• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Of the significant programs that are down this year

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon is in some serious trouble. They've been limping along on the coaching tree of Chip Kelly. Their choice is either trying to find another chip kelly-like coach who's elite or switch to a more traditional type offense.

Coaching change for sure. They were out-recruited by Rutgers this year!!

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Chip Kelly really was the difference there.

His unique system put a lot of defenses to the test but he also benefitted greatly from UCLA and Stanford being the only PAC teams to provide any serious competition during his time as Ducks HC. USC (sanctions) and Washington (Drunk Sark ) were mediocre those years and never could provide them serious competition.

Ducks had a nice run, but their returning to natural form. They'll be competitive in the PAC, not a doormat thanks to Uncle Phil's wallet, but not elite either.

VTgator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which ones are just having a temporary blip and which ones have real cracks in the foundation? The candidates:
Notre Dame
Michigan State
Oregon
Stanford
Southern Cal
Texas
fsu

(LSU fired their coach so that's a given)

Notre Dame - Crack
Michigan State - Blip
Oregon - Crack
Stanford - Blip
Southern Cal - Crack
Texas - Crack
FSU - Barely a blip; shouldn't even be mentioned.
LSU - Blip

Gopherfan84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say Stanford and Florida St. are the only blips on that list. The others are all cracks.

VTgator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say Stanford and Florida St. are the only blips on that list. The others are all cracks.

disagree. Over the past eight years, Michigan State went 80-27 (.748), with five 11+ win seasons. They need to string a few poor seasons together, ala Texas, Florida, VT, Michigan pre-Harbaugh or FSU during their Lost Decade to see cracks.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We say the same things about Southern Cal and Texas: all they need is a decent coach, because they always get a ton of local talent without really trying too hard. So Cal had the sanctions to deal with, too, but those are over now. Insert the right guy who's an aggressive recruiter and above average game coach, and they're back.

Texas is probably thinking Strong isn't "that guy" for them, but I think they should stick it out. Give him the full five years and see what he can do.

Texas will win 10 games next year, regardless of who is coaching.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching change for sure. They were out-recruited by Rutgers this year!!
I meant try to find an elite spread coach (which is, I think, tough to do) or switch to a coach that runs a more traditional offense with some spread elements. Either way, their current coach is toast.

Gopherfan84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
disagree. Over the past eight years, Michigan State went 80-27 (.748), with five 11+ win seasons. They need to string a few poor seasons together, ala Texas, Florida, VT, Michigan pre-Harbaugh or FSU during their Lost Decade to see cracks.

The Michigan St. defense has now been in decline for a couple of seasons and that's what carried them to many of those wins. My gut tells me that's more than a blip.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame - Cracked...... I don't see Kelly staying after next season in South Bend

Michigan State- Blip... Changing off the guard, they rebound and chaos is given back

Oregon- Cracked .......But they don't/wont cash in the $11million to Helfrich

Stanford- Blip...... Shaw will get them back on track

Southern Cal- Cracked...... It goes back to Petersen, if they took him serious/landed him they would be playoff bound..

Texas- Blip if they leave Charlie alone and let him continue....

fsu- Cracked in Jimbo leaves for LSU, if he's committed to FSU a blip....

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you like football and nachos? :eyebrows:
956.gif

"its a trap nappy"

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU is down because recruiting has sucked. If they could bring in someone to evaluate talent they can get a lot of the players they want.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Stanford's recruiting keeps going down hill .... this is NOT a blip.
They're in a similar situation as Oregon, only I believe Stanford can better develop average football players.

Still ... Stanford won't keep competing if they can no longer bring in the horses.

VTgator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Michigan St. defense has now been in decline for a couple of seasons and that's what carried them to many of those wins. My gut tells me that's more than a blip.

Your gut may be right, but I'm not so sure. Since 2011, MSU's defense was ranked 6th, 4th, 2d, 8th, and 26th. Currently, it is ranked 38th in the nation. This is indeed a downward trend, but I'm not sure if it the mark of a crack in the program. if the crack widens with another dismal season this year and next, then I think your gut may prove to be correct. Just need more time to see if this a team issue or a program issue...