• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Off Season Entertainment

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My go to is ribeye.
Same, of course.
But a dry aged piece of many other cuts will rival a bag-o-beef ribeye anyday!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, 90% of steers are rated choice nowadays. Better breeding? I hardly think so.....

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't do dry aged.
Nothing about dry even sounds like a good steak.
I did a dry ages Rib Roast once wealthy friend bought it we too were unimpressed.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Sirloin could be tough
Cooking to medium rare and cutting against the grain can ensure "tough-ness" isn't an issue. Chuck is a good example. It's used for burgers because it's tasty but tough due to sinew tissue that breaks during grinding, but can make for really good tips when cooked to medium rare, then toughen up with longer cooking.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooking to medium rare and cutting against the grain can ensure "tough-ness" isn't an issue. Chuck is a good example. It's used for burgers because it's tasty but tough due to sinew tissue that breaks during grinding, but can make for really good tips when cooked to medium rare, then toughen up with longer cooking.
I said it could be tough and compared to Rib Eye., Filet or even Strip it can be. Sirloin for the most part to me is tasteless, it might be flavorful because mom and dad use to season the hell out of it. Then you have your first NY Strip and realize " Wait this is tender and has flavor" Shock sets in. Then you get a bone in Ribeye and realize of hell, Strip steak aint worth a shit!. Then your buddy invites you over for Filet Mignon because his Ole Lady is acting all Boushee Urban Dictionary: boushee, you come by for the filet and after one very tender bight you are bored with the cut of meat. You pretend not to offend his ole lady then invite him over for a ribeye, and tell him to leave the ole lady at home.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did a dry ages Rib Roast once wealthy friend bought it we too were unimpressed.
I only did dry aged steaks once, wanted to know what all the fuss was about.
They had good flavor and were tender enough, but they were dry.
And overpriced too.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it could be tough and compared to Rib Eye., Filet or even Strip it can be. Sirloin for the most part to me is tasteless, it might be flavorful because mom and dad use to season the hell out of it. Then you have your first NY Strip and realize " Wait this is tender and has flavor" Shock sets in. Then you get a bone in Ribeye and realize of hell, Strip steak aint worth a shit!. Then your buddy invites you over for Filet Mignon because his Ole Lady is acting all Boushee Urban Dictionary: boushee, you come by for the filet and after one very tender bight you are bored with the cut of meat. You pretend not to offend his ole lady then invite him over for a ribeye, and tell him to leave the ole lady at home.
My comment was only regarding the toughness factor. I agree with everything you have written throughout the thread. That's why I switched to chuck for my example instead of discussing the great flavor of sirloin.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only did dry aged steaks once, wanted to know what all the fuss was about.
They had good flavor and were tender enough, but they were dry.
And overpriced too.
Yeah you have to cook them for a shorter time than you are accustom to because the process of dry again wicks moisture from the meat.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My comment was only regarding the toughness factor. I agree with everything you have written throughout the thread. That's why I switched to chuck for my example instead of discussing the great flavor of sirloin.
I fucking love chuck fatty flavorful and can be tender when done correctly. I do poor mans' brisket all the time which is great.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the local butcher shop yesterday and saw they had Tomahawk cuts. I was talking with the butcher and he said the past cold, rainy, windy weekend left him overstocked because people were cancelling barbecues and other grill activities. I might go get some serious meat next weekend.