to be quite spacious.

The real estate move comes as fans wonder whether Cain will be leaving the Giants. He's set to become a free agent at the end of the season.

"We'll see what's going to happen," Cain said, according to a report in the San Jose Mercury News. "We're definitely here for this year."

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco Giants Pitcher Matt Cain Puts House Up for Sale

San Francisco Giants pitcher Matt Cain has put his Noe Valley neighborhood house on the market, and he's asking for less than what it went for.

The remodeled four-bedroom home was put on the market for $1,795,000, which is $255,000 less than the 2008 price tag, according to a report in The Huffington Post.

The house was put on the market for $1,950,000 back in September 2011, but the price was reduced to $1,850,000 in October, per the Web site SocketSite.com.

Now it's been lowered even more.

The real estate company Redfin posted photos of the San Francisco house on their Web site.

The house has 2,628 square feet and features beautiful views of the Bay Area and lots of floor-to-ceiling windows. The kitchen has stainless steel appliances and large floor tiles. The rooms all appear to be quite spacious.

The real estate move comes as fans wonder whether Cain will be leaving the Giants. He's set to become a free agent at the end of the season.

"We'll see what's going to happen," Cain said, according to a report in the San Jose Mercury News. "We're definitely here for this year."

I'm not sure I'd read too much into that. Good posturing on his part, though. If he's about to sign a 5 yr / $100mm contract here, I would think he'd be looking to upgrade his digs.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I'd read too much into that. Good posturing on his part, though. If he's about to sign a 5 yr / $100mm contract here, I would think he'd be looking to upgrade his digs.

Didn't they recently have a kid? They're doing what all young SF couples do...moving to the suburbs where the school districts are better.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't they recently have a kid? They're doing what all young SF couples do...moving to the suburbs where the school districts are better.

School districts? Even if they do move to the burbs, their kids are going to private schools.

This news, while maybe not a big deal, is net negative for Giants fans.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
School districts? Even if they do move to the burbs, their kids are going to private schools.

This news, while maybe not a big deal, is net negative for Giants fans.

That's the thing; even the private preschools are better in the burbs. I'd bet that's why they're moving.

In other news: Christian DFA'd; Riot and Mota added. 40 man is full.

[MEDIA=twitter]167307131903672321[/MEDIA]

Last edited by a moderator:

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
(Sorry if this was already posted elsewhere) -

Why Brian Sabean didn’t re-sign Carlos Beltran

(John Storey/Special to The Chronicle)

John Shea from the ballpark . . .

In a comprehensive reply to why Carlos Beltran didn’t return to the Giants, general manager Brian Sabean provided what he called a “long-winded explanation, but this is exactly what our thinking was.”

Here goes.

“It ended up being a Rubik’s cube, which was very difficult for us to make a decision alone with a forever-changing time line.

“We wanted to bring Carlos back. One of the things we decided was that, in our scheme of how things were going to be set up, he was going to have to play left field. We thought he’d probably be in the two-year range. That would be in our comfort zone, and we identified really how much money we wanted to spend on him in that regard.

“The problem was, if he became the left fielder, we still had (Aubrey) Huff under contract. We still had (Brandon) Belt, who perhaps makes the team as the first baseman. In doing so, can you really juggle all that? And as you wait to sign Beltran . . . Beltran wasn’t going to sign just because we made a two-year offer for X amount of money. He was going to play the market. At the end of the day, we weren’t going to go to what the Cardinals went to money-wise ($26 million over two years), and we couldn’t wait that long.

“At the time, when we were deciding what the free-agent position opportunites were going to be, including him, we were exploring trade options, the (Jonathan)Sanchez/(Melky)Cabrera scenario, and also we did kick the tires early on with the (Angel) Pagan what-if.

“More so, we found we couldn’t do both. We couldn’t keep the pitching together and juggle what would be a cumbersome arbitration case with (Tim) Lincecum. And what nobody talks about, Willie (Brian Wilson) at the end of the year crashed and burned. We went conservative as far as his rehab. He wasn’t going to throw until Jan. 1, and our bullpen was one of our strengths over the last three years. And not knowing if Willie was going to be at full stretnth at the beginning of the year, how could we weaken that bullpen?

“A lot of factors applied. We saw that (Javier) Lopez and (Jeremy) Affeldt (both re-signed in the offseason) pitched in a lot of high-leverage situations, tied, up one run, up two runs. We didn’t want to break that up. We didn’t think (Dan) Runzler was ready to take over for one of them. Quite frankly, in our league, in our division, no matter how many runs you score, you’re going to be in one- and two-run games. In meetings and in gut-check-decision time, we felt there was no way we could compromise the pitching. There was no way we could weaken that spot.

“As it turned out, we think we were fortunate we were able to make the Pagan deal. We had sincere interest in Carlos. Whether it was him or anybody else, we didn’t want to be cut short. We weren’t going wait out that market. We ran that risk.”

Follow on Twitter @JohnSheaHey