• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

O.M.G.....the best qb in the league has been released

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tell you what, after the presser today, I'm not wondering if the Bears ARE going to keep Jay. That was a real shaky response by Fox with regards to Jay, today...
Not really... it was the same type of "NON-talk" we always hear in February. We will know soon enough.

I still don't see a reason to cut or trade him. The questions are too big.
1. For WHO? Who would be playing QB in Chicago?
2.The money is already on the books... If they cut him they still owe him $15.5 million next year. And the cap hit for the QB that's not even playing hurts. (it's not like you can use that money for the Defense)
I think of it like this: Would you pay Sanchez or any of the journeyman 18-20 Million? Cause you are going to sign him to say 4-5M for one year... PLUS what you owe Jay... That's a lot of cap space to eat for one position.
3. Yes you get out of the rest of the contract moving past next year...but for what? There is no Andrew Luck waiting to be drafted in 2016. I'm very nervous of another 15-20 years of Cade McNown, Rex Grossman, Craig Krenzel, Kyle Orton, Steve Stenstrom, Moses Morano...etc. People want to say it will make us better....but what did having a good defense and NO QB get us before? Nothing. That's the path your are electing to go down if you get rid of him now. There's no guarantee that "franchise QB" will ever be there.
4. The argument I've heard from Sports radio has been- well some of these QB starved teams will see Jay and trade for him... That's fine and all, but what does that make Chicago than?... a QB starved TEAM! You would be electing to join that group that needs a QB. (we've all seen the current market of FA's and draftees....no thanks)
5. I believe that Fox can improve the Defense (which is our #1 problem by leaps and bounds) He's done it in his first year in both teams he's been HC.
So after next year of some growing pains on defense, the 2nd year will be ready to compete for a PO spot. Will your rookie QB be ready? Will our journeyman stop gap be any better?
I think Gase can get more out of the OLINE and running game. (it's cheaper to find OL and RB's and we can use em up no worries) build a strong running game and better defense- add a speed threat to keep DB's honest on our big WR's and 2016 is a strong contending year. Do that with a "nobody" QB or rookie and it's still 2-3 away.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Joey, the issue is not whether you just cut him or not. It's whether you trade him by the third day of the new league year, because the cap hit is only 4 million.

If one of the "qb starved" teams is dumb enough to trade for him, do it. They will still be qb starved after they make the trade. Chalk another one up to the new NFL where you have to show you are doing something...anything...just doing something. Even if bad. Let then make that mistake if they want, he wouldn't be our problem any more, and we could get back on the road to trying to. Hold a championship franchise.

Gase isn't an idiot, he can see this is the issue as well. He is smarter than emery in not unilaterally sucking down the Cutler spooge.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gase has a problem. He wont have payaton manning anymore, but he has a guy that thinks he should be given the reigns of the offense like manning was. If the Gase system is based on reads and audibles, then they better get Martellus Bennett on point and lined up while the mic is still active to cutler. That is part of the key to brady and payatons success, having time to read the defense, not snapping with 1 second on the play clock when lineman and linebackers know its time to go. Quick formations to slow or eliminate the chance for the other team to rotate linemen.

I would just like to take out the "another new system for Cutler" argument. When do you decide that its not the new system its the guy? Undoubtedly, Cutlers best years in chicago was when he had no option to audible. First years in systems have not been bad. First with Martz, first with Tresty, big numbers throttled down by injury.

As far as the best argument to keep him, it would be much better for this team to eat Allens 12.5, you cannot eat them both. Cutler can easily throw in a system with a speed receiver and get 40-50 TD's if the weather cooperates. Cutty needs to understand that just because play 2-5 being running plays dont work the first series or two, it does not change the fact that they might work plays 30-35 when the other team is tiring.

Bottom line, fix the defense, allow Cutler to play with the lead and the mistakes will decrease. Knowing you can throw that third down ball away because the other team is not damn near guaranteed to score will do more to fix cutty. The interceptions are gonna happen, there is no doubt, Cutler has the arm but not as much accuracy as people give him credit for. You get a bear defense that wont cave when that happens we will be fine. But that leads to character too. If cutler keeps the dont give a shit look on his face, maybe the defense does not have his back.

Thats always gonna be the bottom line. Cutty congratulating the defense for covering his ass when they come off the field is what has to change.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joey, the issue is not whether you just cut him or not. It's whether you trade him by the third day of the new league year, because the cap hit is only 4 million.
Yes... trade. The cap is only 4. CUT and you owe him $15.5

If one of the "qb starved" teams is dumb enough
That's your BS. Stop that. Your mind is made up...I get it- it's like you're a anti-vaxxer or global warming denier.
to trade for him, do it. They will still be qb starved after they make the trade.
Oh, so clever how you equate a team with Cutler as "qb starved"

Chalk another one up to the new NFL where you have to show you are doing something...anything...just doing something. Even if bad. WHAT?

