• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Moves/News/Rumors/Discussion Thread

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just like that, the Yankees are loaded in starting pitching.

Sabathia-Pineda-Kuroda-Nova-Hughes

And they got the Killer B's down in AAA ready for action. I think Hughes becomes expendable.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just like that, the Yankees are loaded in starting pitching.

Sabathia-Pineda-Kuroda-Nova-Hughes

And they got the Killer B's down in AAA ready for action. I think Hughes becomes expendable.

That certainly is better than any rotation that includes A.J. Burnett and Bartolo Colon (in their current states, of course). At the risk of having to take this back or being struck down by the Baseball Gods, the AL playoffs should be really good this year... that is, if they played baseball in the American League. What is that sport called anyway? Moneyball is already taken.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heath, aren't you the one married to the hot new wife? Weren't you the one who was abandoning the board for the pleasures of married bliss? Curious minds want to know.

Sincerely, Dr. Phil

:) Married life is spectacular! Luckily, I've still had some downtime at work. You won't hear from me from Wednesday to next Monday, though. Riviera Maya is calling our names... and right now my soccer league is calling me. Have a good one!

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:) Married life is spectacular! Luckily, I've still had some downtime at work. You won't hear from me from Wednesday to next Monday, though. Riviera Maya is calling our names... and right now my soccer league is calling me. Have a good one!

Nice! Enjoy! We will try our best not to let Sabes do anything stupid while you and the missus are gone.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice! Enjoy! We will try our best not to let Sabes do anything stupid while you and the missus are gone.

That's Sabey-Sabes, and you know it!

Heath, enjoy the downtime and your new bride. Me, I'll be counting down the days...33! Oh, OK, I admit --I may be a bit distracted on Sunday when I'm at the Stick.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heath, enjoy the downtime and your new bride. Me, I'll be counting down the days...33! Oh, OK, I admit --I may be a bit distracted on Sunday when I'm at the Stick.

I still am having a hard time believing that the Fortiners are in the NFC Championship game, let alone HOSTING it...

Gunna be weird rooting AGAINST the Giants at the 'Stick...

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still am having a hard time believing that the Fortiners are in the NFC Championship game, let alone HOSTING it...

Gunna be weird rooting AGAINST the Giants at the 'Stick...

THIS is what parity looks like. Some folks (like Jayson Stark) like to claim baseball has plenty of parity because there's been a lot of different WS winners lately, and even some churn in playoff teams.

But the NFL is the real deal. Teams like the 49ers come out of nowhere in just 1 year to be real contenders. That doesn't happen in MLB. Yes there's always a team that does surprisingly well (AZ last year, Cinci the year before, etc), but they don't really challenge for titles. The same 10 teams are never going to make it every year, and the same 10 teams are going to be in contention, and the middle 10 may move up or down a little.

Because of the draft being more meaningful in the NFL (top draft picks contribute right away not 2-3 years later), and the scheduling (bad teams get easier schedules, not true in MLB), and coaching mattering a LOT more in the NFL (proven by Harbaugh), and QBs basically being far more important to a team than any 1 MLB player (get a new QB, instant contender), injuries being more prevalent (lose your QB like Cutler, down you go), the salary cap, and so on...the NFL is really pretty wide open every year.

At the start of the year I (and most others) had to figure the Packers would be very strong in the postseason if not repeat champs. Instead, instant playoff exit, and all of the final 4 teams weren't in the Super Bowl any time in the last 3 years.

In baseball we know for sure that barring 2011 Giants-level injuries the Rangers, Yankees, Phillies, Angels, Red Sox (biggest spenders) are all going to the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, Cal, the Giants we love no longer play at the 'Stick....

But I get it! I think. :think:

Gotta remember, though...

I have not lived in the BA since '93 and have not been blessed by the Phonebooth yet.

When I think of the Giants playing at the 'Stick, I root for them.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS is what parity looks like. Some folks (like Jayson Stark) like to claim baseball has plenty of parity because there's been a lot of different WS winners lately, and even some churn in playoff teams.

But the NFL is the real deal. Teams like the 49ers come out of nowhere in just 1 year to be real contenders. That doesn't happen in MLB. Yes there's always a team that does surprisingly well (AZ last year, Cinci the year before, etc), but they don't really challenge for titles. The same 10 teams are never going to make it every year, and the same 10 teams are going to be in contention, and the middle 10 may move up or down a little.

Because of the draft being more meaningful in the NFL (top draft picks contribute right away not 2-3 years later), and the scheduling (bad teams get easier schedules, not true in MLB), and coaching mattering a LOT more in the NFL (proven by Harbaugh), and QBs basically being far more important to a team than any 1 MLB player (get a new QB, instant contender), injuries being more prevalent (lose your QB like Cutler, down you go), the salary cap, and so on...the NFL is really pretty wide open every year.

