• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

O.T. State the last movie you watched and rate it

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Shining (1980): 2.5/5 stars. You can hardly call it an adaptation of the novel, of which I gave 4/5 stars, but in steering away from the story, it did have some cool elements, notably "Here's Johnnyyyyyy." Still, the novel was much better, and I can see why Stephen King himself was very disappointed with the "adaptation." A completely different ending, less focus on Jack's alcoholism, and the portrayal of Danny was awful.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Shining (1980): 2.5/5 stars. You can hardly call it an adaptation of the novel, of which I gave 4/5 stars, but in steering away from the story, it did have some cool elements, notably "Here's Johnnyyyyyy." Still, the novel was much better, and I can see why Stephen King himself was very disappointed with the "adaptation." A completely different ending, less focus on Jack's alcoholism, and the portrayal of Danny was awful.
For those of us too lazy to read a complete Stephen King novel, the movie was pretty good. I've never read any of his books but I've seen several movies. What did you think of some of the other movie adaptations? I always hear people say "the book was better" about almost every movie, but I'm too lazy to read a bunch of books so I am never sure if they are bullshitting me or not.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Place Beyond The Pines: 2/5 stars. How does a movie with Ryan Gosling, Ben Mendehlson, Dane DeHaan, Ray Liotta, and Bradley Cooper become so emotionally devoid? The film was split into three parts. I liked them best in the order they appeared: 1 (Gosling and Mendehlson), 2 (Cooper and Liotta), and 3 (DeHaan and Cooper). Kind of disappointing.
I think I saw that one. Is that the one where they sell Christmas trees?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of us too lazy to read a complete Stephen King novel, the movie was pretty good. I've never read any of his books but I've seen several movies. What did you think of some of the other movie adaptations? I always hear people say "the book was better" about almost every movie, but I'm too lazy to read a bunch of books so I am never sure if they are bullshitting me or not.
You lazy motherfucker; all of you Millennials drive me crazy. Us Generation X'ers (and no, not ecstasy you pill head) understand that the true nuances of art and drama can only be espoused through the written word; not the pretentious CGI images strung up on the screen that you soak in like the Sunny D "juice" your parents gave you growing up. Maybe get a job, get a house, read a book, or do something you lazy, stupid fucking teenager!

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would recommend the book. I, too had issues reading because of my ADHD, and I can see how dyslexia would deter you from buying a book. Fear not! For $13.95 a month, you can have an Audible subscription, and start writing reviews like me in no time!

Customer Reviews | Audible.com

(The Shining review is forthcoming)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But seriously, if you do ever purchase a Stephen King book, read the Gunslinger, the first book in the Dark Tower series. I just got it from Audible on Friday and am already a quarter through it. So far, nothing is that exciting, but there is a movie adaptation of it in 2017 starring Idris Elba (Stringer Bell) as the protagonist and Matthew fucking McConaughey as the villain.

The Dark Tower (2017 film) - Wikipedia

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But seriously, if you do ever purchase a Stephen King book, read the Gunslinger, the first book in the Dark Tower series. I just got it from Audible on Friday and am already a quarter through it. So far, nothing is that exciting, but there is a movie adaptation of it in 2017 starring Idris Elba (Stringer Bell) as the protagonist and Matthew fucking McConaughey as the villain.

The Dark Tower (2017 film) - Wikipedia
Holy shit, that sounds awesone-I will definitely see that............but I probably won't read the book

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, that sounds awesone-I will definitely see that............but I probably won't read the book
Have you seen the trailer to MM's newest movie? It looks kind of stupid, but I have faith

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you seen the trailer to MM's newest movie? It looks kind of stupid, but I have faith
I have not...but I have faith as well........unless it is some kind of romantic comedy

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'll be watching that. But what is going on with his hair? I thought the rule was any role that he was up for that involved not having a full head of hair was given to Woody Harrelson

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'll be watching that. But what is going on with his hair? I thought the rule was any role that he was up for that involved not having a full head of hair was given to Woody Harrelson
I like Harrelson, but I think MM is a much more talented actor

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad Lieutenant: 3.5/5 stars. After Ced posted that clip, I just had to watch it. The first hour had me going "WTF" but the last 30 minutes was purely awesome cinema. Harvey Keitel is a great actor, and this is his best performance, yes, even better than his performance in Pulp Fiction IMO. The way he appeared high, and his crying scene at the end of the movie were truly awesome acting. It doesn't get much better than that from an actor.

I didn't like the first hour because Keitel's character was just basically an irredeemable piece of shit, and I thought he was going to stay that way the rest of the movie.
But his redemption at the end was perfect. It really became a Catholic/Christian based film.

I'll have to check the CNS' (Catholic News Service) rating on the film. They rate every movie on how moral it is. The worst rating is "O," or morally offensive. Here is their classification of that:

"This classification is applied, most importantly, to films that deny the existence of God, ridicule religious faith or are otherwise sacrilegious. Movies that directly contradict scriptural values and church teaching on such matters as euthanasia, abortion, suicide, adultery, homosexual activity or vigilante killing and revenge also fall into this category. So, too, do films that feature excessive violence, gratuitous or exploitative sexuality or, for no artistically valid reason, non-stop vulgarity."

This movie better not get an O

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF

• Bad Lieutenant -- Rancid melodrama about the crackup of a New Nork City police detective (Harvey Keitel) who's over his head in gambling debts, drugs and sex, all of which is compounded by self-pity and a warped sense of moral guilt. Director Abel Ferrara's disjointed exercise in the emotional turbulence of going over the edge lacks credibility and leads nowhere. Excessive violence, graphic sex, substance abuse and rough language. (O) (NC-17) 1992

Leads nowhere? Did you watch the last half hour of the fucking film?????

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the official rating criteria

A-I -- general patronage;
A-II -- adults and adolescents;
A-III -- adults;
L -- limited adult audience, films whose problematic content many adults would find troubling. L replaces the previous classification, A-IV.
O -- morally offensive.

Some more from all of our favorite films

• GoodFellas -- The heady rise -- and eventual downfall -- of three Brooklyn hoods (Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci) are shown from one gangster's warped point of view in this fact-based story spanning 30 years. Director Martin Scorsese synthesizes flowing cinematography, an eye for details and commanding performances into a chilling re-creation of the empty glamor, endless greed and sick violence that characterizes mob life. Much graphic violence and rough language. (A-IV) (R) ( 1990 )

• Pulp Fiction -- Ultraviolent tale of vicious killers and assorted lowlifes (notably John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, Uma Thurman, Tim Roth and Amanda Plummer) whose paths murderously intersect during a 24-hour period in Los Angeles. Writer-director Quentin Tarantino finds much slick, cynical humor and a twisted code of honor among characters for whom life is cheap and crime is a profitable lark. Much gory violence and positive depictions of drug use, a homosexual r*pe, fleeting nudity, many racial slurs and much rough language. (O) (R) ( 1994 )

and then not one of our (my?) favorites

• The Passion of The Christ -- Unflinching dramatization of the final agonizing hours of the earthly life of Jesus Christ (Jim Caviezel), from the Garden of Gethsemane to his crucifixion and resurrection, intercut with flashbacks to his childhood and public ministry. Although the film's brutality poignantly conveys the depth of Christ's love by showing him freely enduring such extreme agony for the redemption of all sinners, the graphic nature of the raw visuals is played to diminishing returns. Following the basic outline of the Gospel Passion narratives, director Mel Gibson embroiders his interpretive retelling of Scripture with extrabiblical sources as well as his own imagination, to craft an at times profoundly moving movie which succeeds in stripping Christ's sacrificial suffering of its Sunday school sugar-coating. While it is the film's assertion that responsibility for Christ's torture and death rests squarely with the Roman authorities, and away from the collective Jewish populace, the movie presents a historically skewed depiction of the Temple elite's sway with their imperial overlords. Subtitles. Gory scenes of torture and crucifixion, a suicide and some frightening images. A-III -- adults. (R) 2004

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF

• Bad Lieutenant -- Rancid melodrama about the crackup of a New Nork City police detective (Harvey Keitel) who's over his head in gambling debts, drugs and sex, all of which is compounded by self-pity and a warped sense of moral guilt. Director Abel Ferrara's disjointed exercise in the emotional turbulence of going over the edge lacks credibility and leads nowhere. Excessive violence, graphic sex, substance abuse and rough language. (O) (NC-17) 1992

Leads nowhere? Did you watch the last half hour of the fucking film?????
Did you notice that they changed the outcome of the NLCS? I haven't seen the movie in a while but I'm pretty sure the Dodgers won that series in real life but they made the Mets win it in the movie. (I guess so they could make Keitel's character even more of a lowlife by having him root against the home team)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you notice that they changed the outcome of the NLCS? I haven't seen the movie in a while but I'm pretty sure the Dodgers won that series in real life but they made the Mets win it in the movie. (I guess so they could make Keitel's character even more of a lowlife by having him root against the home team)
Yes, and I don't think it went 7 games either.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This looks Pope, I mean dope