• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Of the significant programs that are down this year

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which ones are just having a temporary blip and which ones have real cracks in the foundation? The candidates:
Notre Dame
Michigan State
Oregon
Stanford
Southern Cal
Texas
fsu

(LSU fired their coach so that's a given)

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame is just having a bad season... bad year for the defense and bad coaches.

So Notre Dame: Blip

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the Gamecocks listed

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the coach is in trouble it is a crack
Notre Dame
Oregon
Southern Cal
Texas

If the coach is not in trouble of losing his job, a blip. Not to mention, the teams will probably still go to a bowl game anyway unless a total collapse
Stanford
Michigan State
Florida State

Other hot seats
Oklahoma there are unhappy rumblings about the stoopses in oklahoma
Arizona
UCLA
Kentucky
Arkansas I think the act is wearing thin, Beilema better start having 10 win seasons soon
Rice
Purdue
Kansas
Penn State

If the coach is in year 1 and year 2, still on the Honeymoon, but there had better be improvement showing

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the coach is in trouble it is a crack
Notre Dame

It will be hilarious, and I mean gut-bustin', if ND fires yet another coach after giving him another huge extension.

And TBH, I don't think they should. Teams have bad years; Kelly has done pretty well overall in his 7 seasons there, when you take into account that the landscape of CFB has changed dramatically since 1988.

Facts: they are a teenie tiny little private catholic school in the middle of BFE, they should lower expectations to 8-win seasons and minor-to-NYD bowl games. The Irish will never be as nationally prominent as they were. And they're going to regret that scheduling agreement with the ACC real soon, if not already.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of those on your list, Texas and USC have down for a LONG time now and Oregon is about to join them. Unless the Ducks do something major, they will turn into a bottom dweller in the Pac North.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of those on your list, Texas and USC have down for a LONG time now and Oregon is about to join them. Unless the Ducks do something major, they will turn into a bottom dweller in the Pac North.

We say the same things about Southern Cal and Texas: all they need is a decent coach, because they always get a ton of local talent without really trying too hard. So Cal had the sanctions to deal with, too, but those are over now. Insert the right guy who's an aggressive recruiter and above average game coach, and they're back.

Texas is probably thinking Strong isn't "that guy" for them, but I think they should stick it out. Give him the full five years and see what he can do.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We say the same things about Southern Cal and Texas: all they need is a decent coach, because they always get a ton of local talent without really trying too hard. So Cal had the sanctions to deal with, too, but those are over now. Insert the right guy who's an aggressive recruiter and above average game coach, and they're back.

Texas is probably thinking Strong isn't "that guy" for them, but I think they should stick it out. Give him the full five years and see what he can do.

Yeah, I'd say the same thing. Get the right guy in at either of those schools and they'll be back in no time. Of the other schools.. just like you said, ND is not going to do any better than they are now. Location and other factors limit recruiting too much. Oregon is on their way down... there's just no other way to say it. They'll be lucky if they win one more game this year and they will likely not be ranked next year either.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which ones are just having a temporary blip and which ones have real cracks in the foundation? The candidates:
Notre Dame
Michigan State
Oregon
Stanford
Southern Cal
Texas
fsu

(LSU fired their coach so that's a given)
I love not being on this list for once.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon is on their way down... there's just no other way to say it. They'll be lucky if they win one more game this year and they will likely not be ranked next year either.

I guess Chip Kelly really was the difference there.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'd say the same thing. Get the right guy in at either of those schools and they'll be back in no time. Of the other schools.. just like you said, ND is not going to do any better than they are now. Location and other factors limit recruiting too much. Oregon is on their way down... there's just no other way to say it. They'll be lucky if they win one more game this year and they will likely not be ranked next year either.
Oregon is in some serious trouble. They've been limping along on the coaching tree of Chip Kelly. Their choice is either trying to find another chip kelly-like coach who's elite or switch to a more traditional type offense.

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon is in some serious trouble. They've been limping along on the coaching tree of Chip Kelly. Their choice is either trying to find another chip kelly-like coach who's elite or switch to a more traditional type offense.

It's tough to win consistently when you lack a natural recruiting base. Therefore Oregon has to consistently beat out nearby big boy programs for higher rated recruits or like with mariota, they have to consistently find guys who flew under the radar. That's a tall order.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame
Michigan State
Oregon
Stanford
Southern Cal
Texas
fsu

Notre Dame - I'd say crack. For whatever reason, they just don't seem to live up to expectations and when it keeps happening, it's usually on the coach.

Oregon - Hard to say if it's a crack or a blip. No matter how successful a program is, or how good the coach, all programs eventually have a down year or 2. This is their first truly down year since their run of success began.

Stanford - Blip. I think Harbaugh set them on the right path and Shaw is the right coach to continue it. They're just young in the wrong places.

USC - For now, I'm saying blip. Like Stanford, we are young in the wrong places (especially considering the schedule) and Helton is trying to change from the pass heavy offense that we had under Kiffin/Sark to a more physical, balanced, run first approach that we've had when we've been in the NC hunt. If I continue to see improvement, it's a blip. If not, it becomes a crack. At the very least, having an actual adult as head coach is nice.

Texas - Probably a crack. Defense is what Strong hangs his hat on and Texas doesn't have one. You'd think that with him being a defensive coach, if they were going to struggle, it would be on offense.

FSU - Don't really care. lol