Let then make that mistake (he thinks cutler is a mistake- we get it) if they want, he wouldn't be our problem (again claiming he's the problem) any more, and we could get back on the road to trying to. Hold a championship franchise.
What does that mean? Cali- I don't think you really know what that means.

Gase isn't an idiot, he can see this is the issue as well.
In this sentence Cali wants everyone to believe that a "smart" person would see the way he does about Cutler. What if you're wrong Cali... What if Gase sees what I do... and also compares Jay to the other available options. Jay wins.
Also if Gase isn't an idiot... is he going to be closer to a HCing job with any of those others? No chance.

He is smarter than emery in not unilaterally sucking down the Cutler spooge.
And we are back to middle school. Thanks internet Cali... I haven't had my dose of homophobia and graphic imagery yet today.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really... it was the same type of "NON-talk" we always hear in February. We will know soon enough.

2.The money is already on the books... If they cut him they still owe him $15.5 million next year. And the cap hit for the QB that's not even playing hurts. (it's not like you can use that money for the Defense)
I think of it like this: Would you pay Sanchez or any of the journeyman 18-20 Million? Cause you are going to sign him to say 4-5M for one year... PLUS what you owe Jay... That's a lot of cap space to eat for one position.

Actually, interesting contract point... If the Bears cut Cutler, and he signs with another team for a contract worth more than $15 mil (not year but entire contract), the Bears won't owe Cutler anything and he won't count towards a cap hit.

I was in the " I can't see the Bears not having Jay next year " camp, but the noise out of Fox and company is sounding a bit ambiguous, not at all Jay positive. This has me rethinking what the Bears are going to do...

C

cubzzzfanincali

the problem....I think...is that if we cut him flat out, in the hopes some other team will pick him up before Day 4 of the new league year...is that some other team can just wait until after Day 3 goes by and we wind up with the cap hit. They could just negotiate something more along the lines of what they'd actually want anyway at that point. It seems to me that the Bears shouldn't take that chance. Either they guarantee themselves of a major cap savings by trading him, or they should probably keep him. Just cutting him and hoping someone jumps on him right away seems like a dicey gamble.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget that they hired- both Dowell Loggains and Gase.
From ESPN Chicago: "According to multiple sources, Cutler started to grow close to Gase after spending considerable time with him at the wedding of former Bears QB coach Shane Day. Even Martz tried to hire Gase as QB coach back in 2010, but Denver wouldn't allow him out of his contract at the time. Cutler has wanted to work with Gase for a long time.... Both Cutler and Loggains have wanted to work together for quite some time as well...going all the way back to his days at Vandy."

While this is not rock solid evidence of Cutler returning or being a long term fixture. I can say it's not like they went the other way and hired guys that didn't want to work with him.
It also points out (to me) that Jay isn't the asshole that some want to point him out to be... Why would a former QB coach, who we all know was "killed" by the "coach killer" invite him to his wedding?

C

cubzzzfanincali

probably, you are right Joey, this is why I doubt Cutler is going anywhere. Of course, there is a pretty obvious alternative, given the many ruthless examples of things like this in league history. Loggains may have been hired as a guy to suss out Cutler's head for informational purposes. If the team doesn't like Loggains' report, it's hardly not worth the money to them to give him a fat reward check and let him work for a season.

Wouldn't be the first time. Not saying that's going on here, but not saying it isn't.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna need to see those many ruthless examples you speak of please?

Last edited:

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Cali... From Dan Hampton- Jan. 29, 2015. (How did this interview escape me?)
“I would have gave anything to have him on our team,” Hampton says. “You give us Jay Cutler back in our day, not only do we win five Super Bowls in a row, but we don’t lose a game. Mark that down. If we had Jay Cutler – forget the Super Bowl: We don’t lose a game.”
Thanks Danimal... hmm wonder why that interview wasn't picked up by the national media?

C

cubzzzfanincali

I like Dan Hampton. Not just as a football player, but as a guy. I respect Dan Hampton a lot, but he's wrong on this. That's cool. There are many people who think Cutler is the cat's meow. There are others who don't. I am among those who don't. Of course my opinion doesn't matter to shit, it is Halas Hall's that matters. Funny thing is I actually agree with you that he probably will not be traded, that he probably is going to be our 2015 QB. I just don't agree that it is a good thing.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Cali... From Dan Hampton- Jan. 29, 2015. (How did this interview escape me?)
“I would have gave anything to have him on our team,” Hampton says. “You give us Jay Cutler back in our day, not only do we win five Super Bowls in a row, but we don’t lose a game. Mark that down. If we had Jay Cutler – forget the Super Bowl: We don’t lose a game.”
Thanks Danimal... hmm wonder why that interview wasn't picked up by the national media?

This is one of my "I wonder what he really thinks behind closed doors".

He most likely said that to keep up Jay`s moral.

Nothing more,nothing less.

Jimmy Mac had more leadership and garnered more respect than Jay has in his left foot.

And btw.........jay most likely will be here next season.:ballchain:

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of my "I wonder what he really thinks behind closed doors".