At the start of the year I (and most others) had to figure the Packers would be very strong in the postseason if not repeat champs. Instead, instant playoff exit, and all of the final 4 teams weren't in the Super Bowl any time in the last 3 years.

In baseball we know for sure that barring 2011 Giants-level injuries the Rangers, Yankees, Phillies, Angels, Red Sox (biggest spenders) are all going to the playoffs.

Packers...
Steelers...
49ers...
Cowboys...
Patriots...

I do not really agree that there is total parity in the NFL. For 50 years now, the NFL has been dominated by dynasties. Of the 45 Super Bowls, 16 of them have been won by only 3 different teams. 24 by 5 different teams. That seems a little top heavy to me.

As for the Niners coming out of nowhere, the team is STACKED with talent. The coaching has just been epically bad the last 10 years or so.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta remember, though...

I have not lived in the BA since '93 and have not been blessed by the Phonebooth yet.

When I think of the Giants playing at the 'Stick, I root for them.

Huh....what? You have not been to the Phonebooth?!?!? Travesty! Total injustice! Good Bonds, man, where have you BEEN?

I have been exiled in SoCal for 26 years, and I have a dozen games under my belt at the Phonebooth. Along with my wife, who grew up in SF going to games with her dad to see Mays, McCovey, Marichal and the rest.

I say filo authorizes us to take up a collection to get you to the Phonebooth pronto this season. And if your bosses give you any crap about it, we will hand that off to Sal and Luigi to take care of it for you. That is, unless you have joined former ESPN board member Psycho in prison....

:tea:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh....what? You have not been to the Phonebooth?!?!? Travesty! Total injustice! Good Bonds, man, where have you BEEN?

I have been exiled in SoCal for 26 years, and I have a dozen games under my belt at the Phonebooth. Along with my wife, who grew up in SF going to games with her dad to see Mays, McCovey, Marichal and the rest.

I say filo authorizes us to take up a collection to get you to the Phonebooth pronto this season. And if your bosses give you any crap about it, we will hand that off to Sal and Luigi to take care of it for you. That is, unless you have joined former ESPN board member Psycho in prison....

:tea:

If you promise to spend it on Giants baseball Cal, I will delete the next 4 months of dues. Don't misuse my trust.

:heh:

BTW, Psycho's in jail??? :confused2:

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If everything is on-time, we land in Phoenix for our 3-hour lay-over right around the beginning of the 4th quarter on Sunday. Fingers-crossed our flight has the game on the head-rests and the airport bars aren't too packed. Either way, thanks, I'm sure we'll have a great time. We're good at getting our money's worth from all-inclusive places.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sabey-Sabes makes stupid decisions?! ;) Thanks, Stokesy. Luckily (kind of), I think the Giants' off-season is enough over with that nothing dumb can be done. There isn't enough room left in the budget for bad decisions. :scared:

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I took my wife to Cancun for our 10-year anniversary. While we were there, Sabean signed Rowand. Let's just hope lightning does not strike twice.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took my wife to Cancun for our 10-year anniversary. While we were there, Sabean signed Rowand. Let's just hope lightning does not strike twice.

That is definitely a bad omen. I'll have no idea at the time, so a bad signing will be like a tree falling in a forest. Only, once I get back that tree will be transported on top of my TV. :director:

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That is definitely a bad omen. I'll have no idea at the time, so a bad signing will be like a tree falling in a forest. Only, once I get back that tree will be transported on top of my TV. :director:

I allowed myself 15 minutes a day to catch up on world happenings. Every morning I would grab the English language newspaper and read it before breakfast. That's where I found out about Rowand. Of course, I put the paper down, proceeded to swim from my back patio to the bar and had a bloody mary and some pancakes, so I survived.

Hope you have fun Heath.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have fun Heath! It's an awesome time in your life.....soak up every minute of it.

On to baseball though, just some interesting numbers to babble about (source = MLBTradeRumors.com) on Ex-Giants and current Giants paydays:

•The Royals announced arbitration deals with pitchers Luke Hochevar, Felipe Paulino, and Jonathan Sanchez. Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star pegs Hochevar at $3.51MM, Paulino at $1.9MM, and Sanchez at $5.6MM with $200K in performance bonuses.

The Mets avoided arbitration with outfielder Andres Torres on a deal worth $2.7MM, tweets Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork. Matt Swartz had projected $2.5MM for the ACES client. The Mets also avoided arbitration with reliever Ramon Ramirez, agreeing to a $2.65MM deal, tweets ESPN's Enrique Rojas. The ACES client was projected by MLBTR for a $2.3MM salary. The Mets finished up by announcing an agreement with Manny Acosta. Andy McCullough pegs that one at $875K.

The Giants avoided arbitration with reliever Santiago Casilla, agreeing to a $2.2MM deal with $200K in incentives, tweets Rojas. MLBTR had projected the ACES client for a $1.9MM salary.

Last edited by a moderator: