• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Moves/News/Rumors/Discussion Thread

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. I TOTALLY missed that one.

:der:

I realize that on occasion I am a bit too deadpan, but I thought that one was pretty clear.

Really, is everything OK? Are you feeling well? Everything doing good at home?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that on occasion I am a bit too deadpan, but I thought that one was pretty clear.

He has been watching too much Warriors' basketball. It's a mind-fuck.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

LOL. I'm sick. I am working on a deadline. I have control of an entire youth soccer league AND I coach two teams in the league to boot. We are putting on a clinic the week before the season starts and I am trying to finalize the appearance of some local college coaches. I need to ride my bike at least 20 miles each day to feel like I have accomplished something physically. My wife complains that I don't spend enough time with the family.

He has been watching too much Warriors' basketball. It's a mind-fuck.

And Heath is right. I have been watching too much Warriors basketball.

Other than that, I'm great.

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Giants sign pitcher Ramon Ortiz
February 15, 2012, 1:51 pm

The Giants tweeted Wednesday afternoon that they have invited 11-year-veteran pitcher Ramon Ortiz to Spring Training:

"#SFGiants invite RHP Ramon Ortiz to Major League camp."

Ortiz, 39, pitched last season with the Chicago Cubs. He appeared in 22 games (two starts) and posted a 1-2 mark with a 4.86 ERA.

After spending his first six years with the Los Angeles Angels, he has spent the last five years with six different teams -- Cincinnati, Washington, Minnesota, Colorado, the Dodgers and the Cubs.

Ortiz's best year was in 2002, when he went 15-9 with a 3.77 ERA.

That season, he started against the Giants in Game 3 of the World Series and got the win with 5 IP, 5 H, 4 ER and 3 Ks. He gave up homers to Barry Bonds and Rich Aurilia in the Angels' 10-4 victory at then Pac Bell Park.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Giants tweeted Wednesday afternoon that they have invited 11-year-veteran pitcher Ramon Ortiz to Spring Training:

Ortiz, 39, pitched last season with the Chicago Cubs. He appeared in 22 games (two starts) and posted a 1-2 mark with a 4.86 ERA.

After spending his first six years with the Los Angeles Angels, he has spent the last five years with six different teams -- Cincinnati, Washington, Minnesota, Colorado, the Dodgers and the Cubs.

That season, he started against the Giants in Game 3 of the World Series and got the win with 5 IP, 5 H, 4 ER and 3 Ks. He gave up homers to Barry Bonds and Rich Aurilia in the Angels' 10-4 victory at then Pac Bell Park.

Looks like Bill Weed has his work cut out for him.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramon Ortiz was with us a couple years ago IIRC. He was our insurance guy. Never made it up though.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh. Might as well have been Russ Ortiz.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To throw BP no doubt.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Bill Weed has his work cut out for him.

I don't know about that. The bullpen locks to me seem to be:

1. Wilson
2. Romo
3. Lopez
4. Affeldt
5. Casilla

That leaves two openings and eight dudes (Hensley, Correa, Edlefsen, Mota, Otero, Runzler, Surkamp, Ortiz) competing for the final two spots.

I've got to figure Hensley is pretty close to a lock as is William Hemp. Surkamp and Ortiz end up in Fresno as AAA SP depth. It'll be interesting to see if they continue to stretch Runz out. Correa, Edlefsen and Otero to Fresno.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Wilson
2. Romo
3. Lopez
4. Affeldt
5. Casilla

That leaves two openings and eight dudes (Hensley, Correa, Edlefsen, Mota, Otero, Runzler, Surkamp, Ortiz) competing for the final two spots.

I've got to figure Hensley is pretty close to a lock as is William Hemp. Surkamp and Ortiz end up in Fresno as AAA SP depth. It'll be interesting to see if they continue to stretch Runz out. Correa, Edlefsen and Otero to Fresno.

Throw Hembree in there. I think Ortiz, Kamp, Runzler, Burress are the AAA rotation, Hembree closes. Mota/Hensley make ML club.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throw Hembree in there. I think Ortiz, Kamp, Runzler, Burress are the AAA rotation, Hembree closes. Mota/Hensley make ML club.

Hembree is a pretty long shot; they'd need to clear a 40 man space for him to be a middle/long reliever.

Not likely, unless Weez is hurt. Even then, I think they'd go to Romo or Casilla to close.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hembree is a pretty long shot; they'd need to clear a 40 man space for him to be a middle/long reliever.

Not likely, unless Weez is hurt. Even then, I think they'd go to Romo or Casilla to close.

I think what sf giants r the best meant was that Hembree should be included in the Triple-A staff.

Originally, you said (emphasis mine), "I've got to figure Hensley is pretty close to a lock as is William Hemp. Surkamp and Ortiz end up in Fresno as AAA SP depth. It'll be interesting to see if they continue to stretch Runz out. Correa, Edlefsen and Otero to Fresno.

Then he said, "Throw Hembree in there. I think Ortiz, Kamp, Runzler, Burress are the AAA rotation, Hembree closes. Mota/Hensley make ML club."

At least that's how I interpreted his statement. Hembree will be the closer at Fres-neck. And I agree. I think Hembree says in Fresno all year and learns in the top-level minors. If something drastic happens and injuries pile up, they may give him a chance, but I think multiple players would have to succumb to the injury bug first.

I also think that if he lights up the batters in the Pacific Coast League, the Giants would consider trading Wilson in the off-season.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Wilson
2. Romo
3. Lopez
4. Affeldt
5. Casilla

To me, 7 other relievers (including Hembree for argument's sake) vying for his spot in the bullpen seems like his work is cut out for him. He certainly has a leg up on the competition, and it is the mop-up role (who cares?), so I assume you are correct. However, I think he realizes that he better be somewhat impressive in his 8 spring training innings (if he gets that many).

Obviously, Ramon Ortiz doesn't put too much pressure on anyone, anymore, ever, but I would've thought that about Guillermo Mota two years ago, too. It would be a whole lot nicer if Runz could put it together, but I won't hold my breath.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what sf giants r the best meant was that Hembree should be included in the Triple-A staff.

Originally, you said (emphasis mine), "I've got to figure Hensley is pretty close to a lock as is William Hemp. Surkamp and Ortiz end up in Fresno as AAA SP depth. It'll be interesting to see if they continue to stretch Runz out. Correa, Edlefsen and Otero to Fresno.

Then he said, "Throw Hembree in there. I think Ortiz, Kamp, Runzler, Burress are the AAA rotation, Hembree closes. Mota/Hensley make ML club."

At least that's how I interpreted his statement. Hembree will be the closer at Fres-neck. And I agree. I think Hembree says in Fresno all year and learns in the top-level minors. If something drastic happens and injuries pile up, they may give him a chance, but I think multiple players would have to succumb to the injury bug first.

I also think that if he lights up the batters in the Pacific Coast League, the Giants would consider trading Wilson in the off-season.

Agreed on all points, Cam. I didn't read carefully enough. Hembree will be the Fresno closer and I agree on Weez being tradeable if Heath lights it up. The Beard is getting very expensive.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, 7 other relievers (including Hembree for argument's sake) vying for his spot in the bullpen seems like his work is cut out for him. He certainly has a leg up on the competition, and it is the mop-up role (who cares?), so I assume you are correct. However, I think he realizes that he better be somewhat impressive in his 8 spring training innings (if he gets that many).

Obviously, Ramon Ortiz doesn't put too much pressure on anyone, anymore, ever, but I would've thought that about Guillermo Mota two years ago, too. It would be a whole lot nicer if Runz could put it together, but I won't hold my breath.

Yeah, good points. I was a little out of it on codeine yesterday. I agree that Mota has some work to do and that he's got a leg up. Mostly, I meant what you said much more clearly: Ortiz won't be bringing any extra pressure.

Runz continues to tease...hope this year he makes it happen.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Say Wilson has a solid, healthy year next season, and Hembree continues to put up video game numbers in the minors. What do you want in return for Wilson?

Pitching prospects?
OF Prospects?
IF Prospects?
A player already in the ML?

Last closer that I can recall being traded with a year left on his deal was Capps, and he got Wilson Ramos straight up - but Weez is better than Capps any day of the week.