He most likely said that to keep up Jay`s moral.

Nothing more,nothing less.

Jimmy Mac had more leadership and garnered more respect than Jay has in his left foot.

And btw.........jay most likely will be here next season.:ballchain:

I don't agree that Hampton is involved enough to give one rats ass about Jay's morale, nor is Jay looking for some old Bears to stick up for him. Jay has talent, no one denies it, Hampton sees it. Jay makes better passes than Jimmy Mac and with one of the best O lines in Bears history, Jay could have sat back there and picked teams apart who had to respect Walter's running. Also, with the massive personalities on the Mid 80's Bears, Jimmy Mac had very little to do with leadership of the entire team. The Bears of the 80's was a split team, especially while Buddy Ryan was there.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Dan Hampton. Not just as a football player, but as a guy. I respect Dan Hampton a lot, but he's wrong on this. That's cool. There are many people who think Cutler is the cat's meow. There are others who don't. I am among those who don't. Of course my opinion doesn't matter to shit, it is Halas Hall's that matters. Funny thing is I actually agree with you that he probably will not be traded, that he probably is going to be our 2015 QB. I just don't agree that it is a good thing.

The Bears need to be actively seeking a replacement. I think Hampton is more right than wrong, but I say Jay has to have a replacement soon.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree that Hampton is involved enough to give one rats ass about Jay's morale, nor is Jay looking for some old Bears to stick up for him. Jay has talent, no one denies it, Hampton sees it. Jay makes better passes than Jimmy Mac and with one of the best O lines in Bears history, Jay could have sat back there and picked teams apart who had to respect Walter's running. Also, with the massive personalities on the Mid 80's Bears, Jimmy Mac had very little to do with leadership of the entire team. The Bears of the 80's was a split team, especially while Buddy Ryan was there.

Well then why the hell would Hampton bring up a stupid comment comparing Cutler to JM then?

Hampton is a bear for life and if it means try to lift team/player spirits from whatever way they have to,then so be it. Stories that players tell to the media for us to hear is almost always a put on.I wanna hear what goes on behind closed doors.Then you know what they really think.

And Jay behind the 85s o-line?
Are you saying its the o-line that Jay can`t perform behind?(because it will not matter what line we have,we will NOT win the SB with him)
Jay has better wrs and te than what Mcmahon had and where does it get him?......making more excuses....
And I still say if JM didn`t get injured the following year and out for the playoffs,we very well could have won it again.
That 86 team was better than the 85 team neither team.JM being injured and flutie playing qb had a lot to do with that.And neither team did not need cutler....................thank God for that one.

And no one denies his talent?......What talent?............Throwing interceptions at the critical parts of games? not hitting wide open wrs in stride? Over throwing? decision making?.......I have not seen one thing fom Jay that makes me say,yeah I want him as my qb.........

And being you wanted to compare the two qbs,which is dumb cause it was so long ago,yes JM had more leadership in his pinky than JC will ever have.And JM`s brash and cocky ways i's what got him respect.Everyone loved the guy.

The 85 team would have laughed Jay out of there.

I can`t wait till he`s gone so his name doesn`t come up for argument anymore.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox was very non committal about Jay... Said stuff like, "We aren't up against any deadline in dealing with Jay, so we will continue to evaluate him and make a decision in due time". Certainly not the, " Jay's our QB of the future" we got from the last crew. It kind of surprised me, really leaves the door open to Jay not being here next year. I thought with his salary constraint, it would be hard for him NOT to be here next season.

Dunno.

Cutting him results in 3 mil less cap space...plus whatever counts towards 2015 with his roster spot replacement. They currently have no tangible plans in place at the QB position should they part ways. IMO- that neutrality was strictly to keep the media at bay.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears need to be actively seeking a replacement. I think Hampton is more right than wrong, but I say Jay has to have a replacement soon.

I dont have issue with seeking a replacement- but I just dont think this is the year for it. Hes a cap deficit for 2015...but cutting him after this season will represent cap savings. With all the help needed- theyll need all the cap space they can get. It just doesnt sound wise to eat 3 mil plus which is the minimum they will absorb if he is cut before his 2015 salary becomes guaranteed.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then why the hell would Hampton bring up a stupid comment comparing Cutler to JM then?

Really just his opinion, the difference though between his opinion and mine or your opinion is, he is a former football player and we are just current fans. To me that weights it a little bit, he sees things with a professional eye that you and I don't have. But really, it is just his opinion. You and I have opinions as well.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont have issue with seeking a replacement- but I just dont think this is the year for it. Hes a cap deficit for 2015...but cutting him after this season will represent cap savings. With all the help needed- theyll need all the cap space they can get. It just doesnt sound wise to eat 3 mil plus which is the minimum they will absorb if he is cut before his 2015 salary becomes guaranteed.

If Winston or Mariota fall I will accept this being the year. Hundley still looked good from UCLA, he might last til the 4th round. I just believe having one of the young quarterbacks standing next to the QBcoach on the sideline is what I want to see.