• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NY Mets @ Chi. Cubs (6/20-23)

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lowdown...

Another deGrom no-decision in tough loss

Mets record held since ’83 … along came Alonso

Mets vs. Cubs - Game Recap - June 23, 2019 - ESPN

Trainer's room:

Mets Manager Mickey Callaway said before the game he had no timeline on the next steps for RHP Noah Syndergaard (right hamstring), who threw a bullpen on Saturday. "We'll talk to the player and see exactly what we want to do next," Callaway said. Syndergaard is eligible to come of the 10-day IL on Wednesday.

Next:

Mets LHP Steven Matz (5-5, 4.28) faces Phillies RHP Zach Eflin (6-7, 2.83) on Monday as the Mets open a four-game series in Philadelphia. Matz is 1-2 with a 5.87 ERA in four starts in June.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read about that. Sounds like a toxic environment all around. Changes certainly need to be made, starting with the manager.

From Yahoo Sports:

The reporter later left the room before the remaining reporters participated in one final interview with Diaz.

While Callaway has never had an outburst like this before with a reporter, the second-year manager has pushed back when asked critical questions.
Vargas had not had an incident like this with a Mets reporter since he joined the team last year.

The Mets released a statement several hours after the event.

“The Mets sincerely regret the incident that took place with one of our beat writers following today’s game in the clubhouse,” the team said. “We do not condone this type of behavior from any employee. The organization has reached out and apologized to this reporter and will have further discussions internally with all involved parties.”

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read about that. Sounds like a toxic environment all around. Changes certainly need to be made, starting with the manager.

Healey & Jeff W. respond....

Newsday's Tim Healey explains incident with Callaway

The Mets apologized to Newsday’s Tim Healey for Sunday’s postgame clubhouse incident at Wrigley Field, where Jason Vargas physically threatened Healey and manager Mickey Callaway told the team’s PR staff to remove the reporter during an obscenity-laced tirade.

“Jeff Wilpon called me (Sunday) evening to apologize on behalf of the organization,” Healey said during a telephone interview. “He stressed the fact that I should feel comfortable being able to do my job at the ballpark and that moving forward, there’s no reason for me to feel uncomfortable. I appreciated that sentiment from him, absolutely.”

The team also issued an e-mail statement later Sunday night, mentioning the apology and pledging “further discussions” with the people involved. The Mets are expected to have GM Brodie Van Wagenen join the Mets in Philadelphia for Monday’s opener of a four-game series against the Phillies.

Last edited: